Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,170

0 members and 3,170 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Kiss your hobby goodbye!!!! USFW Proposed ban!!!!

I will definetley send a letter...
    I understand banning anacondas, burmese pythons and retics, because they get realesed very often but not ALL species of boa and pythons should be banned! Very unfair

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonsRule View Post
    I will definetley send a letter...
    I understand banning anacondas, burmese pythons and retics, because they get realesed very often but not ALL species of boa and pythons should be banned! Very unfair
    Banning the species you listed will only open the door to ban the rest.

banning does nothing but hurt good people. The bad people will continue to do it untill caught. Good people follow the laws.

There is now a permit system in place in florida for larger snakes.

Thanks

I'll be sending a letter, no doubt...

If this is caused because giants that have been released are thriving... *I HAVE NOT READ THE LINK YET*

The first thing that comes to mind is that SURELLY they know that the everglades are a unique climate, correct? Even here in TEXAS, I don't believe any non-hibernating snake would survive one winter out doors!?!?
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

Dont just blame this on cleaning up Florida. Florida isnt the only reason this has come up. Sadly, yes we do have everglades here and people who dump their no longer desired animals into the glades but it cant *just* be because of our state. I hope this doesnt pass, i would be simply devestated. On a side note for the grandfather thing.. what would they do with all the snakes already living around the country? Wait 20+ years for them to all die off? What about zoo's wanting these species since they will be banned how would they aquire them? I could understand making people carry permits on pythons, boas, exc but certainly not banning them all together!! they have already put permits into effect down here for larger snakes.

Thanks

Outrageous. I definitly will be writing a letter. I don't understand why they would go about this whole permit thing in Florida, then turn around and outright ban it a few months later.

Florida is one of the only ecosystems in America where these snakes can thrive. Anywhere else it is too dry or cold. To outright ban pretty much every pet snake(besides corns) because of one small section down in Florida is ridiculous. What about iguanas? They are very damaging to the ecosystem and they get 6-8 feet in length.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyB View Post
    Dont just blame this on cleaning up Florida. Florida isnt the only reason this has come up. Sadly, yes we do have everglades here and people who dump their no longer desired animals into the glades but it cant *just* be because of our state. I hope this doesnt pass, i would be simply devestated. On a side note for the grandfather thing.. what would they do with all the snakes already living around the country? Wait 20+ years for them to all die off? What about zoo's wanting these species since they will be banned how would they aquire them? I could understand making people carry permits on pythons, boas, exc but certainly not banning them all together!! they have already put permits into effect down here for larger snakes.

This is banning the importation of them and them crossing state lines not owning them

Also Zoos do nto fall under the same laws.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyB View Post
    I could understand making people carry permits on pythons, boas, exc but certainly not banning them all together!! they have already put permits into effect down here for larger snakes.
    They are not banning the keeping of snakes, only cross-state trading of snakes. Which would effectively crush much of the snake-keeping business. Think about this: Any pet store that imports these snakes from out of state would have to stop carrying them. That means, virtually NO more ball pythons, RTB's, or anything in any store... You'd have teenagers breeding ball pythons in their bedrooms and selling them to their local Petco. (OK, so that's a bit much )

The people who are going to have the most impact on the feds are people who breed pythons/boas/anas for money. If you look at the list of comment questions on the proposal pdf, they are mainly about the annual sales of these animals, how many breeders there are, how the breeders would be affected, etc. (In other words, Feds care about $$$ more than hobbyists!)

Can't wait to hear what the NERD people will have to say about this.
    Last edited by icygirl; 02-02-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icygirl View Post
    They are not banning the keeping of snakes, only cross-state trading of snakes. Which would effectively crush much of the snake-keeping business. Think about this: Any pet store that imports these snakes from out of state would have to stop carrying them. That means, virtually NO more ball pythons, RTB's, or anything in any store... You'd have teenagers breeding ball pythons in their bedrooms and selling them to their local Petco. (OK, so that's a bit much )

The people who are going to have the most impact on the feds are people who breed pythons/boas/anas for money. If you look at the list of comment questions on the proposal pdf, they are mainly about the annual sales of these animals, how many breeders there are, how the breeders would be affected, etc. (In other words, Feds care about $$$ more than hobbyists!)

Can't wait to hear what the NERD people will have to say about this.

KLG is Kara from NERD...
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laooda View Post
    KLG is Kara from NERD...
    OH haha... well I feel stupid.

Thanks

This is the equivalent of banning all dogs just because pitbulls are used for dogfighting. This is ridiculous. I am in the process of putting my own letter together.

I agree with whoever here who said that it will do nothing to solve the problem they're gunning for: bad people will continue to go outside the law until they get caught, and the good people will suffer.

That said, I really don't think this will go through. It possible, but we've had scares before. I'm not too terribly worried, but I will do what I can to say my piece to the powers that be.
    ---------
    Art Portfolio: http://www.artREXdesigns.com
    House Snake Site: http://www.shiningsnakes.com

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast