Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,063

2 members and 3,061 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Should I Get Her Or Not..?

Well I'm talking to this guy and he has a female BP for sale.. She is 1 1/2 years old, about 3.5 ft and eats medium rats... Only thing is she is housed with a hog island boa and a RTB. I said that IBD can spread, and the risk of cannibalism and stuff... he said that as long a they're the same size it's ok. He knows because he's been keeping them since he was 3.... Ok, I've only had snakes for 2 years but I KNOW housing snakes together for non-breeding purposes is asing for trouble.. right?
    Any way should I get her? She's only $30, way less than any adult females...And I need one to prove my male out... He's sending me pictures(s) so I'll post them later..
    Advice... anyone?

Thanks

Re: Should I Get Her Or Not..?

Even if you would purchase her, you should keep her in quarantine for three months or so... in this case, I would personally keep her in quarantine---far away from other snakes---for a good six months to a year (that's just me, of course).

Don't jump the gun just because the snake is cheap and you're in a hurry. That's normally when things go wrong... and you usually get what you pay for...

Thanks

Hmmm...I duno...I am no IBD expert, but I dont think she is the female for your male...because for one she probably hasnt been cycled...and you should quarantine her for a while before introducing her to anything. She just may not be ready THIS season to breed...you may be rushing her. If I were you I would spend that extra dollar and find a nice large healthy female who has been cycled, they are everywhere on KS I can assure that you will be much happier with the results. Just my thoughts! Good Luck!
    -Josh

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

IBD kill a ball python in a matter of weeks so if she has been housed with Boas for a while and has not shown any problem it is safe to say that IBD is not an issue.

Now as far as getting her to me it is not buying an animal but a rescue mission.

If this person as such poor husbandry practices there is no telling what else can be wrong, mites, BP being stressed, BP not eating, RI etc.

Do you even have any guaranty that this is a female???

I will leave it to this is saving money worth having to deal with possible problems and taking risks? (only you can answer that)

Now would I take her? No thank you!
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    Even if you would purchase her, you should keep her in quarantine for three months or so... in this case, I would personally keep her in quarantine---far away from other snakes---for a good six months to a year (that's just me, of course).

Don't jump the gun just because the snake is cheap and you're in a hurry. That's normally when things go wrong... and you usually get what you pay for...
    I understand, I usually quaratine for 2 months, this snake will def. get about half a year. I am planning to take her to the vet for a check up and to check for parasites and stuff before I put her with my other babies...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerhart View Post
    Hmmm...I duno...I am no IBD expert, but I dont think she is the female for your male...because for one she probably hasnt been cycled...and you should quarantine her for a while before introducing her to anything. She just may not be ready THIS season to breed...you may be rushing her. If I were you I would spend that extra dollar and find a nice large healthy female who has been cycled, they are everywhere on KS I can assure that you will be much happier with the results. Just my thoughts! Good Luck!
    -Josh
    I don't want to breed her as soon as she comes home, of course... I'll give her time and stuff, not breed this season... My male is way too small any way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Ball_Pythons View Post

Now as far as getting her to me it is not buying an animal but a rescue mission.
    True.

If this person as such poor husbandry practices there is no telling what else can be wrong, mites, BP being stressed, BP not eating, RI etc.
    That's why I'm planning to go to the vet asap I can.

Do you even have any guaranty that this is a female???
    I will take my probing kit, to make sure.. It better be a female since he's 1 hour away.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I would agree with all the above post....be careful.

Thanks

I would certainly give you the thumbs up on rescuing this poor snake. And you are certainly right in having an herp vet examine this animal as soon as you get it. I would have a vet look at the snake, take some blood and fecal specimens and quarantine before introducing this snake to any of your current specimens.

Thanks

Looks like another purchase of a "rescue" snake to help perpetuate the cycle of sellers keeping animals housed in garbage....

But it does make you feel good to say that you "rescued" something doesn't it?

Seems to me that the small personal "feel good" one gets from perpetuating this cycle is not worth giving money to the people who keep animals this way.
    -Camp

0.0.1 Normal
    0.1 Spider

"...and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I'm meeting up with the couple today and getting the snake. I'll update later.