Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,403

2 members and 3,401 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Finally got my BP, tell me what ya think!

Well even though I was told I shouldn't get one, I stayed up all night researching and finally decided to get one.. It's a baby and so far so good, was really active once I put him in the tank.

Heres some pics..

I put in some of the substrate the guy gave with the BP, he said it would be smart because they are so used to it

I am working on getting a few more plants and a small stick for the middle of the tank, any other opinions welcome

Thanks

Re: Finally got my BP, tell me what ya think!

Hey he/she looks pretty good. Nice lookin bp. Seeing how you did a lot of research I would assume you have all of your husbandry correct. Warm side 90-94 Cool side 82-84 and Humidity 50-60%

Make sure you have two identical hides, one on the cool side and one on the warm side. Also from the picture I can see that you have some aspen bedding thrown down over that carpet. I would suggest getting rid of the carpet and using strictly Aspen Bedding. Just get a bag from the pet store and lay down at least 1 inch of the stuff across the entire bottom of the cage. Its easier to clean when they poop or pee.
    1.0 Spider Ball (Kingsley)

Thanks

Nice snake! I noticed that you are using repti-carpet of some sort under the aspen. This is very hard to clean thoroughly...maybe you want to use just aspen alone? Also, the snake will feel more secure if you use black paper and cover the sides and back of the tank; it is a big tank for a little guy/gal! Remember that all of the 'ornaments' you put in the cage will need to be thoroughly cleaned and balls are not really climbers...
    I don't see hides in there; but I'm sure you have them! Also, which way did you go on the thermostat and how are you monitoring the temps?
    There is so much that goes into the husbandry of these herps (all living creatures, really). Good luck. Keep reading and learning. A good resource for you is Kevin McCurley's book: The Complete Ball Python which can be ordered off their website at NERD. You'll learn a ton and your excitement will only grow! Good luck with your new baby and keep us posted with all of the firsts- eating, shedding, etc.

I forgot to add that if he/she is really active in the daytime it might be because he/she is really stressed out. Remember to let it be for next week, feed it, and then let it be for a couple more days.....it's hard, but it is what is best for the snake!!
    Last edited by starmom; 02-05-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: i forgot...

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

I got the temp and humidity down pretty well, I am using a magnometer or some weird word specifically for the humidity and I have a digital thermometer. I am using a pepsi can box thing split in half on each side of the cage. I shouldn't of poured that substrate in but I am going to fix it next time I am out, Snake is very active and moving around a lot so far, He/she [not sure] was climbing all over the hanging trees I bought

I also am going to get a thermostat, Next time I am out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtxsub7 View Post
    I got the temp and humidity down pretty well, I am using a magnometer or some weird word specifically for the humidity and I have a digital thermometer. I am using a pepsi can box thing split in half on each side of the cage. I shouldn't of poured that substrate in but I am going to fix it next time I am out, Snake is very active and moving around a lot so far, He/she [not sure] was climbing all over the hanging trees I bought
    I think that he/she is freaking out. They are nocturnal reptiles! Make sure that the hides are small- really small- so that the ball will feel the sides of the hide against its body when curled up. Also, the hygrometer is for humidity; what are the temps on each side and the humidity? I forgot how you said you were heating it, sorry. Could you remind me about that and also how you are regulating the heat source?

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."

Thanks

The snake is crawling around because A it's in a new setting and B it's probably stressed out. An active bp during the day is usually attributed to stress.
    1.0 Spider Ball (Kingsley)

Thanks

Humidity is at 50ish
    Temp on hot side 89.5
    Cold side 84.3

Using a overhead lamp, with a 75w bulb inside, designed to increase the air tempature and also it clamps on so it isnt directly on the tank but hovering above, If i drop it down the tempature goes up if I put it higher it goes down, I pretty much have it on a good spot right now

Thanks

Gosh, not enough caffeine yet, obviously!
    I forgot to mention the importance of a digital scale and record keeping. With a scale, you can keep accurate weights on your snake month-by-month which can come in very useful should their ever be a question regarding weight loss and/or vet visits.
    Record keeping is HUGE!! Date, food offered, size/weight of food, accepted food or not, blue/shed dates, and a notes section. This will really help you get to know your snake really well and will also be helpful for referencing.
    Off to fill the coffee cup!

~~McKinsey~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtxsub7 View Post
    Humidity is at 50ish
    Temp on hot side 89.5
    Cold side 84.3

Using a overhead lamp, with a 75w bulb inside, designed to increase the air tempature and also it clamps on so it isnt directly on the tank but hovering above, If i drop it down the tempature goes up if I put it higher it goes down, I pretty much have it on a good spot right now
    Can you bump up a wee bit the hot side? I ask because most hobbyists don't have a snake room at constant temps. If your room temp dips at night, so will your tank.....

~~McKinsey~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starmom View Post
    Can you bump up a wee bit the hot side? I ask because most hobbyists don't have a snake room at constant temps. If your room temp dips at night, so will your tank.....
    Ya I will raise the temp, My room is actually really warm at night [my dads a heat freak but ty for all the tips and info... Anything else? THey said they feed them every thursday and live mice, if that matters any

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast