Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,008

1 members and 2,007 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Introducing: Monty & Me

Hello All!
    Although I've been lurking on this great board for the last few months, I now would like to introduce myself. My name is Kerig and my new pet as of December 2007 is Monty, a normal male (495 grams), although the breeder who sold him to me claimed he was a 50% Het. Clown, but I have no paperwork to back that up.

Last December I found myself taking my kids to a local (Illinois) reptile swap, and it was there that I was first introduced to Ball Pythons. I had snakes as pets in my teen's, but mostly Boas. That was 30 years ago, and Ball Pythons were not well known as pets, but Boas were. I hadn't had snakes as pets since then, but this swap opened my eyes to these wonderful pets, their ease of care, small size, and gentle manner. So after the swap I went home and did my homework on the web and read as much as I could absorb about Balls and their care, and decided to buy one for myself as a pet after getting permission from my wife, of course. But she had no problem with it! In fact she encouraged me to get one since she thought it may be good 'therapy' for me since I am a disabled chronic pain sufferer and have been unable to work for the last 2 years.

After I set up a proper cage, and with all this new knowledge in my head, I returned to the swap a few weeks later to find myself a new pet! Sure, if my budget was ample I could have gotten any number of beautiful morphs, but I had a limit and was more concerned about finding a healthy Ball with personality (yes, I believe each snake does have an individual personality). When I found Monty I just knew he was the right pet, as did my 11 year-old son. Monty had that nice, thick shape, nice coloring (for a normal), and he seemed gentle but curious and didn't shy away from being held. Just what I was looking for!

Now I had already named him Monty before I found him, and I thought I was clever with the name (at the time...I know better now). But when I brought him home I thought maybe I should name him something else. That was, until my son noticed that he had a natural 'M' in his patterning that I hadn't seen before (see photo below). So I decide he'll remain 'Monty'...unless I finally learn how to sex him (I'm trying) and find that HE is actually a SHE.

So that's my story in a nutshell, and Monty has indeed become great therapy for me...caring for him has helped me keep my mind off my pain. He's also an easy eater (f/t), easy to handle (which I do daily, except for 2 days after eating...of course ), and he definitely knows me...or at least knows me by smell. And although I have only been pooped on once (hey, I'm still learning...aren't we all?), I'm enjoying my new pet tremendously! I'm now considering to get more Balls in the near future and possibly breed them, but not until I'm comfortably educated with all that entails. So I'll be here on this board often to learn more from you all, and to share more myself!

-Kerig

Thanks

Re: Introducing: Monty & Me

niiice little man

Thanks

Welcome to the community! You have a nice looking boy there! I love the "M"!

Thanks

Welcome to BPNet, Kerig. Congrats to you and your family and to Monty on ending up in a caring home.

You are lucky that you live in Chicago. There's a fantastic snake show in Tinley Park every fall that you may want to attend just to have a real view of what's possible with these amazing snakes. A lot of top breeders attend it and from everything I've heard, it's a fantastic and fun experience for the whole family!

http://www.narbc.com/htm2006/tp_index.htm

I love how you are experiencing such nice health benefits from owning your snake. I've always found them a very relaxing snake to just sit with and very helpful with stress, etc. Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures of Monty.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    You are lucky that you live in Chicago. There's a fantastic snake show in Tinley Park every fall that you may want to attend just to have a real view of what's possible with these amazing snakes. A lot of top breeders attend it and from everything I've heard, it's a fantastic and fun experience for the whole family!
    Thanks for the welcome!

I already have plans to attend the Tinley Park NARBC in October...and plan to attend both days...I have family just miles from Tinley Park, which will help with me getting around. I wish I had known about this last year, and I can't wait to go this year...the anticipation is killing me...especially after seeing all the vids online from last month's Texas show. Plus October is the perfect time for all the new Ball hatchlings to be on display!

In the meantime I'm planning to attend Chicago's Reptilefest in April, but since it's 'Exhibition only-No Live Animal Sales' I may as well be a kid in a candy store without any money...

Thanks again for the info!

-Kerig

Thanks

Good looking snake! I enjoyed reading your post because my husband is on disability for chronic pain, and is enjoying caring for and interacting with our snake as well...and his/her/its name is Monti!

I think it's a fun name, lol!
    Cindy,
    0.0.1 Normal BP, Monti

Thanks

Welcome aboard! I'm glad that you and Monty found each other! He sounds like a great snake... he's certainly pretty!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

Hello and welcome!!!

You have a handsome little BP there and I think that it is great that he is helping you out! Thanks for sharing his pics.
    ~*~*~* Pamela *~*~*~

See my dragons!!
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36057