Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,363

0 members and 3,363 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: can you die your rats?

I have one mouse who picks on the others from time to time. I was thinking about how I could mark him the next time I catch him doing it so he can become dinner at the next feeding. I was just going to put a dot on his head with a marker but decided against it. Any ideas?

Thanks

hmmm... good question. Mine are not feeders or breeders( yet) so i do not have to worrie about the dye hurting anything.

Maybe wrap a sting around its tail or let and take it off right before feeding him off?
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

of course you can!!! (dye them that is) i dyed my two white pet rats to be able to tell them apart. i used koolaids, one cherry and one grape, it worked better on their tail than their coat but it made for neat pics if yuo want it to last i suggest using permenant markers, it doenst hurt them at all. The breeders use permenant markers on the base of their tails and if the actual pet rat breeders use it, its fine.. ive never heard of any adverse effects of doing either method i suggested

Thanks

A groomer I was speaking to last week told me that she used the concentrated food colouring paste used by cake decorators and that it lasted in the dog until the hair grew out and she finally cut it off a year later.

I'm seriously considering it with my poodle...he's a black phantom, and I think a dark blue wash would look awesome. :-D
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

Re: can you dye your rats?

I was trying to think of a way to mark holdbacks from litters. Would using permanent marker on their fur work?

Also, I tend to have albinos from time to time and I can never tell two female albinos apart. Would dying a small portion of their hair work (Like a dot on the head) or something similar?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

The concentrated food color is a great thing. I never tried it on rats. A dab on the head would probably work.
    When I marked holdback females, I notched ears at the crawler stage. Sorry, but it didn't seem to hurt them, marked them effectively, and had no seen adverse effect. In fact, some of the last 10 rats I have are those females.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    I was trying to think of a way to mark holdbacks from litters. Would using permanent marker on their fur work?

Also, I tend to have albinos from time to time and I can never tell two female albinos apart. Would dying a small portion of their hair work (Like a dot on the head) or something similar?
    I would use different color sharpies. i know the rat breeder i talk to does it and her rats are fine. you put a dot on the base of their tail, they dont lick it off and it stays put for a day or so. the dye doesnt work as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    A groomer I was speaking to last week told me that she used the concentrated food colouring paste used by cake decorators and that it lasted in the dog until the hair grew out and she finally cut it off a year later.

I'm seriously considering it with my poodle...he's a black phantom, and I think a dark blue wash would look awesome. :-D
    my mil dyes her white maltese ears all the time!!! its so crazy, she treats the dog like a kid i swear, she has a new color on her ears every month or so. they also use koolaid

Thanks

I use permanent marker to make a stripe down one of my albino girls when they are together to tell them apart. They do manage to clean it off eventually, like 3 weeks later it's just a faint smudge.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    The concentrated food color is a great thing. I never tried it on rats. A dab on the head would probably work.
    When I marked holdback females, I notched ears at the crawler stage. Sorry, but it didn't seem to hurt them, marked them effectively, and had no seen adverse effect. In fact, some of the last 10 rats I have are those females.
    Actually I just watched a show that had lab mice in it. They were explaining about some weird regenerative mice that were bred! The lab routinely punched a small hole into the mouse ears of those that they wanted to tell apart.. Well, in these regenerative mice, the hole regenerated! Not just that it healed.. it completely closed up. I am not saying that anyone should go punching holes into their rats' ears.. I am just saying that labs do it with success apparently.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12