Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,329

4 members and 3,325 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Why did YOU start?

I was cleaning up the snake room (ie, thinking of ways to add more) when I looked over at my very first Ball, Indy. I remember getting him for free from a pet store...they were going out of business and had not eaten since they got him so they pretty much gave up on him....he looked horrible and I really though he would die....7 years later he's doing extremely well and bred for me this season (my first breed project...woohoo)

I got him completely by accident....I was terrified but could not stand to see him suffer so I brough him home...I bought books, learned everything I could sponge up and in time...grew to adore BP's as well as other snakes....I now have 12 BP's, 3 burms and 2 rosy boas.....

all this from the pitiful little snake that everyone gave up on.....

whats YOUR story? How did you get started with this addictive hobby?

Thanks

Re: Why did YOU start?

I have just always been fascinated with them. They are amazing in so many ways.

Thanks

For me as a kid in NY I always loved reptiles (snakes were/are my favorite), my parents would not allow snakes in the house, so I always had others (anoles, turtles and an Iguana) After college I moved to an apartment in NJ with my then future (and now present) wife and we brought my turtles and then had some torts and a veiled Cham. I ran into the same "no snakes" rule from my wife that I've been dealing with my entire life.
    A few years later we bought a house and I had my own "pet" room to house all the herps in...it is a room off of my garage and it is heated so it was perfect....I promised that there would be no snakes...blah blah blah...So about a year later, at the White Plains Reptile Show I bought a female CH normal BP...it was my first snake and I was so excited. I had the tub set up at home in the pet room and I brought her home and she lived happily in that tub for almost 8 mos before my wife found out. Everyone knew I had a snake (family/friends/son/wife's family) except her....She would go into the pet room and not see it because it was in its hide....but one time she went in and there was a huge shed skin there..I was busted....after a few weeks on the couch, I explained how I felt about snakes and she agreed to let me follow my dreams.....47 BP's later, an LLC , rodent factory in the garage and a website...my wife has pretty much turned it around....so thats how I started.

Thanks

I was keeping some boas. And weant to my first reptile show. I saw Ralphie there with the first vpi snow and an axanthic dbl het. I lost it!! I am in the process of turning Everything into an axanthic!!

Thanks

[QUOTE=monk90222;715549]after a few weeks on the couch, I explained how I felt about snakes and she agreed to let me follow my dreams.....[QUOTE]

LOL...now THATS love!

The burms actually belong to my BF...sorta like a "prenump" must like snakes...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JASBALLS View Post
    I was keeping some boas. And weant to my first reptile show. I saw Ralphie there with the first vpi snow and an axanthic dbl het. I lost it!! I am in the process of turning Everything into an axanthic!!
    I have seen a couple of your snakes...no wonder you're into the hobby! Nice stuff!

Thanks

When I was 8 back in ol '93 my grandmother bought my a snow corn for X-mas. That was the beginning of the end! LOL.

Thanks

I did it plainly because i had never been alowed to own snakes as a teen. When i moved out the first thing i did was buy a ball python het albino, and ive loved ball pythons ever since. After owning Beardies, anything is easy, so feeding once a week was a huge pull factor. I love all my pets to death, and haveing a snake has surely been something different, were all so lucky getting to own them and learning about them, they are just so great!
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patthesnakeman View Post
    When I was 8 back in ol '93 my grandmother bought my a snow corn for X-mas. That was the beginning of the end! LOL.
    HA! GO GRAM!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    I did it plainly because i had never been alowed to own snakes as a teen. When i moved out the first thing i did was buy a ball python het albino, and ive loved ball pythons ever since. After owning Beardies, anything is easy, so feeding once a week was a huge pull factor. I love all my pets to death, and haveing a snake has surely been something different, were all so lucky getting to own them and learning about them, they are just so great!
    I adore my beardie, Norm...he's 12 now...older than dirt but still chases crickets with the best of 'em!

I agree, we are lucky

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast