Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,011

1 members and 3,010 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai

Thread: Handling

Registered User Fenderplayer104's Avatar
    Thanks

Handling

I have been posting alot of questions about this im just curious.

How should i first beggin handling my new ball should i take him out completly or should i just gently pet him in his tank until he calms down?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Handling

The very first thing you want to do is give him a chance to get to know he is safe in his new home, usually a week or two. After that pick him up and hold him outside his home and let him crawl around on your hands, arms or lap...just dont let him get away...lol...I would limit holding time at first to keep from stressing him too much, maybe 15 mins or so for the first few days and he should start to settle down and be getting comfortable with you.

Good luck!!
    ~Jason~

0.1 Normal
    1.0 Pastel

Thanks

With any new snake we get we first focus on settling the snake in, feeding it, changing it's water, doing cage maintenance, weighing the snake and so forth. We don't even bother with handling at first other than for the above mentioned things and just act very calm and matter of fact around the snake. This I think allows them to begin to recognize us as non-threatening and a scent/heat signature that they can begin to recognize in a very basic manner.

Once they've been here a few weeks and are eating and settling in well, we just reach in, gently touch the snake down the lower third of it's body to let it know it's coming out of it's enclosure (we do this every single time a snake is to be taken out), then lift the snake out and sit quietly with it. After enough repitition of this most of them begin to recognize that body stroke = handling time and it's no big deal or anything to get defensive about.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

i think im just lucky but i wait till hes up and about then i just put my hand in the tank and he comes out by himself then i just let him move around my hands and fingers. i handle mine for 10 minutes daily exept the 2 days after feeding and i only have had him for a month i think it depends on the snake like i said i think im very lucky but when he wont come out on his own i just touch him by his tail then i scoop him from his middle