Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,216

0 members and 3,216 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

Colony Collapse - Food Tainted

I am not sure this thread will really help anyone as what happened to me is nearly impossible to "see" ahead of time.

First the background...I have been breeding rats for over 10 years (both as show animals/pets and feeders). I keep not only "lab rats" great breeders and perfect feeders but also all sorts for fancy rats (blues, dumbos, harley, rex, etc.). About 5 years ago I started looking for a better food and hooked up with a feed supplier that custom made the food to what I wanted (similar to Muzuri and Tekland feeds). The benefit was I could but in large amounts at a great price...but still get an excellent high quality feed.

My last order of food was delivered on 12/15...I have about 300+ rats and was nearly out so all of them started the new supply. This is nothing new and like I said I have been using this feed for 5 years. Well the week of Xmas I went outside to clean cages and check on every one noticed 5 of my breeders were dead. They were older so I didn't think too much of it, next day 5 more were dead...ok now this was strange. Checked all the water lines, made sure everyone had food, checked everyone out so signs of infection they just seemed to die of old age. Over the next week half the colony had died...again no signs one day they were fine the next they were dead. Fast forward to today...I have 10 rats left (of 300!!!). After a lot of research and testing it was determined that the soybean meal (from Korea) was tainted with Formaldehyde. I have the food and drug admin involved but will pry never know what happened.

So long story short short is I am starting my colony over...I lost a lot of long time very sweet rats, some one of a kind colors and patterns and pets I have had forever (including my oldest a 4 year old ). Since my food is custom made I cannot blame a manufacturer as tons of soybeans and other grains are imported these days.

Just thought I would pass on this sad note...and to say if you ever have a series of strange deaths to check the food.
    Sean

Thanks

Re: Colony Collapse - Food Tainted

OMG how sad. I am sooo sorry for your loss.
    Layna

Thanks

Oh no Sean! How gawd awful for you and what a waste of good rats and all those years of breeding. If there is anything I can do to help you with some foundation stock please just let me know.

Thank you for sharing this difficult experience so others can be aware of the possibility of this happening.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    If there is anything I can do to help you with some foundation stock please just let me know.
    Thanks Jo...I am still trying to sort it out. I got 30 new girls just a mixture (but lost all my "special" rats only one left is a male Rex). But that is a great idea if I could get a few from several people that would give me a great diversified blood lines. Next time I head your way I will take you up on your generous offer (or you make it to Indy).

Anyone else have a few females they could spare to a good cause?
    Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you're ever in Atlanta - you're welcome to as many females as I have available!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    If you're ever in Atlanta - you're welcome to as many females as I have available!
    Thanks Robin...I appreciate the offer.
    Sean

Thanks

I haven't been to Indy in way, way too many years but if you're heading this way, you just let me know and you're welcome to drop by and grab as many up as you need. So sorry this happened Sean, I know you had a lot of lines you were tinkering with and a lot of good work went down the tubes with the lose of your colony.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Oh yea...I should also mention that I had several of my snakes tested for formaldehyde poisoning. According to the vet not enough formaldehyde is passed via milk (it gets broken down) so the offspring didn't have high concentrations (like the breeders did) and then via the digestion in snakes even more is destoyed...so none of the snakes tested had any signs of formaldehyde in their systems.

I have also replaced all the food (for free via the manufacturer) and had it tested prior to starting to feed it.

So it looks like the worst is behind me but boy what a rough sad road.
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    I know you had a lot of lines you were tinkering with and a lot of good work went down the tubes with the lose of your colony.
    Very true...but on a good note my one female blue dumbo that I worked so long to produce actually got adopted by my kids so she is OK as they feed her table foods so she ate very little of the tainted stuff.
    Sean

Thanks

This is so heartbreaking! I don't know how I would handle it since most if not all of my rats are awesome and I consider my pets. Im so sorry to read this.

You know I will give you some in a heart beat. If your ever by the Taylor show way we can mix some girls up for you. Get you back some R. Blues into your lines. Please don't hesistate to contact me!!

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast