Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,500

2 members and 3,498 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sick rat

Thanks

sick rat

i think one of my rats is sick. she keeps on making this snorting sound. like something is clogged up her nose. she's also not as active. like when i open the tub,she just lies there. unlike the others that scramble. what should i do? should i just wait for it to get well and the sickness to go away?

thank you

raymond

Thanks

Re: sick rat

First thing you should likely be doing is getting her out of the enclosure. You don't want the other rats to become ill from exposure to her. Also they may turn on her as she's obviously ill.

It depends on your own choices here. If you want to take her to the vet then by all means do so. It's likely some sort of respiratory issue that may well be treatable. If you don't wish to do that and she is suffering and unable to even rise from the bedding, then it may be more humane to simply put her down.

Either way I'd certainly not be leaving such a sick animal in with a still healthy group.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

That snorting sound is what I heard coming from one of my rats. He wasn't lethargic, but sneezed a lot and had a puffy face even though he was running around like usual. It took a round of antibiotics to clear it up.

I do agree with what Jo said wholeheartedly.

Thanks

i already seperated her last night from the other rats. she's just with another male rat who never stopped sneezing since i bought him last month. i just checked on her awhile ago and she seems to be doing better now. she's now running around and eating.

thank you

raymond

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    That snorting sound is what I heard coming from one of my rats. He wasn't lethargic, but sneezed a lot and had a puffy face even though he was running around like usual. It took a round of antibiotics to clear it up.

I do agree with what Jo said wholeheartedly.
    how were you able to give it some antibiotic? and what kind? thank you

raymond

Thanks

I took him to my vet and she prescribed him some Baytril. It's controlled here in the states, so you can only get it from Vets. I gave it to him orally and he hated it, but it did help. Baytril isn't a cheap anti-biotic either. I paid 15 dollars for 1 cc. In all it cost me 50$ to treat him for the visit and the anti-biotics.

Thanks

$50?! id just whack it and buy another 25 more for 50 bucks!!! LOL!!

anyway thank you for the help. ill just wait for it to get well. if she doesnt then maybe ill feed her off.

thank you

raymond enriquez

Thanks

Yea I know, most wouldnt do that for feeders. He's fathered some litters, but makes a better pet. So he gets to hang out in luxury with his best mate.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I personally would not feed it off. I don't think it would have anything that could make your snake sick; most illnesses can't cross species, or at least not 2 species that are so different.

However, it if is not well, then it won't be the best nutrition for your snake. Especially if you give it a chance to get well, then feed it off once it is too far gone... some of the nutrition will have "gone" too. As you already pointed out, one rat isn't worth much, so you aren't really losing anything, and are protecting the well-being of your snake.

If you aren't going to take it to a vet (which I totally understand your point about not being worth it financially, I might make the same decision), just put it down whenever you figure is appropriate, giving it a chance to get well but don't leave it in misery when it obviously has no hope of recovery. And then dispose of it.
    Casey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
    I personally would not feed it off. I don't think it would have anything that could make your snake sick; most illnesses can't cross species, or at least not 2 species that are so different.

However, it if is not well, then it won't be the best nutrition for your snake. Especially if you give it a chance to get well, then feed it off once it is too far gone... some of the nutrition will have "gone" too. As you already pointed out, one rat isn't worth much, so you aren't really losing anything, and are protecting the well-being of your snake.

If you aren't going to take it to a vet (which I totally understand your point about not being worth it financially, I might make the same decision), just put it down whenever you figure is appropriate, giving it a chance to get well but don't leave it in misery when it obviously has no hope of recovery. And then dispose of it.
    hmm..true..that is a good point. thank you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast