Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,373

1 members and 3,372 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Reputation Points Etiquette

Just want to open up a discussion about reputation point etiquette.

I have a question or two.

1) What is the rep point etiquette when someone gives you a positive rep point? Should you just smile and feel warm and fuzzy all over? Or is it proper to thank the person who gave it to you? Or is that a bad thing or simply unnecessary?

2) Are there any other rep point etiquette tips you can provide for us unsavvy or new members?

One thing I know is it's not cool to neg rep someone simply for neg rep'ing you.

Please share your ideas. Thanks!

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Reputation Points Etiquette

I give Positive Rep points to the posts I feel are deserving of it, or of those that are of special significance to me.

I don't expect anything from it other than the people appreciating them, and knowing that I really liked what they had to say.

As for neg points, it will take a LOT for me to give them out, but if it is done, I make sure there is an explaination for it in the comment box.

Same to be said for the positive ones, even if it were to be a smiley or something.

One cannot expect anything out of the points given, for the most part.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good questions, Melissa.

When I give someone a pos rep for something, I don't expect to hear anything back from them. And except for one or two rare exceptions, I never do. I'm also not in the habit of acknowledging every rep point I receive. Not that I couldn't say something to someone, if the comment or post in question happened to spark conversation...but I don't feel obligated to do so, just as I don't expect anyone else to.

As for other tips...I'd say that when leaving a negative rep for someone, to consider it carefully. If you truly feel they've been disrespectful or offered bad advice, then make your mark and try to leave a message that will show them WHY you left it. But if you're just irked at them because of disagreement, or you just don't care for their "tone of voice"....those aren't good reasons to leave a neg rep, in my opinion.

And even when leaving a pos rep...I try to leave a note that lets the person know why I liked their post.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Thank you for your responses. I just wanted to get a take on other people's perspectives b/c I have said thanks for rep points before (in PM) and never heard back. So I was worried that thanking people was bad. OK, I know, that is a scary view into my tendency toward paranoia, but that's b/c you don't quite get what is going on in other people's heads on the internet.

I always explain my points. I have only given negs once or twice and for glaringly offensive comments (like, "you probably killed your snake and can't confess"). My only regret is that I wish I could remember more to give pos rep points where deserved. I often forget, but those who get them from me REALLY deserve them for a good job.

Also, one more idea - I feel felt that a pos rep point from a well-respected member or a mod/admin is like GOLD.