Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,284

2 members and 3,282 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: GTP neonate update!!

Nice looking chondro you have there. Just be careful not to overfeed. Chondros are prone to prolapse. I've always heard to offer smaller than average rodents every 10-14 days, unless they get backed up, where you would wait even longer before feeding again. You also have to be very careful handling them until they are around a year old because their skin is really thin and they are prone to getting kinks and broken bones when they are young. Especially while prying them off their perch.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonWallace View Post
    Nice looking chondro you have there. Just be careful not to overfeed. Chondros are prone to prolapse. I've always heard to offer smaller than average rodents every 10-14 days, unless they get backed up, where you would wait even longer before feeding again. You also have to be very careful handling them until they are around a year old because their skin is really thin and they are prone to getting kinks and broken bones when they are young. Especially while prying them off their perch.
    Thanks for your reply! The only time hadnling occurs is during cleaning. I remove his perch while he's still on it and simply lay him(still on perch) into my hand and he comes off freely. I am sure to be very careful of my fragile young neonate.

Also, He passed a stool an hour or so prior to shed and I have been keeping track of his stool/ urate schedules closely. I feed every 6-7 days, a small pink mouse just beginning to develop hair. I have read that prolapse is more common among ETBs than chondros and sometimes people confuse the two. With Emeralds, you arent supposed to feed until the stool has passed. I have read that if the same practices are used with GTPs, underfeeding and malnutrition can occur. I cant find the exact link but some good gtp feeding info is found here:

http://www.finegtps.com/Care_sheets.html#FEEDING

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amcceney View Post
    Last night my little neo had his first shed since being with me. He'll get his 5th meal with me later tonight. I could not be happier with how well "he's" coming along with such great health and liveliness!

Almost complete dorsal stripe hoping to see lots of blue in his future!!

does this look like a good size/weight for a gtp this age? (hatched end of sept.)

Thanks

Gorgeous! Is he nippy?

Yes, be careful handling the first year. That is why we DIDN'T get one of these guys. We like to handle our snakes a lot.

Post more pictures if you have them. Thanks for sharing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12