Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,149

0 members and 3,149 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Thread: Is this a scam?

Thanks

Arrow Is this a scam?

First off I have a job interview on Tuesday, so wish me luck!!! It'll be my second part time job, so hopefully things won't be too stressful.

Now onto my question. I love pets and want to do something pretaining related to/for/with them. I ran across the following site. And they have a "at home business" plan. Does it seem like a scam? I realize that they "own the market" on the supplies there (I mean I could find them else where if I looked hard enough) so they can price the hardware whatever they want. But they don't require a start up fee. I am not sure if it could be considered a start up fee if I am getting supples and the how to book on making the pet items.

Anyway the link is below.
    http://www.cdwplus.com/busipage.html
    Layna

Thanks

Re: Is this a scam?

I looked at the link for a while...it doesn't appear to be one of the typical 'assembly' scams...since you will be the one selling the items to others...

I think you are correct, they are only charging the fee for cost of materials and instructions....

Occasionally, I will see offers similar to this, where the website is charging three or four times the actual cost (to them) for the 'kit' contents...I would definitely recommend checking around for prices on the metal hardware, webbing, etc...I don't know what the prices for these items should be, just make sure the prices aren't exessively high compared to other hardware suppliers....

The fabric collars, etc are very attractive...but I also know from doing crafts of my own, the prices on yards of those nice fabrics can be astronomical...not trying to discourage you--just saying there may be more cost involved in making an item than you might think at first...I'm pointing this out because the website says these are made with "your favorite fabrics"...and the fabric is not included in the kit list...meaning you will have to buy it out of pocket...
    Last edited by ilovemylizard; 02-13-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: add text
    Heather Martin

Thanks

Thanks for your input. I'll most certainly take into consideration the cost of fabrics, hardware, etc. I'll also look around for prices.
    Layna

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Fabric for collar covers always came from the $1 or $1 a yard bins in MY book. I've made some, and they typically don't sell well.
    I think you'd end up selling at a stall at a flea market or craft show, and although you'd end up making a few bucks, it's not something you can make a living on.
    In the end, get as wide a range of items to sell, make homemade dog biscuits, do collar covers, dog beds stuffed with cotton and a bit of cedar shavings, cat toys, knitted or crocheted items, anything that is pet related. You'd need to have a grand array to catch people's interest, and they might pick up a few things.
    I certainly wouldn't use that site to buy any materials from. Everything you need is available locally(for the most part).
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "