Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,161

1 members and 3,160 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,554
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Tank set up with perfect temps and humidity.

Obviously tubs are cheaper. But If you are like me, and want a few display tanks too, this is what I recommend after trying MANY, MANY, MANY different things. Entire set up is less then $200. The humidity and temps will be perfect, all of the time, period.

Ingredients:
    20 Gallon Long Critter tank $65
    Under Tank Heater (UTH) one that covers almost half of the bottom $24
    Dimmer switch $6
    Two Digital Thermometers with probes $12 total
    Flukers Digital Thermometer / Hydrometer combo $16
    Zoo Med 500R Thermostat $20
    Heat lamp $6
    Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) Bulb $25 60 watt for 20 gallon tank, 100 watt for 30 gallon tank.
    Foam Board $6 I prefer the one with foil on one side. I think it helps with insulation, and looks really good. You can paint black if you want, but my tanks stay pretty dark.
    Water Bowl $7
    2 identical Hides $10
    Newspaper
    Aluminum Foil
    Duct Tape

Put 10 layers of aluminum foil on tank cover, leaving hole just big enough for CHE. Cover aluminum foil with duct tape, again leaving hole for CHE. The hole for the CHE needs to be off center, towards the cool side of tank.

Cut foam board to size for back and sides of tank. Use duct tape to join the 3 pieces.

Stick UTH under once side of the tank. Put foam board back and sides on tank (outside tank!). On the inside of Tank, in middle of heat matt tape down first thermometer probe. Plug UTH into dimmer switch. Play with dimmer switch until temp is at 95 degrees. Use another small piece of duct tape to neetly route wire to go up back of tank. *I have found that this stays at a constant temperature give or take 1 degree. If your home temperature varies too much for this to stay constant, then you may need another thermostat for the UTH.

Using a zip tie, attach probe of second thermometer to probe from thermostat. set the zip tied pair of probes up so the tips rest on the floor in the corner on the side opposite the UTH. Plug the CHE into the thermostat. Play with temp dial on thermostat until the temp ranges between 80 and 81 degrees.

Put news paper down. Attach Flukers to warm side hide. Put water bowl DIRECTLY under CHE.

Set temps the way you want them. This is what works for me. UTH thermometer at 95 degrees. Cool side thermometer fluctuates between 80 and 81 degrees. Flukers will ALWAYS show ambient air temp at 85degrees, and humidity will be 55% – 60%.
    These temps set the cool side hide temp at 81 – 82 degrees and the warm side hide temp at 91 – 92 degrees. Ambient temperature 85 - 86 and humidity 55% - 60%.

The tank looks bright in the pictures, but is actually very dark. I have a 30 gallon long critter keeper for one of my larger Balls, and it is set up the same exact way. Humidity and tepms are always perfect. When they are in shed, all I do is put a damp rag over one of the hides. It brings the humidity to 75, and will keep it there for at least 3 days before you have to rewet it.

I tried every substrate imaginable. In my opinion NOTHING but newspaper in this set up keeps humidity perfect. I tried to avoid using newspaper because I wanted things to look natural. However, now that I finally use it, I love it. It actually looks good, and is incredibly easy to keep up with. It is the only thing that has given me correct humidity 100% of the time.

Obviously I would love to use a better thermostat, like a Helix, but with several tanks, it is not practicle for me. I have NEVER had a problem with the ZooMed 500r. and once it is set, I NEVER have to readjust it.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't know everything. This is just what I have learned, and it will save the newbees picking a tank over a tub from spending all the money I did on the wrong things! Tubs are CHEAPER! but this will work if you want a tank set up!

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Tank set up with perfect temps and humidity.

Hi,

If you don't mind a suggestion I would replace the tape holding down the probe with a hot glue gun spot or even a rock.

Tape inside snake tanks just makes me nervous as all sin.

Do you find the zoomed holds the temps quite stable then?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

A little duct tape never hurt anyone!!!! Never had any issues using duct tape.

The Zoo Med 500R has worked perfectly for me. Like I said above, I would LOVE to have 5 helixes, but that is NOT realistic for me. You can get 6 zoo med 500 r's for LESS then one Helix!

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Just a thought: Many vendors make reptile cages that are way easier than glass tanks and also look good! I'm glad this set-up works for you, but on several levels I would worry; the sticky tape on the inside is only one area of concern. That said, if this works for you and your snakes are digging it, then good job!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
    A little duct tape never hurt anyone!!!! Never had any issues using duct tape.
    I beg to differ;

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

Example 6

Example 7

Example 8

Example 9

Example 10

Example 11

Example 12

Example 13

Example 14

Example 15

Example 16

Example 17

Quote Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
    The Zoo Med 500R has worked perfectly for me. Like I said above, I would LOVE to have 5 helixes, but that is NOT realistic for me. You can get 6 zoo med 500 r's for LESS then one Helix!

Mike

I can certainly appreciate the differences in price between them and as long as they work reliably then that seems fair enough to me.

How much would one herpstat pro (which I htink had 4 outputs/probes) and one ranco cost? I realise it will be a lot more than 5 zoomeds and was just curious really.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    I beg to differ;

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

Example 6

Example 7

Example 8

Example 9

Example 10

Example 11

Example 12

Example 13

Example 14

Example 15

Example 16

Example 17

I can certainly appreciate the differences in price between them and as long as they work reliably then that seems fair enough to me.

How much would one herpstat pro (which I htink had 4 outputs/probes) and one ranco cost? I realise it will be a lot more than 5 zoomeds and was just curious really.

dr del
    HOLY COW!!!!! Thanks for the heads up! The duct tape is GONE!!!!!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    dr del
    Herpstat Pro costs $319.00 off of their website, BUT... I have one Helix running 3 cages (3'x2'x1') from Reptile Basics. (A Helix is $135.00 from Reptile Basics). So, I don't think you'd need one t'stat per cage unless they were in different areas and not stacked, or at least relatively close by....

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

I had an experience with electrical tape, My little man was on my bed exploring and while around my neck he stuck his little nose up on my headboard and got stuck to peice of electrical tape! right under his chin, i turned around in horror and didnt know what to do. I held one end of the tape and he wriggled free but duct tape is stronger than electrical tape and I got really lucky he didnt hurt himself. I dont keep tape anywhere in his room now lol.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

Thanks

Total cost including both Helix Thermostats, 4 heat mats, 4 thermometers, 4 water bowls, 8 hides, and 4 Hygrometers $725.00. Each opening is 33" Long X 15" wide X 11" tall.

This was my first attempt. I learned a lot and my next will look a lot better!

Olive oil is good for removing any tape!