Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,730

3 members and 2,727 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Help with tub set up! I hate the tank!

I am seriously considering moving my BP to a tub set up, but I need help. If someone could give me a play by play of the proper set up I would greatly appreciate it. The tank has proved to be quite a pain as far as humidity regulation, cleaning, etc. Thank you!

Thanks

Re: Help with tub set up! I hate the tank!

just build a rack for 30 bucks that holds 4 snakes
    thats what i did
    want pics?

Thanks

Sure! Do you have time to talk about heating...my UTH says it can not be used in conjunction with plastics

Thanks

no problem, as long as the heating element is hooked up to a rheostat (dimmer), or a thermostat, it is fine with the plastic tubs, because if not hooked up, the temp will get high and melt the plastic.
    heres my rack that costed 30 bucks to build (not including flexwatt, thermostat, and tubs.

heres a pic of the lock i made so my two year old bro couldnt pull the tub out if he happened to get into my room

Thanks

tubs are great!!! you idea was so great (the metal piece) were going to do the same thing with our rack to keep little fingers (our kids) out of them! so far they have been good but we dont trust the idea of leaving their bins "available" to the little people...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyB View Post
    tubs are great!!! you idea was so great (the metal piece) were going to do the same thing with our rack to keep little fingers (our kids) out of them! so far they have been good but we dont trust the idea of leaving their bins "available" to the little people...
    thanks ashleyB, it turned out exactley how i wanted it to

happened to find those metal pieces at lowes with all the L brackets and stuff

Thanks

oh, btw, the pegboard sits on top of the flexwatt so easy sliding the tubs out and no hard times pulling them

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I just moved mine into a tub over the past couple of days.

Step 1: Went to Wal-Mart and bought a 32 quart tub. (Bigger than needed, but the other sizes were much to small that they had in stock)

Step 2: Bought a roll of duct tape and some bungee cords (At Wally world as well). Make sure the cords will wrap around the tub. I also got a roll of double stick tape.

Step 3: Went to a couple of restaurants and picked up a bunch of newspaper for bedding (free).

Step 4: Went home and heated an awl in the flame of the stove and started poking holes in the top and sides of the tub. I figured I'd rather make to many and cover some up with some tape than have to keep going back to punch them. Just don't overdue it.

Step 5: Removed the UTH from the tank and transfered it to the bottom of the tub. I tried it without any additional bonding, but it heated up and fell off so I added duct tape to it. Just around the edges to secure it. Took four flat caps from water bottles and secured them to the bottom using duct tape. This gives some space between the bottom of the tub and whatever it is sitting on for circulation.

Step 6: Put everything but the snake in the tub. Newpaper, hides, water, moss, wood chunk, thermometer, hydrometer and then plugged everything in and let it sit for about 2 hours waiting to see what the heat and the humidity did.

Step 7: Poked some more holes in it to let some of the humidity escape. Waited and watched. Added more holes. Rinse wash repeat. Taped some holes up. Finally got it all where it needed to be. I then got four flat caps from water bottles as spacers

Step 8: Crumpled up a bunch of newspaper and put it in the tub leaving just one open area in the middle so I can see the gauges in the back.

Step 9: Introduced the snake into the tub and watched him to make sure there was no problem. So far, so good with the exception of the humidity being a bit high but removing the moss seems to be helping that out.

Tips:
    1) Make sure you get a tub with a lid that latches.
    2) It's easier to tape over holes than to have to remove everything to burn them in.
    3) When you remove your UTH from the old tank either use a blowdryer or make sure it is still warm as it comes off much easier.
    4) I prefer a flat, long tub (no matter how many quarts it is) not a small deep one, but you can probably work with either. The deeper ones are more display like if they are clear plastic.

Cost of project:
    Tub: 4.99
    Tape: 5.99
    Double sided tape (I never used): 2.79
    Gauges: 10.49
    Newspaper: Free
    Hides: Free (one from the tank he was in and one an old plastic container I cut up)
    Heaters: Free (already had the UTH on the tank)

Total: $24.26 including tax

Thanks

close to 30 bucks i paid a piece of 8' by 4' melamine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bsd13 View Post
    I just moved mine into a tub over the past couple of days.

Step 1: Went to Wal-Mart and bought a 32 quart tub. (Bigger than needed, but the other sizes were much to small that they had in stock)

Step 2: Bought a roll of duct tape and some bungee cords (At Wally world as well). Make sure the cords will wrap around the tub. I also got a roll of double stick tape.

Step 3: Went to a couple of restaurants and picked up a bunch of newspaper for bedding (free).

Step 4: Went home and heated an awl in the flame of the stove and started poking holes in the top and sides of the tub. I figured I'd rather make to many and cover some up with some tape than have to keep going back to punch them. Just don't overdue it.

Step 5: Removed the UTH from the tank and transfered it to the bottom of the tub. I tried it without any additional bonding, but it heated up and fell off so I added duct tape to it. Just around the edges to secure it. Took four flat caps from water bottles and secured them to the bottom using duct tape. This gives some space between the bottom of the tub and whatever it is sitting on for circulation.

Step 6: Put everything but the snake in the tub. Newpaper, hides, water, moss, wood chunk, thermometer, hydrometer and then plugged everything in and let it sit for about 2 hours waiting to see what the heat and the humidity did.

Step 7: Poked some more holes in it to let some of the humidity escape. Waited and watched. Added more holes. Rinse wash repeat. Taped some holes up. Finally got it all where it needed to be. I then got four flat caps from water bottles as spacers

Step 8: Crumpled up a bunch of newspaper and put it in the tub leaving just one open area in the middle so I can see the gauges in the back.

Step 9: Introduced the snake into the tub and watched him to make sure there was no problem. So far, so good with the exception of the humidity being a bit high but removing the moss seems to be helping that out.

Tips:
    1) Make sure you get a tub with a lid that latches.
    2) It's easier to tape over holes than to have to remove everything to burn them in.
    3) When you remove your UTH from the old tank either use a blowdryer or make sure it is still warm as it comes off much easier.
    4) I prefer a flat, long tub (no matter how many quarts it is) not a small deep one, but you can probably work with either. The deeper ones are more display like if they are clear plastic.

Cost of project:
    Tub: 4.99
    Tape: 5.99
    Double sided tape (I never used): 2.79
    Gauges: 10.49
    Newspaper: Free
    Hides: Free (one from the tank he was in and one an old plastic container I cut up)
    Heaters: Free (already had the UTH on the tank)

Total: $24.26 including tax
    I hope u have some sort of t-stat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast