Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,039

1 members and 2,038 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Just finished my BP Enclosure.

So, after reading through thread after thread and reading about all the different things you can do with a glass enclosure, I FINALLY, after 3 days, got everything put together how I like it.

It's a glass 30gallon Critter cage with mesh locking top. I put alluminium foil on 65% of the top to keep humidity stable at about 60%.

I have an under-tank-heater (UTH, still learning the lingo), for the warm side and a 75watt lamp just in case. Usually don't need it. Living in Florida climate has its perks for keeping BP's! As you can see in the pic, the digital gauge is reading about 80.8F ambient right after I misted the cage.

The hides are actually two halves of what used to be a really big Whey Protein jug. (my roomates. He's kind of a meathead And yes I cleaned the jug about 7 times thoroughly before putting it in the cage!) They work great, my BP loves em.

Aspen bedding, large water bowl, and 3 misc plants/pet-store bought branches.

I originally had just the dials for humidity and temp but I searched and found people saying get the Digital one at Lowes. I did, today, set it up in the corner with the sensor along the bottom where the snake hide is. In the pic the humidity is a bit high but I JUST misted the cage a minute before taking the pic as you can see by the water droppletts on the hides.

Anywho! Here's the setup, finally.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/gallery/...7/9/7/3/04.jpg

ANY and ALL comments and or suggestions are welcome! I want to make sure I have the perfect setup for my BP!

As for the BP, I bought him at PetCo, yes, I made sure he was strong, healthy looking, etc. He's shy of course but not nppy at all! Hasn't struck at me yet or even looked like he was going to. Tommorow is his feeding day so we'll see how that goes!

Crossing my fingers.
    Last edited by Karbon; 03-12-2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Please keep images under 800px wide.

Thanks

Re: Just finished my BP Enclosure.

Looks good!

Good luck with the feeding too.

where about in FL are you?

Thanks

SouthWest FL, Estero to be precise.
    If you have no clue where that is (so many people have never heard of it!), it's a small town directly above Naples, FL.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

looks good. I would do news paper instead of aspen. That aspen is a pain to keep up with, and will pull humidity out of the tank. Use news paper instead, and you won't have to mist.

make sure you are measuring temps at substrate level... readings at the top of the tank are useless.

How big is the snake? if it is a new, young snake, the hides are too big.

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

The humidity seems to be doing fine...i've never experienced a humidity problem with aspen...then again, we're all in FL...humidity shouldn't be a big problem.

I like a little bit of aspen because any liquid will be absorbed by the Aspen. rather than spread over a majority of the enclosure...think, a drop of water on a napkin...ya know how it spreads? ok...liquid tends to do the same with newspaper.

Just my preference

Thanks

Huh, I had not noticed aspen messing with the humidity in my boa's cage, though I do use paper even the cages that my female balls are in. Anyway, I LOVE what you've done with the tank! It looks great!! I have 2 suggestions that you might want to consider: move the temp gauge down so that it reads the temp at snake level, and cover three sides of the cage to help with security issues. I love the short little branches and the hides are great! Yea roommate!!
    Ooops, one more thing...Where is your snake??? We need pictures!!!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Oh right, I actually forgot to mention about the sides! I put thick black presentation paper on the outside of the glass on 3 sides. Only the front isn't covered. It's just the shine from the light I used to illuminate the cage when I took the pic that gives a glare.

Here he is! He actually came out for a bit right after I posted this. I THINK he took a drink but i'm not sure, then poked around and slithered back in his hide.

Weird lightning in this picture made his scales shimmer funky. But shiny is good!

Second one, first night home. He's 2 months old. Awe
    0.1 Ball Python - Guinness
    1.0 Spider Ball Python - Gizmo