Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,899

1 members and 2,898 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Stupid schools! grrr

So my 5th grade daughter is supposed to be doing a science fair project. She was supposed to turn in her plan for her project today (Friday) to get it approved. I encouraged her to think of at least 2 totally different ideas so that we can discuss them with her teacher (Mrs. A) to make sure she selects a project that is well suited to the school's requirements. She has her ideas before she goes to bed Tuesday, and I send in a note Wednesday morning to Mrs. A requesting a time we could discuss it.

I don't hear from Mrs. A all day, so I ask my daughter if Mrs. A had said anything to her. No, it turns out Mrs. A was out Wednesday, and will be out Thursday also, so suddenly there is no chance to talk to Mrs. A before the plan for the project is due. (And I thought I was doing good having my daughter have 2 different ideas already fully thought out 3 days before it was due) I ask the school if we could possibly speak with one of the other 5th grade teachers, since they all do the same science fair (in fact the whole county does). No, but Mrs. A is usually good about checking her email from home, so I should try that.

Fine. We go home, write up an email, and get a reply just before bedtime that night. One of my daughter's ideas, the one she is more interested in, is about teaching rats to run through a maze. Mrs. A says she advises (actually she said advice, but I won't even go down the path about teachers that don't know proper grammar!) against the rat maze "because you have to fill out an extra form to use animals." Totally ignores my question about which one is better suited to the requirements of the assignment. I don't know about you, but I don't want to teach my daughter to choose based on which one is the least work! I want her to do the project that interests her, as long as it is appropriate. So I send an email back to Mrs. A saying so, but also repeating that we wanted to know whether either of the ideas my daughter had come up with were or were not suited to the requirements of the assignment. This is still Wednesday night.

I don't get a reply until late Thursday. It basically says she is passing my question off to the head of the science department. So my daughter is supposed to turn in a plan for her project Friday morning, and we still don't have an answer. I make a copy of the form and tell my daughter to fill out one for each of her 2 ideas, not knowing what else to do.

I don't hear anything all day Friday, but when I see my daughter after school, she tells me she has a form to fill out for the rat maze project. But her father is there to pick her up for the weekend, and he is always in a rush (don't get me started on that either), so I won't be able to see it until I pick her up at his house at the end of the weekend. She probably won't look at it either because she never does anything school related at his house (or that).

Part of what really frustrates me about this is that both my daughter and I read through about 30 pages of rules and other information, and no where in there did it say anything about not using animals, or needing an extra form or special permission to do so. It did say that no vertebrates may be displayed, along with quite a long list of other things (chemicals, microbial cultures, etc.) that can't be displayed, and it said that photographs are suitable representations of things that can't be displayed. One of the possible categories is "animal sciences", so it is not like the fact that a kid might think of a project involving animals should have been a surprise to them!

The only good news is that the school does require them to get an early start on this assignment. The completed project is not due until March. So being slowed down a couple of days due to this confusion shouldn't have a negative effect on my daughter's project. It just would be nice if they were better prepared to handle this sort of situation. And, I've still not received any sort of response what so ever to my original question, of which one of my daughter's 2 ideas (or both, or neither) is suited to the assignment.

Thanks for letting me rant...
    Casey

Thanks

Re: Stupid schools! grrr

Casey, my daughter's 6th grade science fair project was rat related (it was about how rats grow based on diet). Anyways, she also did have to do the extra paperwork because she was using live animals. If I remember correctly it even included a plan for the rats after the "experiment" was over. It was actually a great project, she really enjoyed it and won a nice prize for it as well. The two rats went on to nice long lives are breeder females in my breeder/feeder colony.

Sorry your child's school is giving you the run around. Sometimes it's a tad frustrating to deal with this stuff but if your daughter is excited about her rat maze project then that's the one she should push to do. Being really interested in something is always going to make the whole experience that much better I think.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

School stories!!!!!!!

I was a "pre ADD" kid (trust me I had a problem of not turning in homework I had actually done back around middle school. When I was in third grade I had this teacher that was about to retire, Mrs Baker. My mom didn't believe me at first when I told her she fell asleep in class until my mom met her.

My mom was having a conference with all my teachers and found I wasn't doing to well in Mrs Bakers class. Her and my mom agreed that if I continued my poor performance she would recieve a call from Mrs Baker. End of the school year and Mrs Baker calls my mom and informs her that I am a failure in third grade english. Thanks to my mother I passed and Mrs Baker went on to retirement.

Thanks

Oh Casey, I feel your pain. It's so frustrating when dealing with the school system sometimes. Worse case scenario talk to the dept head or the principal if you don't get the info you need. In most cases, you are NOT the only one coming up with these problems.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

I feel your pain.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Update...

Today, 18 days after my daughter turned in her plan for her rat maze project, and 13 days after she turned in the extra form to use live animals, we FINALLY got the approval to use the animals. But, we still haven't gotten get back the original plan, which all the rest of the kids got back within a few days, with teacher's comments that are supposed to help them fine-tune their plan. I think the teacher forgot about it while waiting for the approval to use live animals (which had to come from someone at the county school district). So I just sent the teacher an email and I *hope* we'll finally have all the paperwork in place to start the project tomorrow.

More than 1/4 of the time my daughter had to work on this project has been used up by waiting to get her project approved. On this form for using live animals, which supposedly caused this huge delay, my daughter had to answer 4 questions, but it doesn't sound too bad all smushed together into one paragraph, so I'll do that to keep it simple:

We get rewards for doing well at school. Now I want to test how rewards affect animal learning. I will learn more about how different rewards affect animal learning. This could help in training any animal. Appropriate caging, food, and handling will be applied to care for my friend's rats. I am borrowing rats from my friend and my friend understand my project. My maze will be well designed and harmless. The rats have no other part in this project.
    Would someone please explain to me HOW it could possibly take 13 days to approve those 8 sentences?!?

Anyway, about a week ago I basically said to heck with waiting for them and started having my daughter do the research and such that she was supposed to do after her project was approved but before starting actual experimentation. So we aren't quite as far behind as we would have been if we'd waited for approval before going on to the next step.

The good news is she is still very excited about the project! I was a little concerned that the delay was going to kill her enthusiasm, and turn the entire thing into a night mare.
    Casey