Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,707

3 members and 2,704 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gabby

Thanks

Re: Gabby

That little gabby is awesome!

Thanks for sharing those pics. It's nice to see some new species too.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Awww,

That looks so cute and sweet.

dr del
    Lol!
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks

You have some very nice snakes! Gabbies i have always admired from a far.......they do give you that look of pick me up! But we all know thats not smart! Nice collection! how long have you been keeping Hots?
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks

Very nice Gaboon...I love their pattern and color...they are great to look at from a distance
    Heather Martin

Thanks

Roughly 5 to 6 years I have been on the hot side. Over 15 years on nonvenomous.

Thanks

I've never really gotten to know a hot owner, Gary. I'd be interested in hearing what safety precautions you've developed over the years of owning these gorgeous, but deadly snakes (either in this thread or if you want, feel free to start another). I just think it would be fascinating to know what goes into being a truly responsible hot handler.

Btw, if you're interested check out this link. I got a quite nice close up shot of the Toledo Zoo Gaboon Vipers, plus an Aruba Island Rattlesnake that is so unbelievable it barely seems real.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ghlight=Toledo
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

OH I will talk herps all day if you let me. LOL.

Things I have picked up work for me but not others. So please, people that read this do not think this is the total right way for things. The best way is to train with a person in hots.

1) The first thing I always do before I work with any hot is I ask myself. Am I ready to deal with so and so hot. Am I focused. Some may laugh but this is the way I am. If I for any reason feel I can not work with it I do not. Most of the time it is me being sick or tired and I will not work with hots when I am sick or tired. I do not fear any snake I have. I respect them. Fear makes you shake and make fast but bad choices IMO. Respect keeps you calm and lets you make better choices.

2) Always have your tools. I use hooks not tongs. I do not like tongs. I do not like the way they feel for me. And I need my tools to be an extension of my hand. hook and tailing work great with 90% of my collection.

3) Caging has to be easy to get to. I mean nothing infront of the cages. And you must have room to work with said snake when they are out.

Stuff needed when working with hots

1) Hooks
    2) 55 gallon trash can with a cut out in the lid and plexi glass glued so you can see into the can. This is a life safer IMO
    3) Proto call books for every species you have. Use latin and all common names known. Why becuase some species get many common names but only one latin. Also include recent bites of that species and how them doctors handled it. List friends numbers and family numbers. A form to fill out if you are bit. On this form will be info like. When the bite happened. What you were doing when bite happened. How large the species is. Reactions to venom before you get to help. Ect. I will post a form soon for everyone.
    4) Keeping things clean so that you have less health issues. this is important. Less health issues mean less time with hot out.
    5) Not letting just anyone look at animals. I have them but you have to really know me to see them in person. Why. They are dangerous. And I do not want to put anyone at danger unless they trully understand. and do not expect me to get animals out when you are there. Everyone can see them in there cages there is no reason to get them out.
    6) I keep better records of my hots then i do anything else. Why. Just incase of a bite. If I get bit by my boomslang that eats like a horse it maybe worse then getting bit by a boomer that is not eating so well.

Other stuff is not showing off. I love my hots but guess what it is not worth getting bit showing them off. Not many times will you see me touching snakes. Mangroves are different. I have been dealing with so many that I think I am one. It is nothing to me to get into a cage and get a Mang out like a cornsnake. I have pics of me holding them. But they rarely are seen.

I tell everyone that says "man you have hots you are gutsy" it is not gutsy. It is not elite to own them. I just chose to take my knowledge to the next level. Once you get past the venom it is just a snake. I never EVER look down on anyone for owning nonvenomous. I do not care if it is a checkered Garter. I think all snakes are cool as all out! With me owning a site and forum me owning hots was kinda blown up. I talk to some of the top hot keepers in the hobby. And when I am mentioned with them I feel honored. I really am just a breeder that is trying to do good for the hobby.

If there is any questions I can answer just ask. I will answer anything.

Thanks

Absolutely excellent post Gary! I like your wisdom here and how you view these snakes not as a "cool" thing but with deep respect for them. A joy to read this post.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Gary, I think I've met you before. I'm fairly sure that I spoke with you about hots for a short while at the NE Ohio Herp Show at the Ashtabula County Fairgrounds. If I remember correctly, you were set up next to a guy with a table full of Southern Coppers and Cottonmouths. We spoke about Southern vs. Northern Copperheads, as well as Gaboons, BP's as a popular King Cobra food, and a slick looking Mojave x Western Diamondback that you had there (I think that is what it was). If you're the guy I'm thinking of, then Hello Again
    Last edited by no pants man; 02-19-2008 at 09:23 PM. Reason: major typo

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

that mangrove is awesome!! Do you keep any other Boiga?
    Been looking for a nice young female mangrove for some time now.
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast