Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,248

2 members and 3,246 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Humidity Problem

I have a problem with humidity - i have a rack setup with Rubbermaid tubs (31QT & 12 QT), heat mats, thermostats, acurites, aspen bedding, freedom breeder hides.

The problem is that I am getting higher levels of humidity than I would want (around 80%) on the larger tubs. I have the heat mat running along the back of the tubs where the hide is located. The freedom breeder hide has a water dish built in and I am using this for water.

I am getting humidity especially at the front of the tub where there is no heat mat - temps are running at 88-92f at the rear of the tub with 82 - 84 at the front.

Tubs have been drilled out with holes to provide air circulation/ventilation.

I get humidity occasionally running down the side of the tub and therefore making the substrate wet and I am concerned I could end up with health problems.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Tony
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    tonymul
    www.emeraldislereptiles.co.uk

Thanks

Re: Humidity Problem

I'd either put more holes in or make the existing holes bigger. I use my son's wood burning tool and put 5 holes in each of the short sides and six holes in each of the long sides. The holes are about, I don't know, maybe almost 1/4 big. Just add more holes and it'll be fine. Another trick is making sure the water bowl is in the coolest place possible in the tub! Hope this helps!!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Its possible you have an area of stagnant air around where you have your tubs located. Putting a fan in the room to circulate the air a littlbe better might help you. If not I would try some more holes...some of my tubs look like swiss cheese in the summer.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Its possible you have an area of stagnant air around where you have your tubs located. Putting a fan in the room to circulate the air a littlbe better might help you. If not I would try some more holes...some of my tubs look like swiss cheese in the summer.
    I'd either put more holes in or make the existing holes bigger. I use my son's wood burning tool and put 5 holes in each of the short sides and six holes in each of the long sides. The holes are about, I don't know, maybe almost 1/4 big. Just add more holes and it'll be fine. Another trick is making sure the water bowl is in the coolest place possible in the tub! Hope this helps!!

Tony
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    tonymul
    www.emeraldislereptiles.co.uk