Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,535

2 members and 3,533 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Temp on substrate vs Temp on glass

I have found that there is a major difference between the temperature measured on the glass (over UTH) and on the substrate in the same location. My warm side concerns me and here is why...In order to get the temp in the warm side hide to 92, the temp measured on the glass needs to be ~104. I am using about 1/2" of coconut fiber as my substrate. I have placed my hand on this 104 deg glass and it seems a little hot, but It will not burn me no matter how long I leave my hand on it. Do you think this is safe? The only way I see to avoid the possibility of the snake contacting the glass is by going to carpet, newspaper, or paper towles. The tank is on display, so I prefer not to use these, but do I have any other option?
    My Daughters name all the animals...

0.1 BP - Normal (Seviper)
    0.1 RTB - Normal BCI (Ekans)
    0.0.1 GTP - Merauke (Carnivine)
    0.1 RTB - Suriname BCC (Sand Ma'am...a.k.a. Sandy)
    0.1 RTB - Anery BCI (Onix)

Thanks

Re: Temp on substrate vs Temp on glass

Quote Originally Posted by td30 View Post
    I have found that there is a major difference between the temperature measured on the glass (over UTH) and on the substrate in the same location. My warm side concerns me and here is why...In order to get the temp in the warm side hide to 92, the temp measured on the glass needs to be ~104. I am using about 1/2" of coconut fiber as my substrate. I have placed my hand on this 104 deg glass and it seems a little hot, but It will not burn me no matter how long I leave my hand on it. Do you think this is safe? The only way I see to avoid the possibility of the snake contacting the glass is by going to carpet, newspaper, or paper towles. The tank is on display, so I prefer not to use these, but do I have any other option?
    Turn it down! And get a heat lamp or ceramic lamp or something. The snake will get on the glass and hurt himself. It's more important that his belly temp be at 92 and the rest can be cooler. He/She is going to want to be down where its warm.
    1.0.0 Normal BP: Vincent Vega

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skoalbasher View Post
    Turn it down! And get a heat lamp or ceramic lamp or something. The snake will get on the glass and hurt himself. It's more important that his belly temp be at 92 and the rest can be cooler. He/She is going to want to be down where its warm.
    I don't know if I was clear enough, but it is the belly temp that I am talking about. The temp on the substrate itself as measured by a PE-2 temp gun is about 92. But in order to achieve that, the temp measured on the glass (under the substrate) is 104. I already have a CHE that keeps the ambient temp up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by td30 View Post
    I don't know if I was clear enough, but it is the belly temp that I am talking about. The temp on the substrate itself as measured by a PE-2 temp gun is about 92. But in order to achieve that, the temp measured on the glass (under the substrate) is 104. I already have a CHE that keeps the ambient temp up.
    the only problem is that ball pythons often like to burrow down into the substrate and the last thing you want is that snake to get down onto that glass. it may seem like the substrate is thick enough but i have seen balls do stranger things. better safe than sorry.

Thanks

put a peice of newspaper over the glass and cover it with the substrte, i did this after my snake got a pretty nasty burn from laying on the glass

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FL0OD View Post
    the only problem is that ball pythons often like to burrow down into the substrate and the last thing you want is that snake to get down onto that glass. it may seem like the substrate is thick enough but i have seen balls do stranger things. better safe than sorry.
    Yes, better safe than sorry. I have already turned it down, but now if he doesn't burrow down, his belly temp will be maybe 80 degrees or so on the WARM side. Isn't that too cool?

Thanks

are you using an vivarium? if you are using a 20gallon which seems to be what most people use. put a low wattage CHE on the same side above the UTH. just make sure that you are on top of that coconut substrate because that stuff drys out fast with that CHE. if you are using a large tank try a little higher wattage CHE. tanks are always a challenge to keep just right. some time you just have to experiment and keep in mind its not going to kill your snake to be a little cool.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FL0OD View Post
    are you using an vivarium? if you are using a 20gallon which seems to be what most people use. put a low wattage CHE on the same side above the UTH. just make sure that you are on top of that coconut substrate because that stuff drys out fast with that CHE. if you are using a large tank try a little higher wattage CHE. tanks are always a challenge to keep just right. some time you just have to experiment and keep in mind its not going to kill your snake to be a little cool.
    Thanks, I think I am going give a cage carpet (repti carper or the zilla product) a try. He won't get under it and I can dial in the temp right to where I want it.

Thanks

really your best bet if you are going to do that because that pad is so thin get a thermostat that way you can regulate the heat correctly. I believe any of the smaller ones will work fine for what you are needing then you can ditch the CHE and just use the UTH but you have to have some way to regulate that things heat or you will wake up to a cooked snake. Also keep in mind that those Zilla things need to be cleaned really well because they hold junk in them. good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

The ideal solution is to use a thermostat and adjust it so that the temp at the surface of the glass is around 92-95 and then adjust the depth of the substrate till the temp inside the hide is 90-93.

It is safest to assume your snake will burrow at some point and avoid any possible problems rather than just assume it will never do it.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast