Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,302

4 members and 3,298 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question Cinny and Black Pastel Genetics ???

Okay the Cinny Black Pastel is a black snake like the Super Cinny or Super Black Pastel. There are obvious differences between the 2 morphs. My question is there information or documentation of the Black snake from the Cinny X Black pastel bred to a normal and the outcome. I would be interested in the offspring produced. Did it produce normals, Cinnys, and Black Pastels , which would indicate that they were different mutations of the same allele or gene. Or did a black snake pop out to which would indicate they were mutations of different alleles or genes. I know that the outcome of one of these breedings is not proof either way so multiple clutches produced from one of these animals back to normals would be more evidence to the underlying truth. Please feel free to comment and give me your opinions and theorie. Information from actual breeding would be great. Just something to think about.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Cinny and Black Pastel Genetics ???

I'd be surprised if the black snake from cinnamon X black pastel could produce any black snakes or normals when bred to a normal. In other words, I think cinnamon and black pastel are an allele pair; two different mutations of the same gene. But, I don't recall hearing any black snake breeding results to back this up. Actually if such a breeding did produce even one normal or black snake it would prove they where different genes all together as long as you could be sure sperm retention or Parthenogenesis didn't cause any normals. But, if it only produced about 50/50 cinnamon and black pastel as you point out it wouldn't be absolute proof as one such clutch could be just luck.

Thanks

Re: Cinny and Black Pastel Genetics ???

Thank you Randy for your input on this. After read your post I also realized my mistake. Normals would not come out of that breeding if they were different mutations of the same gene. I guess I was just focussing on the Black snake. If there is anyone out there that has done this breeding I would love to hear your input. I guess the ideal pairing on this after reading Randy's post would be with Virgins to rule out sperm retention. I don't know how you can rule out Parthenogenesis without DNA testing, but I really don't think there is much of a chance of that in my opinion. Multiple clutches from that pairing also would be good just to rule out the luck factor.Oh By the way, I really enjoyed listening to you on Reptile Radio.