Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,384

1 members and 3,383 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Well, I've caught the retic itch..

I've finally decided after about a year of questioning it that I am going to get a male tiger retic. A friend of mine has one for sale right now, he's about 4-5' I believe. He's not too big yet, but still a handful, he loves to climb. He's quite possibly the nicest, most docile snake I've encountered. Aside from his feeding response I'd say he's comparable to ball pythons temperament wise (I probably just jinxed that).

My plan is to keep in him a 75gallon tank for probably around a month. Then he's going in a 4X3 animal plastics cage, and eventually ending up in the animal plastics 8Xsomething I forget the exact measurements.

I just want you guys to double check my plan to make sure I know everything.

Temperature 88-92* basking area with an ambient temp going to low 80s. The humidity with be around 50-60%. He'll have a huge water dish and 2 hides, one on the warm side one on the cooler side. I plan to keep him on newspaper for the time being, but if you guys have any better suggestions feel free to let me know.

I have handled big snakes in the past(anacondas, retics, burms, and I own a columbian red-tailed boa and a jungle carpet python).

And finally, any of you retic owners have any advice for someone about to buy his first?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Well, I've caught the retic itch..

i would have to say man good luck. as i don't have any retic but i do know alittle about them. i do have a couple of suggestions though. i would say buy the 8x somthing cage first. it would save you time and money. also for feeders try finding a local rabbit breeder and ask him for the stock that isn't show quality. but if you want some real info on these guys ask andrewH or someother person that has lots of experince
    TIME TO GRAB MY BALLS

Thanks

I would just jump ahead and get the 8ft cage, but if I buy the 4' animal plastics cage first then a couple weeks later buy the 8ft, I'll have the 4ft for my boa when it gets that big. But thanks again for the good luck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by .Matt View Post
    I've finally decided after about a year of questioning it that I am going to get a male tiger retic. A friend of mine has one for sale right now, he's about 4-5' I believe. He's not too big yet, but still a handful, he loves to climb. He's quite possibly the nicest, most docile snake I've encountered. Aside from his feeding response I'd say he's comparable to ball pythons temperament wise (I probably just jinxed that).

My plan is to keep in him a 75gallon tank for probably around a month. Then he's going in a 4X3 animal plastics cage, and eventually ending up in the animal plastics 8Xsomething I forget the exact measurements.

I just want you guys to double check my plan to make sure I know everything.

Temperature 88-92* basking area with an ambient temp going to low 80s. The humidity with be around 50-60%. He'll have a huge water dish and 2 hides, one on the warm side one on the cooler side. I plan to keep him on newspaper for the time being, but if you guys have any better suggestions feel free to let me know.

I have handled big snakes in the past(anacondas, retics, burms, and I own a columbian red-tailed boa and a jungle carpet python).

And finally, any of you retic owners have any advice for someone about to buy his first?
    Sounds like you're all set.

Only thing I suggest is skipping the 4x3 AP cage and going straight for your adult cage.

You said he is around 4-5 feet? He should have no problem in a 8 or 6 foot cage.

Granted you might want to add some extra hides if he seems stressed or goes off feed. But IMO you'd just be wasting money buying a 4x3. These guys grow insanely fast.

Good luck man! Retics are the pinnacle snake IMO!

Mike
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

Thanks

Well, I don't own any Ball Pythons. But, I do own Burmese Pythons, Retics, Rock Pythons and large RTB/BCC.

Skip the 4x3, its a waste of cash and will only be out grown. Also, save your money, it may seem like an 8x3 is better. Most breeders and owners, even the big name guys will agree, that a 6x3 is plenty big. Even for a 20 foot monster.

I'm going to give you some info that is used and has been used by me for along time and others for even longer. Take from it what you would like.

Heat 1/3 of the floor to 95*F, leave the other 2/3 unheated. There is no need in heating using bulbs or lighting. Ambient temps can stay 77-80*F safely and humidity can be in the 40-50% range safely.

Use news paper, these guys pee, a lot, and as adults it can be many gallons at a time and cover every inch of a 6x3 cage. Paper makes this easy. That and the fact that they will crap 10 pound turds.

Expect to see a larger snake then you may be used to, in the 12 foot adult range. don't worry about having a 17+ foot snake, even in Retics these are less common the you might think. It takes a lot of food and knowledge to push these snakes to the 17-20 foot range.

You can feed every week, or every two. If your not worried about size and having a large snake, and with a male I don't know why you would be. A proper size meal every 14 days is fine. I like to feed 20-25% of their body weight at this age and size. So, if your feeding every two weeks that 1/2 their weight in food every month.

Also, its a good idea to try and get him to take FT/PK food that he will just take off of the cage floor. Trust me, dangling 10 pound rabbits is not fun from 2 foot hemos and over a 12-15 foot hungry snake.

Also, ditch the hide boxes. These are not Ball Pythons and don't need them. In my opinion and the opinions of other Reticulated Python owners is that hide boxes promote cage aggression and a skidish animal. That and as adults you will need a hide box larger then most people whole snake cages for them to stay in. The sooner you get them off hides the better.

Retics are not for every one, they are not for most people. The are the longest and in 99% of the cases in captivity the biggest snake you can own. They grow to fast for most people, mine grow 10-13 inches a month as babys. They are the most exotic snake you can own and take massive responsibility, but at the end of the day, if you are passionate about them, they are awesome fun.

Also remember that, there is no market for plan old Tiger adults, shipping big snakes cost a lot of money and time and these snakes are not easy to sell when they are very large. So, if you get this guy, make sure your ready to handle a large snake for the next 15-25 years.

Good luck.

David.

Thanks

Good advice David! A 75 gallon tanks should be fine for this guy for at least a little while... long enough for you to get your 6' or 8' cage. If you think he's a handful at 4' though just wait a few months!
    Shawn K.
    Facebook - Grand Kru Reptiles
    @GrandKruReptiles on Instagram

Thanks

Thanks Shawn.

I would be worried about putting a Retic in a 6-8 foot cage at only 4 or 5 feet long. At this size these are still very thin bodied snakes.

I would be worried about him being able to use a cage that large at his size and still thermo regulating.

Here is a picture for you. This is a 5.5 foot 0.1 Amel Albino in a 8x3 Neo. Hehe.

Looks like throwing a Tic-Tac down a hall-way.

Thanks

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. You've been really helpful with your tips and everything. The only reason I am getting the 4X3 cage is for my boa when he gets bigger. He's still a little baby now, so I figure if I get that cage, I can keep the retic in it for about a month or so then buy his adult enclosure.

And thanks for the advice on heating it, I was about to ask that question to see how most of you retic owners heat your enclosures.

I'll post up a pic of the little guy in a couple days when I go back to my buddies house. I just can't wait to bring him home!