Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,123

0 members and 2,123 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

BALL PYTHON vs. RED TAIL BOA

Hello everyone, I have a BP right now and really want a RTB. Room isnt a problem b/c ill sleep on the couch and turn my room into their's if i have too. I was just wondering, how different are the two? What is the difference in level of care. Is it more difficult to keep a RTB happy then a BP, why?
    Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks

Re: BALL PYTHON vs. RED TAIL BOA

Hi Alex! I am a new owner of my first Bci boa, a red-tail Columbian, and also own a lot of balls. There are a lot of personality differences! I really love the Columbians and their husbandry needs are fairly simple- like balls. Columbians have similar temp needs as balls (90-92F) and don't need the humidity quite as high as balls (about 50% tops).

My Columbian is a feisty and curious girl, especially when compared to a ball python! My balls will stay in their hides and be mellow; Zelda will lurk on the length of cork wood she has, or on the most top branch of her tree and dare me not to hold her!!

We only got her recently and she slammed a f/t rat fuzzy last night. Oh yes, they grow much larger than balls but much more slowly; taking them 4-6 years to really get l-a-r-g-e!!! So, we haven't really held her yet (acclimation and now digestion) but will do so this weekend where she will proceed to bite the heck out of us only because she was not handled by the breeder and so will need to be trained. I have been assured by other forum members that this experience should only last a few days before she is adjusted to being handled~ I'll let you know!

After she is tamed out, all of the literature states that Columbians are just a mellow snake with great 'lap dog' personalities. To learn more from others, I suggest Vin Russo's book and de Visjoli's book! I hope this helps you some...!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

thanks, that does help, i know that there are several types of RTB's and i've heard that the columbian are the more "aggressive" ones. Not sure if that is just a stereotype or if there is some truth behind it. They are located all up and down South America and that is the reason there are several different types right, the region they are from?
    My buddy has two that he bought from a local breeder ALLAMERICANREDTAILS.COM (HEARD OF THEM) and i have handeled them on occasion and love the way they squeeze and roam, unlike my ball, she'll fall off my arm if i dont watch her, i think she's slow, haha

Thanks

I have a 2 year old Female BP that is average size... and a 6 foot Red Tail... I could never chooses favorites between my kids... But here is the reasons I love each one individually.

My BP is extremely chill and once she's around my neck she is happy and doesn't want to move. As far as the Lap Dog quality my BP steals that cake for sure. I can set her on my lap... and she will find some way to snuggle up and it literally looks like she falls asleep watching TV. She will stay on me for hours without trying to explore. Occasionally she comes into my ofice with me
    becasue I just sit at a desk and she loves being out and about.
    If she is not on my neck I make her a little cave under the phone platform on my desk and she curls up in there and pokes her little head out to keep an eye on things. When I am tired and stressed from a long day... Some quality time with my Lucy is always therapudic.

My Red Tail Ziggy is the man!!!... I'm not sure if he is any kind of Morph but his colors seem lighter than other Redtails I have seen. Red Tails are much more Aboreal than BP's meaning they like to move around and climb... and will have a noticable stronger grip than BP's. When I take out Ziggy he has that "Breathtaking" effect on people. Another reaction I get from my surfing buddies is "Bad @$$!!!". He is just so awesome looking and affectionate it's alomost impossible not to be drawn to him. My mom was uncomfortable looking at my snakes and when I took out my BP she passed on holding him... When I took out Ziggy she was so amazed by him she overcame her fear and asked to hold him to experience his grip. He is so explorative and Alert of everything around him. He does have the Lap dog quality but is to much of a handfull to just chill with like my BP, He's like a Rotweiller that loves it on your lap but eventually you have to kick off the couch. His personality is the best. Whenever he meets a new person the first thing he does is move into there face to sniff around and give you a quick kiss to get to know you. He is not head shy like most snakes i have met... and actually is super friendly and absolutley loves human contact... Never once has he showed signs of a striking a person.

As far as the people that come through and look at my animals... The Concensus is that Ziggy is Fav. He is just such a freindly sweetheart at his size... It makes you feel like a Bad Ass when you hold him. Being a bigger snake, he gives you a real understanding about how awesome these animals really are and how much respect they really deserve.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALEX B. View Post
    thanks, that does help, i know that there are several types of RTB's and i've heard that the columbian are the more "aggressive" ones....
    Nope, I wasn't clear enough! Columbian's are not aggressive~ just my baby because she hasn't been handled yet. As soon as I get brave and handle her, she'll calm right down and be amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCaliSon View Post
    My Red Tail Ziggy is the man!!!... He is so explorative and Alert of everything around him. He does have the Lap dog quality but is to much of a handfull to just chill with like my BP, He's like a Rotweiller that loves it on your lap but eventually you have to kick off the couch.
    Like a rottie!! Too funny!! I also have a rottie and I think that will be the perfect analogy for Zelda when she calms down and gets accustomed to being handled!!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."

Thanks

Just my two cents since I was debating between the two.

I know all animals have to eat, but since the RTB gets so much bigger than the ball, consider what you will have to feed it. I've never had one but the guy who was telling me about them said I would end up feeding it rabbits, which I really don't think I could do. Rats and mice fine, but rabbits? lol

Anyways, just thought I would say that. Good luck whatever you choose though. RTBs are gorgeous!

Thanks

The odds of youhaving to feed your red tail are slim, also you could go witha couple of rats instead of a rabbit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel View Post
    The odds of youhaving to feed your red tail are slim, also you could go witha couple of rats instead of a rabbit.
    Absolutely! I have asked several people about feeding RTB's when they're older and all have jumbo rats are fine!

~~McKinsey~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

I have both, and they are very different. My bp is always ready to lay on me and not move around much. My RTB is always exploring and moving about. You can think of them as bigger and stronger cornsnakes. There is not a ton of difference between husbandry for the most part. You can feed adults jumbo rats and not have to feed rabbits. You have to be more careful when it comes to prey size for boas....don't over estimate. They are known to be more likely to have a regurge if fed a much too large prey item than a bp would be. I love em both and it depends on my mood as to which one I bring out at any given time.
    --Walt

Thanks

hmm... maybe my next one will be a RTB then

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast