Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

0 members and 3,361 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Tank w/belly heat only...Opinions please

Ok, after many hours of searching this forum and many dollars spent, I have found (like many others) mulitple problems with my tank setup. My setup currently is a 20L tank with small UTH's on both sides on seperate reostats, CHE in the middle. The lid is mostly covered to retain humidity, but it does not retain enough of it. The CHE sucks it dry. Although my temps are good, my humidity hovers around 40%. Here is my proposed soluition. I have spent a ton of cash trying to get this right so my hope is this will be my final step.

I want to get 2 large UTH's so that about 90% of my tank is covered. I will put them on seperate reostats to achieve ~82 on one side and ~92 on the other. The ~10% not covered by UTH will be in the middle for transition. I know this will keep my humidity good and my house is at a constant temp so the reostats should suffice. My last remaing question...Is it ok to heat my snake with ONLY belly heat? I ask this because I know the ambient temps WILL NOT be very high. However, we are heating a BP that rarely (if ever) leaves the ground or his hides. I am sure the ambient temp in the hide will be good as well. Is anybody using this type of setup? Any other ideas or concerns? Any help would be most appreciated.
    My Daughters name all the animals...

0.1 BP - Normal (Seviper)
    0.1 RTB - Normal BCI (Ekans)
    0.0.1 GTP - Merauke (Carnivine)
    0.1 RTB - Suriname BCC (Sand Ma'am...a.k.a. Sandy)
    0.1 RTB - Anery BCI (Onix)

Thanks

Re: Tank w/belly heat only...Opinions please

i was under the impression that UTH only was the preffered method? if there is enough insulation around 3 sides and the top (with holes to prevent stagnant air) i would imagine that the ambient are would slowly but surely increase and level out. i'm currently running uth/che and constantly misting to keep the humidity up. on friday, however, i should be getting my thermostat and 2nd UTH in the mail :-D

Thanks

I use two UTH's in a similar way but I do have a single black light that is 75 watts (my house is pretty cold.) My tank is as tall as it is wide so I need the high wattage to keep the ambient temps around 80. In a longer tank, 75 watts would likely be too much and would kill the humidity. The black light I have is from the hardware store and gives off next to nothing for light. My humidity stays at 60% with some damp towels on top of the tank which I soak every other day and wash frequently. During a shed, I put some sphagnum moss in the tank to up the humidity a bit.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by td30 View Post
    Ok, after many hours of searching this forum and many dollars spent, I have found (like many others) mulitple problems with my tank setup. My setup currently is a 20L tank with small UTH's on both sides on seperate reostats, CHE in the middle. The lid is mostly covered to retain humidity, but it does not retain enough of it. The CHE sucks it dry. Although my temps are good, my humidity hovers around 40%. Here is my proposed soluition. I have spent a ton of cash trying to get this right so my hope is this will be my final step.

I want to get 2 large UTH's so that about 90% of my tank is covered. I will put them on seperate reostats to achieve ~82 on one side and ~92 on the other. The ~10% not covered by UTH will be in the middle for transition. I know this will keep my humidity good and my house is at a constant temp so the reostats should suffice. My last remaing question...Is it ok to heat my snake with ONLY belly heat? I ask this because I know the ambient temps WILL NOT be very high. However, we are heating a BP that rarely (if ever) leaves the ground or his hides. I am sure the ambient temp in the hide will be good as well. Is anybody using this type of setup? Any other ideas or concerns? Any help would be most appreciated.
    All i have is a UTH on my spiders enclosure and he is doing very well.In my opinion ditch the CHE humidity sucking piece of garbage
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

i have a 70 gal and use uth as my heat source i only turn on my heat lamp if my humidity gets to high to dry it out a bit, other than that its all good
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks

Thank you all. I am ordering a couple large UTH's and dropping the CHE.
    My Daughters name all the animals...

0.1 BP - Normal (Seviper)
    0.1 RTB - Normal BCI (Ekans)
    0.0.1 GTP - Merauke (Carnivine)
    0.1 RTB - Suriname BCC (Sand Ma'am...a.k.a. Sandy)
    0.1 RTB - Anery BCI (Onix)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 771subliminal View Post
    i have a 70 gal and use uth as my heat source i only turn on my heat lamp if my humidity gets to high to dry it out a bit, other than that its all good
    Do you use one UTH or two? If just one how do you keep the cool side above 80?
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

Thanks

I've actually been doing some research and am looking into the radiant heat panels currently available from Big Apple. They are a little pricey, but I think it may well be worth playing with. They supposedly have no real affect on humidity and have a lot of new safety features in them. Can not speak from experience yet, but maybe in a couple months I will have some first hand experience with them!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gloryhound View Post
    I've actually been doing some research and am looking into the radiant heat panels currently available from Big Apple. They are a little pricey, but I think it may well be worth playing with. They supposedly have no real affect on humidity and have a lot of new safety features in them. Can not speak from experience yet, but maybe in a couple months I will have some first hand experience with them!
    Hi there!~ You could also call Rich at RBI. He has been using and is now selling RHP's; he'd be able to answer questions you might have about them!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

i know you got your questions answered but i have another suggestion. you can make the switch to tubs, i have a tub with two small UTH's on each side plus a CHE over the hot side and i get 90 on the hot side, 80 on the cool and humidity is usually 55-60

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast