Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,967

1 members and 2,966 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

I suspect she's gravid...but I'd like second (and 3rd, 4th..) opinions

Well...I've been putting my 07 pastel male in with her (she's a four year old 2100g girl) since Thanksgiving, but have not observed any locks, and while the first few times I put them together, they would lay together, for the last month or so they've been sitting on opposite ends of the tank.

Now, I've seen a lot of very abnormal behavior this fall and winter...for one, going off feed which I took to be a good sign that she was ready for breeding. She'd never refused a meal before this fall except when I discovered that no, she doesn't feed F/T. After a month or two of being put in with him, I began noticing that she was spending a lot of time laying on her side, with her belly exposed to the air--something she's never done before. She's also been doing a lot of laying in funny positions.

I have not observed her spending more time on one side of the tank or another; she's always been fairly active, and thermoregulates actively. I have also not observed bowl wrapping.

However, she shed for the first time since right before Thanksgiving the other day...and she's lightened a LOT. Especially her head and neck; she matches all of the pics of "glow before she goes" that I've ever seen.

Because I had not observed locks, and because they were avoiding one another, I assumed that Chocobo (my male pastel) was just not ready to breed...until she shed out that light, and then I reexamined everything and began to doubt that. Yes, I didn't OBSERVE any locks--but I only got to check twice a day, and spent most of the day gone (and the nights asleep!). Considering how shy Chocobo is, it wouldn't surprise me if he decided he wasn't gonna do anything during daytime...but I didn't really think so. I've never bred before, so...what do you think? Should I keep putting them in together? Or keep them apart?

Thanks for the help!
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Thanks

Re: I suspect she's gravid...but I'd like second (and 3rd, 4th..) opinions

Sounds to me like she's developing but not ovulated yet. If your male has quitely been getting it done, then great. Its pretty unusual that you would not have seen any locks at all if your able to check 2x per day, since they will normal lock up for 12+ hours at a time.

If he's just ben cuddling she may well at some point reverse the process of building for eggs and reabsorb the follicles... If she goes all the way to ovulation without getting any actual breedings you may end up with some slugs.

Does that help at all? I'd definately keep putting them together and if you don't observe any breedings soon and you really want eggs this year, get a male that is older and will get the job done!

Justin
    J. Kobylka Reptiles Website
    Check out the 2013 JKR incubator!

Warning:
    Snakes have been shown to cause death in laboratory rats.

Thanks

Thanks very much Justin!!! That helps a lot. I wasn't sure what was going on...do they 'glow' before becoming gravid frequently?

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely keep putting them together...but I'm not desperate for eggs this year. Mind you, when I say two times a day, I mean a quick glance as I run out of my room at 7am and a longer look around 9pm, so there's plenty of opportunity...or at least, I suppose.

XD And if I was to get an older male...he'd be a spider. (Or a lesser but I know it's a pipe dream to find an affordable breedable lesser boy!)

But in any case...thanks for the response!
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Thanks

Sounds ood to me. Seems like she is developing and building follicles. Last year I got 5 eggs from a pair that I never saw lock, but I got eggs. So it can definately happen. And I was looking a lot, I must have just missed it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
    Thanks very much Justin!!! That helps a lot. I wasn't sure what was going on...do they 'glow' before becoming gravid frequently?

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely keep putting them together...but I'm not desperate for eggs this year. Mind you, when I say two times a day, I mean a quick glance as I run out of my room at 7am and a longer look around 9pm, so there's plenty of opportunity...or at least, I suppose.

XD And if I was to get an older male...he'd be a spider. (Or a lesser but I know it's a pipe dream to find an affordable breedable lesser boy!)

But in any case...thanks for the response!
    its easy to miss seeing breedings like petboy said, but the fact that he's an '07, coupled with you never seeing a lock would make me wonder... Best of luck!

Justin
    J. Kobylka Reptiles Website
    Check out the 2013 JKR incubator!

Warning:
    Snakes have been shown to cause death in laboratory rats.