Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,364

1 members and 3,363 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Large vs Small Breeder

This is a general feedback post that welcomes any sort of info you have to contribute. There are obvious benefits that come from dealing with a larger established breeder that we are all aware of. This is not to say that small hobbyist breeders are not out there producing quality animals.

Unfortunately there are a lot of scammers out there which make it difficult for the small time good guys to find business and earn trust. What kind of things do you look for when viewing a website or ad from a small time breeder that makes you feel more at ease with the transaction? What are your thoughts on dealing with a small breeder vs. a larger breeder? Would you rather purchase from someone you actively see posting on forums? Is a lower price a major contributer to choosing a small breeder over a larger breeder?

I used to think that supporting the smaller hobbyist was the route that I wanted to go when purchasing my breeding stock. Now I start to get a bigger picture of the industry and I feel that supporting a small breeder could hinder my ability to sell my animals for the reason that they cannot be traced to a reputable source. How do you feel about this as a buyer? Is traceability important or do you judge the quality of an animal on a case by case basis.

I'm pretty much looking for any feedback on what small time breeders can or should do to get your business over the big boys. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Re: Large vs Small Breeder

C'mon folks don't be shy!
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

I don't think looking at a breeders post count on a forum, because look at MKR, they posted all the time on a forum I used to frequent.

I read the BOI first. Or talk to other customers, or both. Look at there livestock. Talk to them through emails or phone about the animals or about the species, and whether they ask me questions back. Hope its what your looking for.

Thanks

To me it doesn't matter - because you got this snake (or the parent) from so and so big breeder doesn't necessarily make you more legitimate, more trustworthy nor does it mean your stock is any higher in quality than this other breeder. I judge each animal on it's own merits and how it will fit into my collection and my projects.

I generally deal with small to mid size breeders because they tend to give me better customer service than some of the big breeders this includes having updated web pages and I can browse and compare their available stock - instead of having to email to inquire on availability.

All that being said - yeah there are people that think just because you got your animal from so and so big breeder that you have better stock or your extra $100 attached to the price tag might be worth it. I'm just not one of them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stangs13 View Post
    I don't think looking at a breeders post count on a forum, because look at MKR, they posted all the time on a forum I used to frequent.

I read the BOI first. Or talk to other customers, or both. Look at there livestock. Talk to them through emails or phone about the animals or about the species, and whether they ask me questions back. Hope its what your looking for.
    What are you thoughts when you look up a breeder on the BOI and find nothing?
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tosha_Mc View Post
    To me it doesn't matter - because you got this snake (or the parent) from so and so big breeder doesn't necessarily make you more legitimate, more trustworthy nor does it mean your stock is any higher in quality than this other breeder. I judge each animal on it's own merits and how it will fit into my collection and my projects.

I generally deal with small to mid size breeders because they tend to give me better customer service than some of the big breeders this includes having updated web pages and I can browse and compare their available stock - instead of having to email to inquire on availability.

All that being said - yeah there are people that think just because you got your animal from so and so big breeder that you have better stock or your extra $100 attached to the price tag might be worth it. I'm just not one of them.
    Thank you for your feedfack, this was the kind of input I was looking for. So you would definitely consider an up to date website as a plus for the small guys? Does the appearance of the website matter... for example self made amateur looking website that is up to date vs. a better flashy website that is also up to date?
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

The uses of buying from a well known established breeder is readily seen in the animals they produce. Would I buy a Nerd lemon pastel, or a pastel from this guy that has them for under $100 bucks a pop? Quality speaks for itself, and a lot of the time, those big guys have the time and sheer force in numbers to selectivly breed for better looking animals.

But do I have a preference when I'm just looking to buy an animal? Most often not, I shop and look for the nicest one I find. Then I do the usual BOI checks on the breeder, and feedback from other people like those on this site, and then I will decide whether or not I want this animal.

If through the grape vine I hear about this guy Chris who produces some KNOCK OUT axanthics, comparable to VPI's original daddy, then yes, this little breeder Chris will get a looky loo from me. Just because this Chris guy isnt huge in terms of numbers, doesnt mean he doesnt have some awesome animals and success with the few animals he produces.

But having those name's stuck on the lines of the snake does make a difference, because many times when it comes to certain lines, they do retain a certain amount of predictability when it comes to color, how they age and retain color, and the resale value of the next gen lines.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    If I find nothing, I usually don't deal with them then. The snake market is so interconnected, its kind of weird to not be on the BOI.

Thanks

Does the appearance of the website matter... for example self made amateur looking website that is up to date vs. a better flashy website that is also up to date?
    It's a bonus if you do a majority of breeding through online sales. It can be a great edge to have a professional looking sight to represent your professional business. A poor looking sight will get passed over, especially if it does not work properly. Breeders may not like it, but it's the truth for people that don't frequent shows.
    (There are always those exceptions)

As for most breeders that do the reptile shows and such, I don't think a website will matter when they do most of their deals in person. It's a huge bonus to meet the keeper and ask any questions and see the animal in person.

Generally, a clean, simple listing site with contact info and pictures is enough to make it work for potential buyers.

Thanks

If I don't see them on the BOI I create a thread bout them! Or I will just ask around.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast