Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

1 members and 3,186 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Need to start accumulating information

Now that I think about it, we didn't use anything at night for our beardies either. They had the UV light that was a long strip of light and a basking light. We had ours on play sand and never had any impaction issues.

Is play sand ok for adults? I would like a natural looking enclosure if I get a beardie.

Anyone care to post pictures of their beardies' setup? I love looking at enclosures and it might give me an idea of a good set up. I remember ours rather easily. We had them on play sand. There was a flat rock formation on one end, used for basking and wood branches for climbing and a food dish. We misted them once a day, not the enclosure, just them.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    Er... Beardies will NOT keep eating and eating, they will stop when full. Its just some people dont want to feed them that much because of how much bugs cost.
    I never, ever limited my beardie's food because I thought bugs were too expensive. I fed him what I believed to be appropriate through extensive research and reading. I have seen several different opinions on the issue of how much to feed beardies, so I do not want to say that you are correct or that I am. But that is not generally the reason that some people do not feed as much as others, except maybe in inexperienced keepers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icygirl View Post
    I never, ever limited my beardie's food because I thought bugs were too expensive. I fed him what I believed to be appropriate through extensive research and reading. I have seen several different opinions on the issue of how much to feed beardies, so I do not want to say that you are correct or that I am. But that is not generally the reason that some people do not feed as much as others, except maybe in inexperienced keepers.

The best thing to do is let your beardie eat as much as it can in a 15 minute time period three times aday.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    Now that I think about it, we didn't use anything at night for our beardies either. They had the UV light that was a long strip of light and a basking light. We had ours on play sand and never had any impaction issues.

Is play sand ok for adults? I would like a natural looking enclosure if I get a beardie.

Anyone care to post pictures of their beardies' setup? I love looking at enclosures and it might give me an idea of a good set up. I remember ours rather easily. We had them on play sand. There was a flat rock formation on one end, used for basking and wood branches for climbing and a food dish. We misted them once a day, not the enclosure, just them.
    Play sand is fine for adults. Again, to eliminate impaction risk, feed outside of his normal enclosure. This will also get him used to being handled and less averse to being taken out of his tank.

I don't have a recent pic of my enclosure, but your setup idea sounds like the right one. Just don't use a heat rock, but I'm sure you know that by now

Thanks

I disagree with playsand, it is a playground substrate for bacteria spreading from urates and poop.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Whoops, guess I lied... I found this picture in my old pics of him. Note that this is only part of the enclosure, and that at this time I had been experimenting with substrates and was using paper towels. I was NOT using a UTH at that time.

That aquarium rock on the left? You can get them at Petco and I like it because it wears down on their nails so you don't have to trim them as much, or at all!

Also, if your dragon wants more security, add a background to your tank... mine loved watching stuff moving outside the window so I couldn't bear to add one

Thanks

Heatrocks are from the devil!

We never had issues with either of our dragons with feeding in the enclosure. Somehow they just never got impacted on the play sand, even if they got some in their mouth. And they were never against coming out of their enclosure. They loved the attention and loved coming out to stretch their legs.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Icygirl: so you used a UTH? Why in the world would you do that? I really hope im reading that wrong.
    - Matt

Thanks

I have to disagree. Washed and sifter play sand is fine for adult Bearded Dragons. Ask most Beardie experts, 75% will say go for it. As long as you feed outside the enclosure and take proper precautions that is .

I mean the best substrate, with the least risk is of course, paper towels or unprinted paper, but play sand is acceptable for adults.

IMO, you should never you use play sand for juveniles or baby Bearded Dragons.

If you do decide to use washed and sifter play sand, I'd like to make the suggestion of changing the substrate once a month or so. It brings down the risk for the spread of bacteria, etc.

Here is my little 4 month old, Yoda. He is a Hypo Tangerine.

Thanks

Wow, he is nice! I still do not agree with playsand, Impaction is not what i am mainly concerned about,

here is Nugget,

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMG_0688.jpg

He is Citris.
    - Matt

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast