Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,517

2 members and 2,515 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Dog Food For Rats?

Repeat after me

Regal Rat Food is the best.

http://www.oxbowhay.com/link.sp?page=RegalRat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Desert View Post
    Mazuri uses it as a filler? That's interesting information. Would you mind citing any references that corroborate this? Thanks.
    I'm sorry, are you doubting that rats cannot digest alfalfa? I wont make this case for you, do your own research. I use only Mazuris 6F for all of my rats. Alfalfa is low on the list for ingredients, meaning that not much is used and it is not one of the main ingredients. If you dont like that answer, find your own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    I'm sorry, are you doubting that rats cannot digest alfalfa? I wont make this case for you, do your own research. I use only Mazuris 6F for all of my rats. Alfalfa is low on the list for ingredients, meaning that not much is used and it is not one of the main ingredients. If you dont like that answer, find your own.
    I suppose my answer to your inquiry about the alfalfa needs an addendum. Rats can digest some parts of alfalfa, but not well. They do process the protein from alfalfa comparatively well, but the grasses and certain parts of alfalfa isn't.

There are many, many journals out there with a lot of different takes on how rats digest certain parts and extracts of alfalfa, and with a description of 'alfalfa meal' on the ingredients list, we can't be sure what product of alfalfa is being fed.

It's generally a good rule of thumb that kaytee and generic brands of rat feed with alfalfa (being the main ingredient) is different from mazuris in how it's processed and used in the feed.

Mazuri is still undoubtedly one of the best feeds on the market, second to Harlan and Oxbow.

Feed low in alfalfa is better than one based solely on alfalfa.

Thanks

I feed diamond dog food.....the maintainance formula....it is just big enough it sits on the 1/2 in screen great! The only appreciable difference in nutrition between it and lab blocks is that it is a little low on fiber. So I give them stuff like dry pasta, and things for that. Then give my nursing mamas straight beef fat to make there milk richer. I've had no problems so far....

1.2 Pastel BP
    1.0 Spider BP
    1.0 Cinimmon BP
    1.0 Albino Bp
    1.0 Mojave BP
    0.12 Normal BP

Thanks

I'm sorry, are you doubting that rats cannot digest alfalfa?
    No need to apologise, I'm happy to clarify. I had asked you to corroborate your statement that Mazuri uses the alfalfa meal as a filler, by citing a reference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingLink View Post
    Repeat after me

Thats some expencive stuff! Is it pelated like Lab blocks?

Go Mazuri!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Desert View Post
    No need to apologise, I'm happy to clarify. I had asked you to corroborate your statement that Mazuri uses the alfalfa meal as a filler, by citing a reference.
    Riiiiiight.... did you even read my posts? I dont owe you anything I'm afraid. It was a suggestion or better, an idea that it is a filler... I honestly don't care if you want a reference or not. Why don't you email Purina and ask them?

Thanks

i find it interesting that the oxbow site sells the regal rat food as adult PET rat food.it seems to me that 14% protein and 4% fat are a bit low for breeders.

how long have you been using it? i guess if it works well that's all that counts.

sometimes i think that the popular "accepted" %'s are just a rough guide line.my rats seem to do great on a variety of different feeds i've used over the years.have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingLink View Post
    Repeat after me

TIMOTHY W. HURKMANS

" Do you really believe that what you believe is really real ? "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twh View Post
    i find it interesting that the oxbow site sells the regal rat food as adult PET rat food.it seems to me that 14% protein and 4% fat are a bit low for breeders.

how long have you been using it? i guess if it works well that's all that counts.

sometimes i think that the popular "accepted" %'s are just a rough guide line.my rats seem to do great on a variety of different feeds i've used over the years.have fun!
    I whole heartedly agree with this. Pet rats aren't being used mainly for breeding and dont need the same amounts as breeders. It's usually best to go with a higher percentage of protein for nursing mothers. A lot of people have success up to 18%- 20% protein, given that no skin problems occur.

Thanks

Riiiiiight.... did you even read my posts? I dont owe you anything I'm afraid. It was a suggestion or better, an idea that it is a filler... I honestly don't care if you want a reference or not. Why don't you email Purina and ask them?

You made an authoritative statement about an important product. You were asked to back it up with a reference. You responded with childish sarcasm and condescention along the path towards downgrading your statement from that of fact, to an idea. Thankyou for the clarification.

While I don't understand why a search for the truth would generate the childishness I've witnessed here, I will suggest that simply redressing your statement at the onset would have been a more prudent (and polite) choice for you.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast