Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,137

0 members and 3,137 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Live Feeding Morally Wrong???

I recently started looking up videos of other people feeding their snakes on youtube. I really saw some beautiful snakes and it was awesome observing other peoples feeding techniques. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised... but I was completely shocked to see the amount of comments made on those videos of people Bashing Us ... Calling us animal abusers, and making claims of Animal cruelty. The most common comment was people saying"Burn in hell..." and "I hope you get killed by a snake someday." Those I can brush off as common immaturity and ignorance... But when people accuse me of animal abuse and tell me that what I am doing is morally wrong and disgusting... as a complete animal lover I take it personally offensive. I started spewing bits of fact and knowledge to try to educate readers in the most respectful way possible... But I will admit that I encountered some serious ignorance which had no other way to be dealt with than to just tell them how it is. (if you know what I mean).

Anyway I personally feed live and occasionally stunned... Because I believe the act of killing live prey is a programmed part of the animals instinct as a predator. I feel like it takes something away from the snake if you neglect them of this activity. They would try to tell me that it is not natural because the rat has no chance in an enclosed environment. I don't know what they want me to do... Let my 6 foot Boa and my 4 foot Ball loose in the backyard ... so that they can feed more "naturally" (my boa would probably try to eat a cat). I tried to explain that just because the animal is in captivity does not mean that you should neglect it of it's natural way of feeding. Animals raised for feeding is no worse than the process that put dinner on our plate. If anything this is a more natural death for an animal than the way our food is killed. Anyway, I think I could have wrote a small book about it by the time I was done trying to get a few people to understand.

I don't want this to become an argument here on F/T vs Live. An educated respectful debate is always informative and welcome. What I really want to know is if anyone has encountered this kind of ignorance in your adventures in herping... and how did you handle it?

Thanks

Re: Live Feeding Morally Wrong???

people will always see it as cruel, but its natural for snakes to feed on live, as all as people are doing is replicating the natural habitayts and behaviours.

Thanks

perhaps someone should call peta and ask them if its natural for puppies to just mysteriously fly off the same bridge!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    perhaps someone should call peta and ask them if its natural for puppies to just mysteriously fly off the same bridge!
    LOL! That is funny... Honestly .. Some of the things I have read about that group make me wanna be sick.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post

Or end up in a dumpster, dead!
    Scott Collien

Sputnik's Reptiles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptilicious View Post
    people will always see it as cruel, but its natural for snakes to feed on live, as all as people are doing is replicating the natural habitayts and behaviours.
    Exactly....
    What do these people think snakes eat in the wild? Maybe you should comment that if you let your snakes go they might eat their pet cats so you're doing them a favour.

It's just people being ignorant really. I don;t feed my BP or Cali King live but that's only because I don't want the mouse hurting the snake.
    Last edited by Karbon; 03-12-2008 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks

in the uk, feeding live is considered a total sin, even with the majority of snake keepers, which really annoys me, i have fed live and have no problems doing so, but i mainly feed frozen.defrost as its easier, but i also have a good supply of live rats.

Thanks

I like my steak bloody! My snakes like their rat stakes fresh as possible. I see as pampering them by selecting the perfect rat for dinner in the same way my wife would be pampering me with a big steak, baked potato, green beens, small side of greens, and a good beer!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoCaliSon View Post
    I recently started looking up videos of other people feeding their snakes on youtube. I really saw some beautiful snakes and it was awesome observing other peoples feeding techniques. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised... but I was completely shocked to see the amount of comments made on those videos of people Bashing Us ... Calling us animal abusers, and making claims of Animal cruelty. The most common comment was people saying"Burn in hell..." and "I hope you get killed by a snake someday." Those I can brush off as common immaturity and ignorance... But when people accuse me of animal abuse and tell me that what I am doing is morally wrong and disgusting... as a complete animal lover I take it personally offensive. I started spewing bits of fact and knowledge to try to educate readers in the most respectful way possible... But I will admit that I encountered some serious ignorance which had no other way to be dealt with than to just tell them how it is. (if you know what I mean).

Anyway I personally feed live and occasionally stunned... Because I believe the act of killing live prey is a programmed part of the animals instinct as a predator. I feel like it takes something away from the snake if you neglect them of this activity. They would try to tell me that it is not natural because the rat has no chance in an enclosed environment. I don't know what they want me to do... Let my 6 foot Boa and my 4 foot Ball loose in the backyard ... so that they can feed more "naturally" (my boa would probably try to eat a cat). I tried to explain that just because the animal is in captivity does not mean that you should neglect it of it's natural way of feeding. Animals raised for feeding is no worse than the process that put dinner on our plate. If anything this is a more natural death for an animal than the way our food is killed. Anyway, I think I could have wrote a small book about it by the time I was done trying to get a few people to understand.

I don't want this to become an argument here on F/T vs Live. An educated respectful debate is always informative and welcome. What I really want to know is if anyone has encountered this kind of ignorance in your adventures in herping... and how did you handle it?
    I wonder how those people posting those remarks think a snake eats in the wild? They do not stroll up to the local SNAKEYD'S(thier version of mickyd's ) and ask for a frozen thawed rat sandwich
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

In Germany we have pretty stirct rules about animal cruelty,but you can still feed live.
    But it is illegal to kill any animal with a spine(i think the right us word is mammal or something,sorry i just know the germa word).

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast