Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,180

3 members and 3,177 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728
    Thanks

Re: Kiss your hobby goodbye!!!! USFW Proposed ban!!!!

Okay you guys. Florida has already implemented a permit requirement for any snake that can potentially go over 8 feet long. To get the permit, you will need to take some training classes and some government guy will inspect your enclosure. So, it is the best solution in my opinion. Nothing super drastic like banning, but it makes certain that people getting giants know what they're getting into. I don't know how they monitor inter-state sales. All I know is that if you go to the reptile store close to my house, the guys will ask for your permit before you can purchase the big crawlies.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to anatess For This Useful Post:

Pyth0nParalyze (03-08-2009)

Thanks

I got this e-mail today:
    USARK Introduces Landmark Legislation into NC Senate

In a major reversal of the trend started by the Animal Rights Movement 9 years ago to BAN many reptiles at the State and Local level, USARK has introduced their Model Legislation in North Carolina. If passed Senate Bill 307 (S307) will require caging standards, safety protocols, escape prevention, and registration for venomous, large constrictors and crocodilians, but will allow individuals to maintain their right to work with these animals into perpetuity. This is a truly historic and precedent setting event. This is the first time the Herp Community has actually stood up and done something for themselves... by themselves! Now that we have begun, let us not lose our momentum. USARK, together with YOU, will actively work to secure our collective futures at the Local, State and national levels.
    This has set ground breaking precedent for other states to follow. Virginia has already indicated that they want to introduce similar legislation in the 2010 Legislative Session. The Herp Community, through USARK, has taken it's destiny into it's own hands. No longer will we stand idly by and watch our rights disappear. Remember this day for we are making history and securing our own futures.
    Click here to thank Senator Jones for introducing S307- we need as many responses as possible!
    Read S307- there are some minor mistakes that will be fixed in committee.
    Pushing Legislation is expensive! Join the Reptile Nation & Protect Your Rights! JOIN USARK TODAY!
    Thank all of you for your support. Together we are accomplishing great things for our community!! Thank you for standing up for yourselves with USARK on this historic day.

***Send this to everyone on your email list... post on the forums and social networking sites you visit. Tell everyone to Join the Reptile Nation!... even if they don't join tell them to sign up on our free email list.

Andrew Wyatt

President USARK

Thanks

This is really good to hear but if a Federal law comes out banning all reptile trade it trumps anything the states do. I still wonder what will happen to this industry if the ban passes... I guess people who really REALLY want these animals will just have to do some driving and hope they don't get pulled over...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    Okay you guys. Florida has already implemented a permit requirement for any snake that can potentially go over 8 feet long. To get the permit, you will need to take some training classes and some government guy will inspect your enclosure. So, it is the best solution in my opinion. Nothing super drastic like banning, but it makes certain that people getting giants know what they're getting into. I don't know how they monitor inter-state sales. All I know is that if you go to the reptile store close to my house, the guys will ask for your permit before you can purchase the big crawlies.
    See, now I would be fine if there were regulations made such as acquiring permits and licenses for certain species of reptiles and snakes that have been looked at as "questionable" than just flat out banning everything entirely. At least with permits/licenses its a type of certification for people who know what they're doing with these animals, and I guess that idea of having "certifications" is a lot better than some ordinary person housing a 12 foot long snake (not to say that ordinary people can't handle these types of things, just look at all the users on here who are living the hobby!)

Even though reptiles and guns are two different issues, the way I look at it is that it would just be like having a permit for a firearm. You've went through the education, practice, training, and a test to acquire a permit to legally have a firearm. IMO i'd rather comply with a set of reasonable (notice that I exaggerated that... the law can sometimes tack on some ridiculous things) guidelines and regulations to house certain types of reptiles and snakes than to just have a ban entirely.

Thanks

wow. i just saw this thread...if they ban ball pythons i will be amazed. what threat do they impose?? maybe a threat to my neigbors chihuahua but thats about it!

Thanks

Exclamation Re: Kiss your hobby goodbye!!!! USFW Proposed ban!!!!

I urge everyone to take this seriously and submit your signature to the online petition. This blanket legislation is very dangerous. I noticed that livestock, dogs and cats are excluded. What was the criteria for that? This bill is based on bogus science. This will destroy the exotic pet hobby and industry in this country. Not only that, it could drive some species into extinction. What of the species that almost entirely exist in American breeding programs, due to the loss of their habitat from deforestation.
    1.2 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Coastal Carpet Pythons, 0.1 Red Tail Boa, 0.1 Japanese Rat Snake, 2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks

i signed it. how many people have signed it so far and how many you think we will need in order to make a difference
    pin albino bp in the making

Thanks

So, um.... what petition? You mean one about what this topic was originally about? Because this topic is over a year old and this stuff went down a year ago. Not right now, now this upcoming April, but last year.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oxylepy View Post
    So, um.... what petition? You mean one about what this topic was originally about? Because this topic is over a year old and this stuff went down a year ago. Not right now, now this upcoming April, but last year.
    It is true that the bill in this original topic went down last year. Now there is a new one. I'm going to lock this thread so they don't get confused. There are new active threads going about the new bill...as well as announcements at the tops of each forum and front-n-center on the BP.net homepage.
    -- Judy

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728