Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,003

0 members and 2,003 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

setting up my first tank

as of right now, this is what my tank looks like. i just got a humidity sensor and am waiting for everything to equalize, but i know the humidity and temperatures are below what they should be.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...u/DSCN1403.jpg

i know there are some more things that are going to need changed, but being that this is my first shot at this, any input would be great
    Last edited by dr del; 03-03-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: please keep pictures under 800 pixels wide

Thanks

Re: setting up my first tank

Here is a great 'sticky': a write up regarding ways to do glass tanks: http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=56846
    Please read this info and you'll learn a ton! Any questions you have that this tome (!) doesn't answer, or you have questions about, ask! Your tank looks like it's coming along, but the 'sticky' will help you along further!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Nice setup. What are you using for substrate? Is it Eco Earth or something? I just bought the Zoo Med Repti Bark for my humidity issues.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deeplove View Post
    Nice setup. What are you using for substrate? Is it Eco Earth or something? I just bought the Zoo Med Repti Bark for my humidity issues.
    yea, its the eco earth. although, now that i have a humidity sensor, i am noticing that in my enclosure the humidity level doesn't stay up. it spikes right after wetting the substrate down, then levels back off. from what i've been reading, the heat lamp combined with a mesh top is just sucking the water vapor right out.

Thanks

Not bad actually pretty cool! What kind of bulb are you useing? And how much watts?

Thanks

I would suggest 2 identical hides, one on the warm and one on the cool side, small enough for the ball to feel the sides of the hide on the sides of his coils when he is inside of them. Also, the tank is really tall and you're losing a lot of the humidity from that (and the glass...) Can you get a shorter tank? Some people use 20Long tanks and say it helps somewhat with the temp and humidity fluxes.
    What are you using for belly heat and how are you controlling that heat?
    Is the lamp on to keep ambient temps up? Do you keep it on the time?
    It's cool that you're reading and figuring it all out!! Keep it up!!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."

Thanks

right now my heat lamp is a 150 watt, the other lamp is a 100 watt. the tank is a 50gallon breeder (what was recommended to me at the pet store). its a fairly large snake already, about 40 inches. after reading some more of that 'sticky', i plan on adding some heavy plastic that we have left over from covering our windows to the top of the cage to help keep in water vapor.

as far ans the hides are concerned, is it critical that they are 'identical' or just same general size and shape?

as far as belly heat is concerned, i have nothing right now. the pet store said i 'should' be fine with the heating that i have. but after reading these forums fore a while, i think we have some very different opinions on how to do things. the people i talked to had several snakes themselves, so i don't want to discount their advice entirely, but i have read a lot of opinions otherwise.

Thanks

well, good news! my temps for the warm and cool side are finally correct (give or take a couple degrees) and my humidity is finally where it should be. adding that heavy plastic to the lid really did the trick!

Thanks

I am so happy the sticky helped you with your set-up; it's really thorough and well written! How are you measuring your temps?

~~McKinsey~~

Thanks

an infrared temp gun and one of the digital temp/humidity readers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast