Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,863

2 members and 2,861 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

New rescues with problems :(

Well, today i put about 500 miles on my car going to pick up five adult female ball pythons. When i got there i found out that they were housed together, with three rtb's One has a horrible face shed going on, its eyes look deflated. Its also breathing through its mouth, so im expecting RI. I get them home, and find them covered with mites, and other problems. Their all going to the vet first thing tomorrow morning, but any advice will help.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Re: New rescues with problems :(

Also, can our cats or other pets contract the mites from the snakes?
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

the denting of the eyes & shedding you can fix by soaking the snake in the tub in warm water.the might proble i will have to look up in my medical book.if you would like a copy of it .i can scan it in the morning & email it to you. good luck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    Also, can our cats or other pets contract the mites from the snakes?
    Cats CAN get mites....but the ear mites cats usually get are not the same kind of mites your snake would have...

Glad you're going to the vet...glad the snakes have a much better chance at a happy life....thank you for rescuing!!

please keep us posted on their progress

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, all but one is soaking in their water bowls, which has warm water in it; Im pretty sure that they might also be dehydrated. Poor things, i'll post tomorrow afternoon on how the vet visit goes, i do not have any fecals to take so they will only be able to check out the snake unless they poop sometime tonight or on the way.
    - Matt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    Thanks for the replies, all but one is soaking in their water bowls, which has warm water in it; Im pretty sure that they might also be dehydrated. Poor things, i'll post tomorrow afternoon on how the vet visit goes, i do not have any fecals to take so they will only be able to check out the snake unless they poop sometime tonight or on the way.
    They will soak to get relief from mites....you'll see them gather on the snakes heads while they soak....

poor things....i can tell you to try mite spray but you probably already know that....they seem to be in good hands...good rescue...

Thanks

Snake mites will NOT infect mammals.

While your at the vet, it would be a good idea to get fecals on ALL of the snakes. Looks like you got yourself a big job there, please keep us posted.

I hope you are practicing very strict quarantine and already had their enclosures and substrate sprayed with prevent a mite.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

500 miles? Where did you go to get these snakes? Did you also probe them to confirm they were female?

Provent-A-Mite is your best friend right now - order some online if you don't already have any. Dr. Brad Wilson is probably the best herp vet in the area - his number is 770-424-5484

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Snake mites will NOT infect mammals.

While your at the vet, it would be a good idea to get fecals on ALL of the snakes. Looks like you got yourself a big job there, please keep us posted.

I hope you are practicing very strict quarantine and already had their enclosures and substrate sprayed with prevent a mite.

We talked to our vet and we need fecals, so were going to wait on them to poop, other wise all they will tell us is that they have mites which we already know. The one we think has RI will still be going.

Were going to pick up some PAM right now, we got home at around 1 last night so know one was open. No worrys about QT, we have that covered, they are not even at our house.
    - Matt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    500 miles? Where did you go to get these snakes? Did you also probe them to confirm they were female?

Provent-A-Mite is your best friend right now - order some online if you don't already have any. Dr. Brad Wilson is probably the best herp vet in the area - his number is 770-424-5484
    Yes, I sexed them. I got them in Alabama. I called that vet but the doctor is in a meeting so we did not get any information out of them
    Last edited by Beardedragon; 02-12-2008 at 10:40 AM.
    - Matt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast