Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,328

0 members and 3,328 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: What age beardie should I get?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adult

34 24.82%
  • Baby

83 60.58%
  • Neither

20 14.60%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adult or Baby

Thanks

Re: Adult or Baby

if you have the money/resources.. go for a baby..

if you can find an adult that is healthy.. i would get 1.. i have 2 of them and they eat like pigs!
    0.1.0 Colombian Red Tail Boa "Shiva"
    1.1.0 Ball Python "Kaia"&"Joker"
    0.1.0 Corn Snake "Valentine"
    0.0.1 Jungle Carpet Python "Malakai"
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milksnake "Ripley"
    0.1.0 Sumatran Blood Python "Shakira"
    0.0.2 Bearded Dragon "Draco"&"Sandy"
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko "Fred"

~~Picture are available upon request~~

Thanks

Well I would say baby- because I've seen a lot of audult Bd's get attached to someone when their a baby and have a rough time with new people. But trust me- they are A LOT of $$ and work, and a lot of time must be spent with them to make sure they stay tame. Our guy was out AT LEAST 2 hours a day, every day. Also, we spent $20 a week on food for him- which gets to be OVER a grand a year in food. I've heard some owners spend a lot less, and some spend a lot more. Depends on several factors, but the point is that you never know and you have to be careful. Good luck.
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Queen View Post
    OK. I have some more questions:

-At what age can they be housed on sand?
    -I wouldn't be able to feed a beardie 3 times a day. IS that going to be a problem? If it is, how old do they need to be before they can be fed 1 a day?

Thanks

Oh, didnt see that before. Ours as a baby sate sometimes up to five times a day. If you dont have time for that then sorry- but you dont have time for a baby. Even as an adult he ate twice a day. And like I said- he WILL get mean if you do not spend time with it daily. Many people I know got them thinking they were "cool", and never handled them and they all got mean and started to even bite. Everyone warned me that mine would- but he never did. They were all shocked- then I was shocked to learn that they never handled theirs- hence, why they were mean.

And as for the sand- they have to be about 4-6 months, but it depends on how big they are, though, there are way better choices than sand. Sand, that they can and will ingest, can cause impaction and can cut their insideas well. Even the repti-sand- just cause it says it wont harm them on the bag, well thats not true, so dont believe it.
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

Babies are extremely fragile. This means you must take extreme care while handling them. On top of that, their immune systems are also fragile, and they get sick easily.

Another option is a juvenile. Juvies are usually 8-16 months old. They aren't as fragile as babies, but they are smaller than adults and you will have more time with them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Queen View Post
    OK. I have some more questions:

-At what age can they be housed on sand?
    -I wouldn't be able to feed a beardie 3 times a day. IS that going to be a problem? If it is, how old do they need to be before they can be fed 1 a day?

Thanks
    I didn't see that either.

They need to be an adult (over 16 months) to be housed on sand, but I still wouldn't reccommend it. Sand is difficult to clean and is a great home for bacteria.

That is going to be a problem. Babies need to eat 3x a day. A BD that is over 8 months could be fed once a day, but make sure to feed it enough!

Thanks

Congrats! I think an older BD was the best choice. We had to choose between a full grown one & two babies when we went to get our first two, and we went with the babies because I wanted to 'raise' them. I don't regret it now (they are 8 1/2 months old), but they were much more work when they were babies. They can be rather fragile when so young.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

Thanks

only because my brother has 2 baby beardies i would have to say go for the babies. my brother's beardies are so freaking cute.

i think he said they are sandfire's. he said they can breed hypo's or something like that.

but yea dude go for babies.

Thanks

i been breeding dragons for 2 years and if u could of then buy a juvenile cause like many others said they are fragile u gots to make sure u have small crickets or risk an impaction and they are more work but an older one is alright if i were u i would place him on tiles they work best u can easily pik em up and clean them if u aver plan on gettin another one check these out

ww.bloodbankdragons.com

Thanks

Baby beardies are extremely fragile and hyper. Adults are hardier and more docile than babies. Take for instance, the matter of sand (imo, sand shouldn't even be used for adults). Sand is "acceptable" for adults and deadly for babies; this is because adults' digestive systems are much tougher. Adults are SO laid-back with handling and they LOVE to cuddle, while babies are hyper and jump all over the place.

Thanks

I have two beardies myself. I raised the first one and the second one I got as an adult. Now, I do not regret getting the beardie as a baby but it was a lot of work. When they are young they eat like pigs. Now that mine are four years of age they are a piece of cake to care for. They are super friendly and a joy to have.

As far as housing goes, I personally have mine in a 75 gallon tank. They are housed separtely. Although they would be fine as adults in a 40 gallon breeder I spoil mine!

As far as substrate goes I am a big supporter in textured ceramic tile!! It is super easy to clean as well as it will last forever.......unless you break it. As a result there is no chance for any type of impaction. It comes in a multitude of colors and is cheap. I walked into a tile store and told the manager that I needed three pieces of tile. He inquired if my tiles at home needed to be replaced in which I stated no......it's for a bearded dragon. He was so intrigued that he gave them to me for free. I have used tile for years now and would not have another substrate. Besides, sand not only causes impaction but also is quite dusty (the children's play sand).

Just my two cents.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast