Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,409

5 members and 3,404 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: What should I consider for getting 1st JCP?

Dsirkle, yes, I hope that this is one time I don't have to be leary of Craig's List. She said that she had 11 snakes and was "down-sizing" b/c they are moving in a few months. Regardless though of anything she says or claims, my impression is that anyone who keeps their snakes in tubs probably knows their stuff. I'm actually hoping that this will help us make the transition to tubs, too.

Dalvers63, your post cracked me up. I am glad you are still working with yours. I plan to do the same. More addictive than BP's? We're in trouble!

I explained how I'll have to work with the snake to my 6 year old today, and he asked, "What if it keeps biting you?" I said, "I'll just keep trying." I talked about how some people give up on their pets, but I hope to be someone who never does. And I told him how I hope to see "what I am made of." Our BP and KSB are easy to be good snake keepers with. But the JCP will show us what kind of snake keepers we really are.

I am very excited! I have a positive attitiude about it and am willing to keep at it even if the snake doesn't have a positive attitude!

Anyone have any links to their favorite care sheet for JCP's? I found one or two but they were somewhat sparse. And tell me more JCP stories so I can have my fix before I get him/her!

I forgot to ask. If it was eating two live adult mice a week, should I do that once he/she settles in? Or should I try to switch to F/T right away - what about trying a rat pup? What kind of eaters are they?
    Last edited by MelissaFlipski; 01-08-2008 at 02:04 AM. Reason: added question on eating

Thanks

Melissa

Congrats on your pickup, I think you will really fall in love with carpets as most people who get into them do. I don't know if you have ever visited here but take a look, it is good for all things Morelia. The address is www.moreliapythons.com lot of good info and a good group. To go to your feeding question I am not to sure it matters that much. If you want to try a F/T right away try it. The worst thing that can happen is it gets refused. I think you will be able to get that little one switched to F/T. Jungles tend to be hard to get to take rats. Most people try to get them onto rats as young as possible. I would suggest doing one thing at a time. Going from live to F/T and then try to move from mice to rats. At any rate congrats again

Chuck

Thanks

You know what I just went back and reread the original post. I would try F/T rats right away. I think if it has eaten them in the past and has taken frozen thawed then it will eat them again. It may refuse but that is alright give it another week and try again. It maybe more receptive to F/T rats if its good and hungry, and you could try to scent the rat with a little mouse that might help also. Let us know how it goes.

Chuck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaFlipski View Post

I forgot to ask. If it was eating two live adult mice a week, should I do that once he/she settles in? Or should I try to switch to F/T right away - what about trying a rat pup? What kind of eaters are they?
    I would start on F/T rats also. Look at the snake when you get it and see what you think in regards to size. Most carpets take a bit larger meals than other snakes. My yearling JCP is now on rat pups and ready to move up to weaned rats soon. They are voracious eaters if you get a good one! Just watch your fingers when it comes time to feed them.

Deb

iHerp. Do you?

Thanks

one thing you can do for handling is wear a glove or sock until it gets used to being handled... this will reduce your heat signature and make it much less likely to bite and ease your fear of getting nipped. they are great fun though, and addicting, so watchout! check out australianaddiction.com for a JCP caresheet.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

Talking Re: What should I consider for getting 1st JCP?

Thanks everyone!

I picked him up tonight. He was fine when I went to his former home to get him (I even held him with no problems then), but is striking at anyone who tries to take him out of his tub right now. We'll give him awhile to settle in, maybe a week, and try again - if we can be that patient. We'll try to feed him in a week or two.

He does not have a name yet... officially.

Given the striking and stress, you'll have to wait for more pictures! I'll post an update and pictures later in a new thread.

Yay! Our new baby is home and he's gorgeous!

Now the challenge begins...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dalvers63 View Post
    Enjoy your first Morelia! I find them more addicting than ball pythons (guess that's why I have 7 now and am waiting on another!).
    Deb, you are so right. Not even ONE week into this, I have to agree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12