Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,304

3 members and 3,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

First tarantula...

I've been wanting a tarantula for some time now and I think I've narrowed it down to a Metallic Blue/Gooty Ornamental... Quite expensive for a spider, but possibly the most stunning I have ever seen. I understand that this spider has a nice little reputation; can anyone here who personally owns one comment on this?

Also, how bad is the bite on them?

I was also looking at the Fringed Ornamentals, any info on these?

Banned
    Thanks

Re: First tarantula...

I'd help you out, but I haven't kept arboreal species. What information I do know is that Pokies do have a pretty strong venom for a Theraphosid.

Thanks

I've haven't kept the P. metallica before, but I've kept P. regalis, P. irmina, and P. ornata (fringed ornamental), all basically the same tarantula as far as care and temper go. They are beautiful, but they do not make a good beginners spider at all. They are VERY fast, very defensive, and should not be handled. Handing them can be very stressful to them, since they are a shy spider when it comes to handling, and they can bite if they feel threatened enough.

If you do decide to get one do some research on how to correctly move these spiders for a cage cleaning so that both you and the spider are safe. If you want I can actually take some pictures of my supplies and move one of my own aggressive tarantulas so you can get an idea on how to do it. Just let me know.

If you're looking for a stunning beginners spider, that is up there in cost like the P. metallica, and sought after in a lot of big arachnid collections, I would check out the B. klassi and G. pulchura. These spiders both go for $300+ as adult females, and they are both docile.

Thanks

yeah pokies aint good for beginners tbh , but if you feel you can deal with there speed and defensive behaviour then go for it
    also they have pretty potent venom
    [b]Steve Irwin Febuary 22nd 1962 - September 4th 2006 [font=Century Gothic]R.I.P