Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,233

1 members and 3,232 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User catalystsupreme's Avatar
    Thanks

What the CRAP!!!

My new RTB had a meal almost a week ago, last Sunday to be exact. Throughout the entire week she was fine. I checked her enclosure before i left for about 5 hours, and i came back home to this.

I'm confused, it looks more like a regurge, instead of poop. I can actually see pieces of the mouse. Then again i have left snake poop in water before and it expands pretty big, but what do u guy think?

Thanks

Re: What the CRAP!!!

ewwwwwww!
    1.0.0 Normal Ball Python, 0.1.0 Albino Ball Python, 1.0.0 Spider Ball Python, 0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0.0 Sorong Type Green Tree Python, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Whites Tree Frog,

Thanks

Definitely looks like a regurge to me...

How are you temps? Did you handle the snake after feeding (say within 24 hours)? Is there anything that could cause continual stress... a fan or tv causing vibrations near the cage?

Thanks

temps are up there, gonna lower them. 95 hot 85 on the cold durning the day. 89 and 75 at night. no handling after feed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    Definitely looks like a regurge to me...

How are you temps? Did you handle the snake after feeding (say within 24 hours)? Is there anything that could cause continual stress... a fan or tv causing vibrations near the cage?
    I'm agreeing with the regurge. I see the hair and hair is in poop,,,, but Im not seeing any poop mixed in with the hair. Also the water is still mainly clear and had it been a poop in the water, the water would most likely be discolored and there might be some uraites in the water too. Plus, it looks to me like I see rear legs and tail there.

I also want to point out that........ You need to read up and what to do next. There most definitely are steps to take in this kind of situation. Follow them closely. I hate to sound like a bad guy here, but this ends a lot of neonate Boas lives. Right now his servile rate is 50/50 and thats if you do everything right.

Good luck.

Thanks

Regurges sometimes happen because temps are too low... but if they're too high it might happen, as well.

Make sure you keep the snake in a quiet area, where it's not going to be stressed out. I'd not handle it for a week or two. Same goes for feeding. One of my little boys regurged... I put him in a shoebox cage in a dark, quiet space for two weeks, no handling, no feeding. He ate just fine and hasn't regurged since.

The most common cause of death from a regurge is attempting to feed again soon after.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by APBTOwner View Post
    I'm agreeing with the regurge. I see the hair and hair is in poop,,,, but Im not seeing any poop mixed in with the hair. Also the water is still mainly clear and had it been a poop in the water, the water would most likely be discolored and there might be some uraites in the water too. Plus, it looks to me like I see rear legs and tail there.

I also want to point out that........ You need to read up and what to do next. There most definitely are steps to take in this kind of situation. Follow them closely. I hate to sound like a bad guy here, but this ends a lot of neonate Boas lives. Right now his servile rate is 50/50 and thats if you do everything right.

Good luck.
    Where can i find info on how to care for a regurgitating boa?

Thanks

PM sent

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catalystsupreme View Post
    Where can i find info on how to care for a regurgitating boa?
    The poster above just gave good advice.

There is also a med you can get from a vet, but for the life of me I cant remember the dang name.

No handling, no feeding for 2 weeks. Its going to need to rebuild acids lost in the regurge. Its also going to need to calm down, regurging is massive stress.

With my Boas I heat 1/3 of the cage floor to 95*F via UTH, the rest of the floor stays unheated. I do not use any other heat source. The ambient temp/cold side temp is what ever my snake room's temp is. Usually 77-80*F

I don't mist cages either. My cage humidity is what ever my snake room's humidity is. Usually in the 40% range.

I keep all my snakes on newspaper. No hide boxes. One water bowl per-cage.

Now Im not saying this is the only way to do it, or the best way. This is just the way that has worked for me and others for a long time.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

David.

Thanks

You know something else that just hit me.

I have read a time or two that mice can cause regurging in some cases with some snakes. Because mice have a lot of hair and not very meaty. Might want to move the Boa over to Rat pups. Also, when you go to re-feed, feed a much smaller meal then normal if thats at all possible.

I have lost a Boa from regurge a long time ago, before I knew what steps to take and I attempted to re-feed to soon. It ate, regurged and died a few days later.

So, this hits close to home for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast