Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,411

5 members and 3,406 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Kiss your hobby goodbye!!!! USFW Proposed ban!!!!

DO NOT GO JUMPING YOUR GUNS WITHOUT FIRST COMPLETELY READING THE GUIDELINES. MAKE YOUR LETTER COUNT, BE RESPECTFUL AND HAVE OTHERS REVIEW YOUR LETTER BEFORE SENDING IT IN.
    Good Point!!

Banned
    Thanks

Kara, I'm contacting Bob, Mike, and Jay about this; and working on my letter as we speak! I cannot believe they're going to this extent now. This is insane! I'll do everything I can!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KLG View Post
    That's not the primary focus - the primary focus is potentially invasive species that may have an impact on our native ecosystems. This is where RESPONSIBLE HERPETOCULTURE comes into play! If they weren't finding Burmese pythons in the Everglades, this wouldn't have as much validity.
    The other thing they're not looking into is the damage that the hurricanes have done, to allow this. They've released a multitude of species into the everglades that could establish themselves, including various species of primates, various mammal species, various species of monitors, elapids, various other Pythons including Reticulated Pythons, African Rock Pythons and rare species. The most common and notable though is the Burmese, due largely to their frequent occurrence of finds, as well as their noted feeding on large Floridian predators and mammals, and discoveries of clutches, juveniles, and younger animals (Noting they have established themselves and are thriving). All its doing though, is giving fuel to their fire. Really all we can do now is fight it

Thanks

My hobby is my life. It would almost kill me if they took it away.
    Why cant they worry more about all the gangs and people selling meth to kids and crap like that. I also agree that their are worse things running lose than snakes. And not just Cats and dogs. In the everglades there are alot of feral pigs runnung around causing alot of damage. There are so many other invasive species causing more damage and have been there way before snakes came in to the picture. It is unbelieveable that they are trying to pass this.

Banned
    Thanks

On this note Kara, I've had some newb knot it all aggree'ing with this ban, and restriction, saying it could be one of the best things for this hobby, on Bobs forum. Same newbie know it all that went heads up with me on AfRocks... I'm hoping majority of the Herp community pulls through and fights this...

Thanks

Where will this end? If their arguement is about animals getting out and becoming a threat to native wildlife.. Then.. when will they try to ban cats. Dogs. Horses. Chickens.. all damn animals on earth. Wow, I am heated right now. I will write up a polite, non-confrontational letter though, because getting angry will only make us sound like a bunch of what many perceive snake keepers to be; freaks.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

The thing that worries me though. If I were to use my actual address and the ban does go into effect; are they going to knock on my flippin' door looking for snakes? Monitor me for electrical use? Threat me like a marijuana grower with helicoptors in my yard? Time to get a PO box..
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Guys do not send letters with threats. Be smart about this. Send letters that show the reasons why this hobby is important.

If this did pass. The outcome would be this.

National shows=DEAD
    Bigger shows=DEAD(only locale breeders would and could go)
    Online sales=DEAD

Well for the species they list.

This would be the beggining of the end.

Now IMO this can and will be faught. As do you honestly know how much in tax dollars states would lose from this ban?

Banned
    Thanks

Exactly Gary. This can be fought logically, morally, and respectfully. I have contacted both Bob Clark, and Mike Wilbanks about this and they are working on it. I cannot call Jay for another couple hours, due to the time zone, but as soon as I can, I will get on it!

Thanks

To be honest I do not see this all happening. just like in Ohio it was brought up then shot down.

Now could it? Yes? But if everyone keeps their heads on straight this can be faught. Take your time writing your letters. Do not worry about the address thing. Put your address down. If this bill does pass there will have to be a grandfather clause. Shoot do you know how many pythosn and boas are here in the states?

I think what the F&W are after is the importing. But believe me when I say. the breeders are going to step up. But we also need the hobbiests to step up. Be thoughtful in your letters.

There is a better way to clean up Florida. Florida is the reason for this. Just like Kara said.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast