Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,161

0 members and 3,161 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Re: African soft hairs.

No one is saying you should cancel your transaction, just check into how they are being shipped. After all, it's not that hard to email someone to ask, is it?
    I heard ASF are not as common up in the NE for some reason, I guess it might be true. Are there any shows soon that you might find some?
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

I can't currently find my link on shipping live rodents but if memory serves it's incredibly expensive and only done by air. Ground carriers as far as I know won't accept mammals for shipment. I think rodents are covered under USDA regulations and they can be very strict. I'll keep checking...I know I had a link with this information somewhere.

We have ASF's. We got our original trio from a vendor at a reptile show and paid $5.00 per rat.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Only reptile show up here isn't all that big and they don't have much of a selection of live rodents (if they even sell live I don't recall seeing any). Check NERD, not sure if they use ASF's but someone might know someone that sells them. I've been looking myself for the past couple months and have come up empty
    1.0 Hypo RTB - Kotex * 1.0 Spider BP - Master Chief * 1.0 Pastel BP - Snakey * 0.3 Normal BP's - Cortana, Baby Girl & Straga

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Enve View Post
    Only reptile show up here isn't all that big and they don't have much of a selection of live rodents (if they even sell live I don't recall seeing any). Check NERD, not sure if they use ASF's but someone might know someone that sells them. I've been looking myself for the past couple months and have come up empty
    i just told you one and hes less than an hour away from you.

Thanks

I would see if any local pet stores can order them in for you. My nearby shop has them for $5.00 apiece live. Normal rats there are $3, for comparison.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    We have ASF's. We got our original trio from a vendor at a reptile show and paid $5.00 per rat.
    The regular price at the DuPage County, IL show is $3. I paid $2ea for a group of 20 about 8 months ago, and I now have hundreds of them.

They don't grow as quickly as rats, but they have large litters and breed young to make up the difference. They raise the young as a community and don't mind a crowded tank, so you don't need birthing bins. The piles of babies of all sizes are unbelievably cute.

I find that I need to use aquariums or bins rather than cages, since no cage will hold an ASFR juvie. They're active almost from birth.

I currently have six 20gal tanks devoted to ASFRs, and plan to add a shelf above with six more in the near future. Ideally I'd like to replace my rat colony with ASFRs, since ASFRs are very low-odor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki View Post
    Typically air freight ... but they can be "delivered" via ground cargo if the distance isn't too great.

Since the word "shipped" was used, the assumption I think would be "air" ... but you know what they say about "assuming" ... Noel could have just mis-typed that part. who knows

-adam
    Thanks I was not very sure on how this is done. Thank you for informing me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12