Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

1 members and 3,181 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks

reptile humidifier

I was wondering if anybody every tried sing one of these

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod...tm_term=199226

I'm thinking it would work great just looking for some feedback. I have a 20 gal. pump here from the last fish tank set-up my wife had. and these things are like 20 bucks.

thanks

Thanks

Re: reptile humidifier

theres a DIY on building a humidifier in the caresheets section

Thanks

yeah I saw that, however my daughter would get into that and make a mess. with the store bought one she wouldn't know what it was and would leave it alone. she sees water in a 2 liter and see be trying to drink it,water plants,give it to the dog.

gotta love the terrible 2's.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I would be concerned how that controls the humidity. Too much can cause problems such as mold, scale rot and other illnesses. One winter I ran a humidifier but it got too humid. Now I use a humidifier with a humidistat control made by Ranco

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/in...=11&enter.y=13

I now keep a humidifier in my snake room controled by this device and can keep humidity at the level you want. I shoot for 45% in the room knowing the enclosures will be a bit higher.

I would keep the humidifier on a table where the little ones cant reach. (I have the same issue)

Thanks

I used that very model in my 20galL tank for over a year when my bp was young. I lived in a place w/ gas heat and w/o running it I could never get the humidity above 39% unless misting several times a day. I had the screen top covered on the outside w/ duct tape and had a triangle in each corner cut out for airflow.
    I also had a small heat light w/ a 50watt red heat bulb about 1" above the top with a circle cut out about 1/2" bigger than the dimension of the lamp I also had a uth on the hot side.
    With that combo and using the Tropic humidifer I kept the humidity at a level 55%. It worked great w/ no problems whatsoever. That bp that was in that tank is now a 5yo old and very healthy and happy and has always been.
    Hope this helps.
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks

You control the humidity with the level of water inside... More water higher humidity... When I used them I always kept it full... and when it was low... I got the same humidity readings? Youd be surprised as it just barely pumps out fresh air/humidity. If your using a heat light you def want the set up on the opposite side of the tank. If you dont youll just be adding humidity to be sucked up by the light, not helping your humidity proble.They get the job done but dont work nearly as well as a room humidifier. If you only have a couple snakes and have humidity problems I def reccommend buying this. Also think about investing in plexi glass to cover the top of your tank to keep the humidity in once youve created it.
    snakes

Thanks

I live in tucson,az. if it rains 20 times all year it was alot. there is no humidity in this state at all. (well from phoenix down to mexico)

I have a day light,and a night light both about 6 inches above the top of my tank. 2 uth one on each side both controlled by zoo med 500r's (find them on clearence for 12.99 each) on top I have to pieces of plexiglass with foil tape. in the center I have an open area for fresh air to get in/out.I'm going to pick up some aspen and try that aswell.

I'm going to give it a shot, if need be I'll block off some of the holes or put it on a timer.

when I get it done I'll post some pics, and results

Thanks

Is it that cold in AZ where you need 2 UTH and a heat light? I always thought it be much easier to get the temps correct in the south... guess you learn something new everyday!
    snakes

Thanks

no it's not that cold. it's not really used as a heat lamp, I have it high enough that weather it's on or off the inside temp stays about 75-78. the one uth stays about 89-92, and the colder side stays at 81-85. I use it for my day/night cycle.I have no idea how things will change in a few months when it gets back up to 100+ out side. right now it's pretty cold though. mid 50's-60's today.

Thanks

I own that exact model of Humidifier actually. I use it ALL the time and it works out well. I onyl have to repalce the water in it about 2 times a week. I use a glass tank for Mojo and his temp/Humidity is always spot on so.