Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,918

2 members and 2,916 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,553
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Onset of Scale Rot... What to do?

So Kingsley my male spider loves crawling around his cage but he always splashes water onto his substrate. I use coco husk so its pretty absorbent but I held him today and noticed some of his belly scales look like they are getting rot. I moved his water dish away from where he usually crawls around but does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do to prevent him from splashing his water around? AND... Will his scales clear up if he doesnt get wet anymore?
    1.0 Spider Ball (Kingsley)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Onset of Scale Rot... What to do?

I would suggest until he clears up to go to newspaper as substrate. Keep just enough water in his bowl for him to drink. Treat the belly with triple antibiotic oientment. Do this until he sheds again, should clear up.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

First it really depends on the extent, if severe you need to see a vet because antibiotics might be required.

If benign clean the area with betadine, and apply triple anti-biotic ointment.

Make sure the area stays nice and clean, and if this is a small area it should clear up with the next shed.

Replace your substrate by paper towel.

Get an heavy ceramic water dish to make sure your BP does not tip it over in the future.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I have a very heavy ceramic bowl that my bp cannot knock or disturb. You can try a heavier bowl in the future but for now as suggested just give him a small bowl of water he can drink from, try and make it a heavy bowl so he cant hit it. Good-luck!
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

Thanks

I actually have a heavy ceramic dish. The kidney shaped one Zilla makes. He just climbs up the side of the tank (10gal) and then slowly falls into it ha. I did move it away from where he does that though. Is there any brand of triple antibiotic I should use? I have one made by TopCare "Bacitracin Zinc Fist Aid Antibiotic" would that work?

AND a side note hey crawls into his dish as he moves around the tank, will that make it worse? Its like he's stupid and just does what he can to make it worse....
    Last edited by giaach; 03-04-2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: needed to add some more info

Thanks

Well as said you can just take that out for now and change the substrate to newspaper so you can see any spills or urine/poop that could worsen his condition by him crawling through it. A small bowl of water is enough for him to drink from, he shouldnt need it to soak or anything, you may have adjust humidity a little more with the smaller water bowl.
    Missi

Thanks

Okay I cleaned out his entire cage, top to bottom, and I replaced the coco husk for newspaper. I got smaller ceramic dish for his water and I bumped the ambient temps up. I need to get more Neosporian because the stuff I had was a expired. He only has a little bit of rot in small places. I need some more help though, anyone have anything? I just don't want it to get worse... Will it get worse on its own or does it need water to continue spreading?

Thanks

I wouldn't worry just yet if it is minor. Just keep the enclosure very clean, dry newspaper. If you STILL find he is knocking the dish put less water in. As long as there is some water, he will find it if hes thirsty. Watch his condition closely and if it does not make any improvement after his next shed, take him to a vet. Also if his condition worsens, vet visit. Don't worry too much, you've done what you can do. The triple antbiotic/neosporin should help. If you do end up going to the vet it shouldnt be too much. I had to treat my bp for mouth rot and payed a total of $90 for his meds and visit.
    Missi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by giaach View Post
    Okay I cleaned out his entire cage, top to bottom, and I replaced the coco husk for newspaper. I got smaller ceramic dish for his water and I bumped the ambient temps up. I need to get more Neosporian because the stuff I had was a expired. He only has a little bit of rot in small places. I need some more help though, anyone have anything? I just don't want it to get worse... Will it get worse on its own or does it need water to continue spreading?
    You could try calling the vet or taking him in for an appointment.

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery