Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,292

1 members and 3,291 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Must Read - Now!

I know this is probably the wrong spot, but this is important. If it's been posted already, I appologize!

Feds Move To Ban Pythons & Boas

The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has made a significant move towards banning the importation and interstate transport of Boa Constrictors and Pythons in the United States. Quietly published in the Federal Register, the agency is accepting public comments until April 30th. If enacted this will devastate an already hard hit industry, dealing a fatal death blow to a large number of businesses dependent on this segment of the industry. Noted herpetologist, author, former zookeeper, and one of the leading private researchers and breeders of pythons in the United States, David Barker, had this to say...

This is the formal notification and request for public comments regarding the intention of USF&W Service to place ALL snakes in the genera Boa, Python, and Eunectes on the Injurious Wildlife List of the Lacey Act.

If enacted as regulation, this will ban the importation of said snakes into the USA , and ban all interstate transportation of said snakes.

There is a request made for public input and we feel it will be very important that all keepers with an interest in boas and pythons make written response before 30 April.

This is VERY important. Don’t take this lightly.

Once the importation and inter-state transport has been banned, there will be a rapid exodus of breeders of these species, and eventually they will disappear from the marketplace along with a significant number of businesses and jobs.

To review the USF & W Service proposal, please look at the following document. http://kingsnake.com/FWSReview.pdf
    Scott Collien

Sputnik's Reptiles

Thanks

Re: Kiss your hobby goodbye!!!! USFW Proposed ban!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffFlanagan View Post
    You can submit your comment here.
    Everyone please post your comments.

This is my comment that I posted on the web site posted above.

To Whom It May Concern:

Regarding the Injurious Wildlife Species; Review of Information Concerning Constrictor Snakes From Python, Boa, and Eunectes genera. I own 30 ball python (python regius), and 3 boa constrictors (Boa Constrictor Imperator). My collection includes morphs, which are worth more than normal appearing snakes.

I have invested approximately $10,000, into my collection. I plan on breeding and selling the babies to other hobbyist/ breeders. I plan on selling them via reptile shows, and over the internet. I am in the process of getting certified to ship via FEDEX and Delta. I will only ship within the United States.

Ball pythons and boa constrictors are non-venomous. They are not dangerous to humans. Ball pythons normally do not grow longer than 4-5 feet. Boa constrictors normally do not grow longer than 7-8 feet. I am an experienced keeper and have never had an issue with my snakes escaping. I have spent a lot of money on specialty caging, which makes it impossible for the snakes to escape.

Ball pythons and boa constrictors need heat to survive. If they were to escape, or if an irresponsible keeper were to let them go in the wild, they would not survive the winters of most states.

If this ban were to be put in place, my business would not survive. I would also be extremely upset, because my snakes are my pets. I ask that this ban is reconsidered.

Thank you very much for your time, and consideration.

Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

This is what I have so far:

---------------------
    I am writing in response to the proposed bill by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife to prohibit importation/ownership of all genera of Boa, Python and Eunectes.

I am deeply concerned with the impact that this bill will have on the community of people who keep and breed reptiles as a hobby. The vast majority of the species covered in the bill pose little threat to everyday life, certainly not more than owning a cat or a dog. I understand this bill is a response to the recent invasion of large python species infiltrating south Florida, but why not concentrate on the regulation of those select few species instead of outright banning all members of Boidae, most of which rarely exceed 5 feet long? After all, that is what the state of Florida has done already with the following species: Burmese python, African rock python, reticulated python, and green anacondas. The bill that the U.S.F.W. is proposing that is against all pythons and boas is the equivalent of banning the ownership of all dogs based on pitbulls used on dogfighting.

This bill, while good in its intentions, will end up devastating the lives of many hobbyists who keep those smaller species. I, for one, own a ball python, a commonly kept species that rarely even reaches a length of five feet and poses no greater threat to human life than a toy poodle. I have had this snake for nearly 15 years, longer than any other pet I've owned. I couldn't bear to give him up, but if this bill is passed, I fear I will be forced to do so.

I hope that the powers that be reconsider this bill and what it really means for the reptile industry.

------------------------------
    Any feedback would be welcome.
    ---------
    Art Portfolio: http://www.artREXdesigns.com
    House Snake Site: http://www.shiningsnakes.com

Thanks

Re: Must Read - Now!

It has been posted already in the General Herp section.
    ---------
    Art Portfolio: http://www.artREXdesigns.com
    House Snake Site: http://www.shiningsnakes.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icygirl View Post
    OH haha... well I feel stupid.
    No worries!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

If it would help I am sure that others including me would volunteer
    some of our time to helping places like the everglades in any way we can. Maybe someone could get a group of people willing to go out and catch as many of the released herps as they can. I sure if a few people went out in the glades every weekend to catch them it would make a difference. Think about it if we can wipe out populations of herps by catching to many in their own natural areas, by catching to many, than surely we can do this in a place where their numbers are much lower to start off with.
    I think that it would be important for us to come up with smart ways of fixing the problem too, and putting them in our letters. This will help our situation in more then one way. One it will come up with a way to fix the problem with out a ban. And two it makes us Herp lovers look like part of the solution and not the problem.

Thanks

Re: Must Read - Now!

Yup, if someone wants to move it... delete it then fine, but it's very important. I'm sorry if it's the wrong place, but it needs a lot of attention.
    Scott Collien

Sputnik's Reptiles

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Everyone keeps asking whats next? You will be unable to breath without writting permision from the president .I also find this crap being pushed for during the pesidential stuff going on .We all need to come together and shut these jerks down FOREVER
    Joe Haggard

Banned
    Thanks

I always thought diplomacy, and our government was about the people deciding how the country was to be run. To vote on it, and have a fair decision. That no one person could decide for us, saying this is how this will be run, and that being done this way; or tell us what we can or cannot do, and run our lives....That the voice of the people were to ultimately decide. Seems to be less true every day....

Thanks

As several have said, we need to be smart about this. No threats, no bad language, no hate mail, no rambling comments. Comments must be clear and to the point. We need to respond to the proposed regs but we also need to write every one of our US elected officials, US representatives and senators, to make them understand why this isn't smart. Politics can come into play. This was issued by the beaurcrats - they can be influenced by politicians who do not like their voters upset.

There are also points we should be aware of when writing our legislators. Usually one page max, make your point in the first sentence e.g., "I am very concerned about the proposed regulations by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to ban the importation and interstate transport of constrictor snakes because ___________" Fill in the blank . .. I make a living breeding and selling these snakes, or I have a small business that breeds and sells these snakes, or I plan to breed and sell snakes in this category in the next year . . . . .

Then go on and explain why this is very important to you.

Some examples of well written letters would be very helpful to most people on the various fourms. I remember some from people who were facing bans in their states - those may need to be resurected. If anyone has written one or sees one somewhere else, post it please.

Let's take this very seriously.
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast