Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,309

1 members and 3,308 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Might go with rats

I've talked to my fiance and we both have agreed to try and breed rats. We have had some success with mice but its not great. We've been trying to breed mice since November and have only gotten two litters, one being a pregger feeder that we decided to keep and let her have her babies. So I have a few questions.

As far as breeding, are rats pretty dependable as far as having litters? I would go with a rotating schedule where the females would spend a certain amount of time with a male, then move onto a place of their own to have and raise the babies, then she would get some time off before going back in with a male. Sound like a good way of doing it? Is there risk of aggression from re-introduction?

About how much food should they be given per day? I feed Mazuri lab block and Becky's mix to my mice. I usually buy the 5lb bags from Petsmart but will go with a bigger bag if I get rats since they probably eat a lot more. Basically, how much do you feed your rats per day? And what kinds of human food can they eat. Sometimes we have extra veggies, fruit, pasta, and such that we can give to our rodents.

Lets talk space. What is a good sized breeding group and what sized enclosure would they need? I plan on using tanks and tubs until I can get a rack either built or bought. Currently I have 2 10g tanks, 1 5g tank, 2 20L tanks, and a 3 tubs, each equaling the space of a 5g tank.

Where to get breeders. I know you are not supposed to breed a rat until they are a certain age. However, no store around here sells rats of that age and if they do, they are always male. So I would need to get some rats from someone who breeds them. Anyone willing to let some of their rats go so I can start a breeding colony? Name your price. (Preferably not albinos because I like the females to be different colors so I can keep track of them)
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Might go with rats

Also, I am willing to get more tanks if need be. I was just listing what I currently have. We will continue to breed mice but on a smaller scale if we go with rats for our main source of feeders.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    As far as breeding, are rats pretty dependable as far as having litters? Is there risk of aggression from re-introduction?
    My rats are very dependable at getting pregnant and having a litter 3 weeks later. They are all on a set schedule for breeding, cycling, and while we have more dominant girls that have to cause a fuss when moms are reintroduced into the big cage, it's nothing that doesn't die down in a half an hour. And I have some real bossy girls :p

About how much food should they be given per day? I feed Mazuri lab block and Becky's mix to my mice. I usually buy the 5lb bags from Petsmart but will go with a bigger bag if I get rats since they probably eat a lot more. Basically, how much do you feed your rats per day? And what kinds of human food can they eat. Sometimes we have extra veggies, fruit, pasta, and such that we can give to our rodents.
    I buy the large 40 lb bag of Mazuri, I also have a lot of rats. It depends on your productions, how many rats you have etc. I use hardware cloth hoppers and the rack system. I have no wasted food and fill it once a week.

My rats get scraps about once a week, no citrus and certain foods. I know you can find a list of what not to give to rats at Ratguide.org (.com?)

Lets talk space. What is a good sized breeding group and what sized enclosure would they need? I plan on using tanks and tubs until I can get a rack either built or bought. Currently I have 2 10g tanks, 1 5g tank, 2 20L tanks, and a 3 tubs, each equaling the space of a 5g tank.
    I personally think the 5 gallons are small, maybe enough for one mom with a young litter, but I personally wouldnt use them. I use the tubs from sterilite, cut the lids for ventilation etc. I know there are stickies hanging around on how to make rat breeding tubs and racks, you should check them out. Also lord_Jackel had a nice sticky answering questions on how many to breed etc. It's a lot of information to go over.

Where to get breeders. I know you are not supposed to breed a rat until they are a certain age. However, no store around here sells rats of that age and if they do, they are always male. So I would need to get some rats from someone who breeds them. Anyone willing to let some of their rats go so I can start a breeding colony? Name your price. (Preferably not albinos because I like the females to be different colors so I can keep track of them)
    I think it's best to buy young rats. Very rarely will adults calm down well enough to be handled freely if they were not introduced to humans often enough. You also know that these animals are getting a premium diet, and they will acclimate to your program easier when young.

