Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,292

3 members and 3,289 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tank is cycled

Thanks

Re: Tank is cycled

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    The rule of thumb is one inch of fish per gallon.So you might be able to get 2 pair of swordtails or mollies for example plus a cleaner fish
    Not true at all, unless your taking the length, width, and height of the fish all into account and multiplying it together to get the "inch per gallon" Keep in mind/the equation depending on the fish, it may grow much larger so add that in. However, disreguard this rule use common sense instead if your tank isn't wide enough for the fish, even if the gallonage comes out to being enough.
    Last edited by Warm-blooded; 04-09-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks

I'd got for some molllies..there are a lot of choices if i remember correctly.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingLink View Post
    An oscar
    I know this thread is old, but I can't believe I missed this completely,nor that anyone corrected it when said, and I sure hope this was sarcasm when it was, therefore I'm going to correct it so others that read this aren't mislead. Oscars grow very quickly, and the debate whether or not a 55 or 75 would suffice as bare min for life goes on (75 gives extra width), so in no way would a ten gallon work, unless it would only be for temp. housing/grow-out. In other words, just like in the snake world, where bps are probably the most abused when it comes to proper husbandry, the same is true if not worse for oscars in the fish one (along w/pacus and iridescent sharks).I have my oscar in a 90, and hes going into a 220, I know that is more than adequate, but I love my fish like most of you do your herps. So please please please, never buy an oscar with plans only to keep in a ten, although seeing how they act even in the stores, I can see the temptation, as most of these end up back in these stores dumped off when they outgrow their tank, or dead.
    Last edited by Warm-blooded; 04-15-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warm-blooded View Post
    I know this thread is old, but I can't believe I missed this completely,nor that anyone corrected it when said, and I sure hope this was sarcasm when it was, therefore I'm going to correct it so others that read this aren't mislead. Oscars grow very quickly, and the debate whether or not a 55 or 75 would suffice as bare min for life goes on (75 gives extra width), so in no way would a ten gallon work, unless it would only be for temp. housing/grow-out. In other words, just like in the snake world, where bps are probably the most abused when it comes to proper husbandry, the same is true if not worse for oscars in the fish one (along w/pacus and iridescent sharks).I have my oscar in a 90, and hes going into a 220, I know that is more than adequate, but I love my fish like most of you do your herps. So please please please, never buy an oscar with plans only to keep in a ten, although seeing how they act even in the stores, I can see the temptation.
    I'm about 99.5% sure the oscar suggestion was a joke.
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by python.princess View Post
    I'm about 99.5% sure the oscar suggestion was a joke.
    I know and I stated that, but the other .5 percent is enough to cause worry, as I guarantee not everyone, in fact most of the public for that matter, knows thier potential size (esp when they see the 2 inchers at the pet store), of which they quickly attain, mine jumped from 2 to 9ish in 3 months, and is 12 right now at less than a year. You will have to excuse me for being a little @nal about this, but it's something I really care about, and if I even saved one fish or educated one person by posting this, then I think it was worth my time.

Thanks

im guessing your talking about a salty tank? what is your complete set up? you could get a clown, true percs are awesome. use ro/di water otherwise your nitrates will stay up.

Thanks

start with guppys they are hardy and are livebareres

Thanks

So what did you go with? Aquariums are very rewarding. I like it when they are so established, and you're so intune with them and their pHs, that they nearly become self-sustaining (of course with occasional water changes and filter maintenance..)

Quote Originally Posted by Warm-blooded View Post
    I know and I stated that, but the other .5 percent is enough to cause worry, as I guarantee not everyone, in fact most of the public for that matter, knows thier potential size (esp when they see the 2 inchers at the pet store), of which they quickly attain, mine jumped from 2 to 9ish in 3 months, and is 12 right now at less than a year. You will have to excuse me for being a little @nal about this, but it's something I really care about, and if I even saved one fish or educated one person by posting this, then I think it was worth my time.

I am an Oscar person too. It hurts me that people buy them as babies and then want to dump them off to someone when they grow. If someone doesn't want a plant, they shouldn't plant a seed. I have one rescue Oscar that my friend gave me because someone gave him to her, when he outgrew that person.. they are awesome fish.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12