Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,217

2 members and 3,215 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Thread: A birdy story

Thanks

A birdy story

As some of you know I recently adopted a pair of lovebirds off craigslist from a neglecting owner. They are not tame, but they're gradually getting used to me.

I just bought them a much larger cage than the one they came in. This evening I scrubbed and disinfected the cage (it was used) and coaxed them into it. After the initial nervousness at their new surroundings, I cannot tell you what a difference it has made in their demeanor. They have been climbing on every inch of the cage, and discovered that they actually have room to flap their wings and fly around a bit. They will sit in the middle of the cage, squawking happily and flapping away unhampered, something they probably have never been able to do in their entire 8 months of life. Usually around 9:30 they are sleepy and ready for bed, but tonight they are excited and playful even now around 10:15.

Somehow I think they know that I have been taking better care of them and that I love them. The (supposed) male, in particular, frequently comes right up as close as he can get to me to watch me or chirp at me. I am just so happy that I can give these guys a better home. I don't care if they are ever tame or "shoulder birds", because they likely won't be. Just seeing their antics and the fact that they're enjoying themselves floats my boat.

Thought I'd share this with you guys... Some animals really will never be "perfect pets", but they definitely know when you put in the extra mile for them!!

Thanks

Re: A birdy story

Aww that is so great!!

I have a couple of cockatiels like that with a similar story. They were basically neglected and cagebound but in the 7 months that I have had them, they seem so much happier. They hang out outside of their cage much more often, and interact with my other cockatiel. My male sings all the time, and though I work with him often, I know that he will probably never be hand tame, and like you that is alright by me. The female is partially hand tame, she won't very willingly step up onto my hand while she is close to her cage, but once she is away from her cage and her mate, she is just the sweetest!!

Good luck with your birds! I think that birds are totally awesome. They have such unique personalities and can be such clowns sometimes in their own right. And I also believe that animals know when they are loved, even if they don't show it. Kudos!!
    ~*~*~* Pamela *~*~*~

See my dragons!!
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36057