Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,181

2 members and 3,179 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

re: feeding my ball python

I went down and bought a rat, but didn't see the reply that I should ask for mice bedding and throw it into the container to trick my ball into thinking it's a mouse.

I tried holding the rat by the tail and lowering it into tank, but no response other then retreating into one of his hides.

I thought maybe I should just drop the rat on the other side of the tank and I did, but he came out of the hide, followed it around for awhile until the rat started coming toward him. He then started panicking and trying to climb out of tank. I removed the rat as soon as he started to get spooked.
    So, I'm thinking I better just stick with the mice or should I try again tomorrow. Should I go back to the pet store and get the mice bedding or did I completely mess up by not having it in the first place? I have another tank that I'm keeping the rat in right now.
    Thanks,
    Lisa

Thanks

Re: feeding my ball python

Don't seem like hungry ball python behavior to me. You should not need to roll the rat in mouse bedding or try to scent the rat any way.

The rat my be too big for your snake (how big around is your snake, just estimate, like "D" size battery around or what not and how big is the rat around?), the snake may not be hungry right now (when was the last time the snake ate?).

Since the python is used to mice, a rat is obviously going to be bigger then what he is used to, you may need to get a rat that is about the size of an adult mouse, a fuzzy rat (a small rat with hair but still has its eyes closed) and present it to your ball. True, it may look like a small meal, and a small rat with its eyes open would look like a more sizable meal, just remember, the mice the ball python attacts is smaller then a small rat. So the animal may be intimidated by bigger prey items

Since you attempted to feed today, wait a week, let the animal relax, get hungry, then find a fuzzy rat (or two) and drop it in with the snake. If you have hemostats, you can grab the rat by the scruff of the neck and present it a few inches from the snakes face and hold it there. Kind of tease the ball with the rat, a fuzzy rat is not going to move like an adult mouse will, just kind of wiggle the fuzzy back in forth, make it appear the rat is checking the snake out, but just don't shove the rat in the snakes face, keep it a a distance.

Have you seen Adams feeding video:
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=61201

check it out.

Just remember, to start out small and slow while switching to rats.

Thanks

Thanks..
    I will try in a week. The rat was a small rat (the smallest I could get). It was smaller then a D battery. The rat was about the same size or smaller then the girth of my ball.
    I just got my ball, but he was being fed 3 mice a week.
    Someone suggested to try a small rat, so that's what I did.
    The last time he ate was last Tuesday (3 mice) and then I brought him home Friday night.
    I wasn't sure what size mouse to feed him, so I bought a small mouse(the one right above hopper size) and it looked like a snack to him and after he ate it, he kept hunting in the cage. I figured he was still hungry.
    So, technically the last time he ate was this morning. That mouse was smaller then a C battery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Ball pythons are ambush hunters and need to feel secure to eat. Some will sit in their hides in ambush mode with head sticking out. If they feel vulnerable or insecure they wont be intersted in eating. Try leaving the rat in the room with snake 15-20 minutes before introducing him in the tank. The snake will smell him and should go into feed mode if hungry. You also have to make sure your temps and humidity are correct because a cool dry snake wont be too hungry either. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks

I watched the video, great video. I definitely will use his same techniques. Thanks for the link.

Lisa

Thanks

I just got the tank stabilized yesterday. I had to buy uth and and a rheostat to control the bulbs on top.
    I also purchased a humidity and thermometer. I also covered 3/4 of lid with foil. I also moved the water bowl over the uth and moved one of the hides in the middle.
    It's reading 92 warm side and 85 cool side and humidity is 60% right now.
    On Sunday it was running 100-102 degrees and I pulled back the bulbs to lower the heat.
    Is that ok?
    I'm working with a glass tank with wire mesh lid and it's taking some work to get it right. lol

Thanks

Thanks ajeff and Raul. You guys have been very helpful.