Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,561

0 members and 2,561 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is this?

Thanks

what is this?

i'm currently seeing a vet and treating my bp with baytril orally on a daily basis.my vet first thought he'd got mites,then he thought a RI.now he says it's Septicemia.could someone look at these pics of him for me and tell me,if possible,what's wrong with him.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/gallery/...nty2_thumb.jpg

http://www.ball-pythons.net/gallery/...nty1_thumb.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: what is this?

Hi,

Here are the larger versions of his pictures.

As to trying to second guess a vet based solely on a picture viewed over the internet I wouldn't even dream of it I'm afraid.

If you are concerned he is not giving the proper care I would think it would be ok to try and find another reptile vet in your area - but to be fair I would inform both about the process while doing so.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

It looks almost as though it could be an allergic reaction to something. If he did indeed have mites, he may be reacting to the bites and hence the red swelling underneath the scales. It's really hard to tell from just a photo, but I'd seen a few similar cases that turned out to be an allergic reation to bug bites and/or medication while working at the vets. The only other thoughts I would have would be if it were at all possible that those scales had been damaged enough that they'd actually been pulled up a bit.

I would get a second opinion though if you're not confident in your current vet's diagnosis. Especially if it is a reaction to medication... Do you know when the marks first appeared?
    ~*~ Adri ~*~

0.1 BP - Kitty (but 'officially' Cleo)
    2.0 Pet rats - Gir and Zim
    1.0 Bunnicula - Dexter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GirDance View Post
    It looks almost as though it could be an allergic reaction to something. If he did indeed have mites, he may be reacting to the bites and hence the red swelling underneath the scales. It's really hard to tell from just a photo, but I'd seen a few similar cases that turned out to be an allergic reation to bug bites and/or medication while working at the vets. The only other thoughts I would have would be if it were at all possible that those scales had been damaged enough that they'd actually been pulled up a bit.

I would get a second opinion though if you're not confident in your current vet's diagnosis. Especially if it is a reaction to medication... Do you know when the marks first appeared?
    well firstly i noticed monty sneezing/weezing.i also heard a loud popping noise which scared the life out of me to be honest.then the red blotches appeared on his neck area,i went to the vet and he said it could be internal mites or a RI.he gave it an injection which he said would help against both these problems.he also gave him some stuff for worms.now i've been giving monty baytril orally daily since 9th feb.i also soak him in warm water for 20 mins daily.i'm back at vets on thursday in which the vet is gunna force-feed him if things are no better.any advice? anything i'm doing wrong?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Most reptile vets reccommend injections over oral. I am by no means a vet and but I have been to vets that are not familiar with snakes and vets that are. A second opinion could'nt hurt if you are not happy/staisfied with the first.

Thanks

Force feeding already seems to me to be jumping the gun. When was his last feeding? If he's suggesting force feeding and there hasnt been much weight loss, I'd get a second opinion.
    ~*~ Adri ~*~

0.1 BP - Kitty (but 'officially' Cleo)
    2.0 Pet rats - Gir and Zim
    1.0 Bunnicula - Dexter

Thanks

I don't have a clue what's going on but I do wish you the best of luck with it. Please let us know what the outcome is.
    ~ Tanya
    0.1 Normal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GirDance View Post
    Force feeding already seems to me to be jumping the gun. When was his last feeding? If he's suggesting force feeding and there hasnt been much weight loss, I'd get a second opinion.
    his last feeding was 2 months ago.certainly hasn't lost any weight tho.guess i'll have to trust my vet's opinion.i'll keep everyone posted

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianpudlich View Post
    his last feeding was 2 months ago.certainly hasn't lost any weight tho.guess i'll have to trust my vet's opinion.i'll keep everyone posted
    If he hasn't eaten in two months and hasn't lost any weight but yet the vet still wants to force feed...do you really want to trust the vet? I could be wrong but it's my understanding that force feeding is very stressful and should only be done as a last resort. There isn't any weight loss and there have been others who have gone a lot longer without eating so 2 months doesn't sound all that bad. I think I would seek a 2nd opinion
    ~ Tanya
    0.1 Normal

Thanks

what substrate are you using currently?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast