Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,481

1 members and 2,480 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Lid securing recommendations

Apparently I have a houdini on my hands....

I currently have the lid of her 27qt sterlite secured with 6 binder clips (well, not anymore at least). There are three clips on the front, three on the back placed one middle and one by each corner. Last night she not only managed to escape, but escape without detaching any of the binder clips *and* with the sides of the tub both still locked down into place. Now, granted it was a fantastic escape job and all, but I doubt she had the afterthought to reclose her lid as well as get out without removing any clips. Actually, after removing all the clips, unlatching each side I actually stood there thinking maybe she'd learned how to make herself invisible because I was completely baffled at the mastery of her escape.

She wasn't hard to find, it took approximately 5 minutes, which I must add was the longest 5 minutes of my life... I kept envisioning her either not being found or found hurt in some way.. Instead she was curled up nice and content in a cast iron frying pan with another pan over top in the drawer of the oven... Well, content until I picked her up and holy cow can she HISS....

She's now got a french english dictionary on top, two psych text books which I finally found a use for, a regular dictionary (all big hardcover books), a skateboard and big piece of driftwood on top (The boyfriend thinks this is a bit excessive). Any suggestions on something else I can use to secure the lid? Obviously she's figured out the trick to binder clips, and I can't keep having 30lbs of stuff piled on top because then it just looks like a junk corner.

I think it's about time I just buy some lumber and build a rack with some pegs so that it can't slide out... But man she has some skills!
    ~*~ Adri ~*~

0.1 BP - Kitty (but 'officially' Cleo)
    2.0 Pet rats - Gir and Zim
    1.0 Bunnicula - Dexter

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Lid securing recommendations

Not sure what there called but i call them big paper clips they work wonders.

Thanks

Those are the binder clips she managed to escape without removing any of....
    ~*~ Adri ~*~

1.0 Bunnicula - Dexter

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Sry those are binder clips.

Thanks

Maybe you could build a sort of "one tub rack?" Like, take some melamine or MDF board, and build a "framework" for your tub. that would allow you to remove it and replace it like a drawer? Or.. if more snakes are in your future.. a rack? (not that I would hint that anyone should get more snakes.. nooo.. not me!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive View Post
    Maybe you could build a sort of "one tub rack?" Like, take some melamine or MDF board, and build a "framework" for your tub. that would allow you to remove it and replace it like a drawer? Or.. if more snakes are in your future.. a rack? (not that I would hint that anyone should get more snakes.. nooo.. not me!
    That involves buying lumber, designing and constructing something... Need to find something for the time being, thanks though.
    ~*~ Adri ~*~

1.0 Bunnicula - Dexter

Thanks

On a recommendation, she's been 'gift wrapped'... Used a series of ribbon and really long shoe laces to tie the lid on securely enough that I can lift it by the corners and by the sides of the lid and it doesn't budge.

Until I get a better idea of how many snakes I think I'll have by this time next year, and can then build an official rack this will have to do

Thanks for the input though, its always greatly appreciated... I just wish those binder clips actually worked for me!
    ~*~ Adri ~*~

1.0 Bunnicula - Dexter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

I've used a bungie cord wrapped around the middle in the past....the adjustable type.
    --Walt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waltah! View Post
    I've used a bungie cord wrapped around the middle in the past....the adjustable type.
    That was my first thought! Then I remembered my Dad borrowed all of mine to move my little sister and still hasn't returned them

I'm hoping the really tightly tied ribbon/shoe laces will suffice at the moment.
    ~*~ Adri ~*~

1.0 Bunnicula - Dexter