If your just starting I suggest browsing the feeder section for info on rat colors and patterns. Be choosy about what you buy, there are certain risks to be aware of. Health, temperament, genetic diseases etc.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...42&postcount=7
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...63&postcount=4

If you have any more specific questions, go ahead and ask away.

Thanks

I will be using the 5g and small tubs for mouse production most likely. I put a 1.1 in that amount of space and they are fine.

As for rats, I will try and find tubs but more than likely I will have to go with getting them online because try as I might, getting tubs that have flat bottoms (to reduce chewing) are impossible to find. I have found cement mixing tubs that measure 26"X20"X6" I believe. (I'll have to check the measurements again), but I plan on making a rack out of those. I'll try and get some stuff together and take some pictures once I've got it under construction but how many rats could go in a mixing tub that size? I plan on making 2 racks that are 3 tubs tall and that gives me 6 tubs to work with.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    I will be using the 5g and small tubs for mouse production most likely. I put a 1.1 in that amount of space and they are fine.

As for rats, I will try and find tubs but more than likely I will have to go with getting them online because try as I might, getting tubs that have flat bottoms (to reduce chewing) are impossible to find. I have found cement mixing tubs that measure 26"X20"X6" I believe. (I'll have to check the measurements again), but I plan on making a rack out of those. I'll try and get some stuff together and take some pictures once I've got it under construction but how many rats could go in a mixing tub that size? I plan on making 2 racks that are 3 tubs tall and that gives me 6 tubs to work with.
    We have a 6 high rack using the concrete tubs and a water tub on top with a watering system. We can easily put in 1 male and 4-5 girls if we wanted. They are large and hold many rats. I like to give them room to get away from one another, so I prefer to have 4 rats in a mixing tub. 1 male, 3 females. It really depends on what you prefer.

I have not had a chew out with those concrete tubs, or my sterilite from walmart. There is a lip on the bottom, but they have never even nibbled at it. They prefer to chew the shiny aluminum tape on the lid LOL. I offer blocks of wood, dog biscuits etc. They dont chew on my stuff.

When moms have been with dad for 3 weeks, they get pulled and put into their own tub in the rack. It's opaque, sorta dark, and low. They are very comfortable in the rack for birthing. I put in two scoops of pellets and 2 handfuls of aspen for nesting. It works very well for me this way.

Thanks

It really all depends on what kid of breeding you want to do, if you want the females to birth together, or separate them when they are fixing to pop.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...A1VC38T7YXB528

This is what I use to keep all of my tubs on! I will get all the same size tubs and put them all the way to the bottom. I will have my breeders, my male grow out(where my male breeder will live too), female grow out, (where retired females will go aswell), and over flow/another breeder tank. I will be getting a rubbermaid tub to put the lab blocks, and whatever else I mix in with the feed in it.

You can use these tubs, I am worried about the side mesh and chewers, but it works for Jo!

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=56321

Or these tubs, which I use, modified a bit!

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=39864

thats the shelving unit I sue too! But mine has 5 levels instead of 4. I don't use the 5th level though..just don't need it!

Rats are alot of fun, and they have morphs like balls!

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I guess I have some work to do getting these racks built. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress with it. I need to take accurate measurements this week and draw up a plan for building it, including the cuts I'll need for the wood.

So hooded rats would be fine as breeders? I can ask the store where we get our feeders if they have any hooded rats.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

maybe you could use the 20 gal tank to set 1.3 breeders, if u are not separating the male it should last about 2 months before u need to get somewhere to put the weans into

Thanks

I have a 20L sitting empty right now but we were going to use it to seperate feeder mice by sex. Currently we have 13 feeder mice and soon they will all need to be seperated so they will concentrate on getting big rather than breeding. I could possibly pick up another tank and set up two females to grow them up. Will a lone male be ok in a 10g until I can grow up two females for him? By the time everyone is old enough to breed, I should have the rack built.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

I have my male in a ten gallon for now, untell he gets to live with his sons in a nice big rubbermaid! hooded rats are great, stay away from odd eyes, and facial markings. You can get rats from anywhere, hoodeds are pretty popular, so they shouldnt be hard to find. Hoodeds are my fav! Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast