Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,922

2 members and 1,920 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum
    Thanks

Lightbulb Illness, infections and diseases

Happy New Years to all!!

Can I say again how glad I am that I found this site! I love how informative it is, how much I've learned and how helpful everybody is and more important, the snakes health is tops on everybody's list. THANK YOU!!

I have one question ....is there anywhere on the forum that gives information on the different illnesses, infections and diseases? I've read a little bit here and there but something more indepth would be very beneficial to me and perhaps some other first time owners. I don't know what to look for and God forbid, should something go wrong, what do I need to do?

I've read mostly about RI which I'm assuming is a respitory infection but I don't know all the signs and symptoms. I have no clue what IBD is or what to look for.

I'm really concerned because we were told to dust the bottom of the tank with seven-dust to help prevent mites. I'm understanding that using this pesticide is a big no-no so we are in the process of correcting it. The bedding will be completely removed and the tank cleaned prior to putting new bedding in this evening. What would be best to clean the tank out with? I'm not comfortable just using water and without some direction, I don't want to use any kind of cleaners or chemicals.

Thanks again for all of your help! We really do appreciate it.

Tanya

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Illness, infections and diseases

Happy new year back at you.

If you have a mite problem you can use Provent-A-Mite, it is the only product that has undergone 14 years of research and that is safe to use with reptiles.
    PAM will eradicate all stages of development of mites for good, it can be purchased here http://www.entirelypets.com/proventamite.html

Here are some info on snake's health issues http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00338.htm
    I have no clue what IBD is or what to look for.
    IBD is believed to be retrovirus; here are some information on the subject http://www.pkreptiles.com/informatio...ticles/ibd.asp
    What would be best to clean the tank out with?
    Different people use different products, I mainly use Chlorhexidine http://www.agri-med.com/site/255063/product/CHLRHX2SOL for spot cleaning and weekly cleaning, than once a month I use a 5% to 10 % Bleach solution.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome to BP.net! I'm glad you found your way to us!

We do not have a comprehensive list of possible BP ailments...sorry! Sounds like a good project for someone to work on, though.

Symptoms for an RI (you're correct that it is a Repsiratory Infection)...early on...wheezing, open mouth breathing, popping or bubbly sounds while breathing, constantly laying with the head tilted upward....and more advanced signs...drooling, mucous build-up in the mouth and/or throat, slimey deposits along the sides of the enclosure and its furniture.

Only a vet can say for sure if your snake has an RI, and it's best to get a culture because they can be caused by a variety of different bugs and it's best to be sure you're treating the right one.

As for the sevin dust....I'd certainly never use it, although I've heard of experienced keepers using it without ill effect. The fact that it HAS been used is not an intant death sentence at all, but if you feel most comfortable in removing it, I'd encourage you to do so. A thorough, complete rinsing with lots and lots of water should be enough...and then make sure the enclosure is completely dried before putting fresh bedding and cleaned "furniture" back in.

For regular cleaning, you can use a diluted bleach solution, but be sure to rinse rinse rinse well. Another product that is safer and easier than bleach is chlorohexadine.

Do you actually have mites? Or were you just trying to use preventative steps? Either way, I'd highly recommend a product called Provent-a-Mite. Google it (make sure you spell it right) and you'll find several sources to buy it online. Use as directed and it's very safe.

I hope that's been somewhat helpful!
    -- Judy

Thanks

Thank you for the quick reply!

As far as I know, no mites here. I guess the seven-dust was intended as mite prevention. It sounded like a good idea at the time but now that I'm learning, I would feel better removing the bedding and starting over. It's better to be safe than sorry.

I don't know how those who believe in it acutally use it but the pet shop who set the tank up for us spread a very little amount across the bottom of our 20L tank. I'm talking maybe a teaspoon, if that. Then, about an inch of repti-bark was placed over top of it. If I understand other posts correctly (which I probably didn't), they were using the dust to treat the snakes with which sounds way too dangerous.

I had one more question, if you don't mind ....What do you do with your snakes when the bug man comes? Is there any concern with that? I had some typical florida lizards in my office (which is just a small building outside the house) and I was concerned about it killing the lizards and he said it shouldn't hurt them at all. So, if it's ok for them, should what he uses be ok for our bp?

Thank you for all the information and links. I will certainly look into all of it and soak up as much as possible. I'll get that PAM and cleaning stuff ASAP as well.

Thanks a bunch!
    Tanya

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I probably wouldn't want him around while he's spraying, not until it completely dries, there's no telling what the fumes when inhaled might do without knowing exactly what he's using. Even with Provent-A-Mite, you need to let it completely dry before putting the snake back in.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've just had the bug guys avoid the rooms with the animals (they're not bug-prone areas or bug-traffic areas anyhow)...and if a critter were too close to a ground level window or door that needed spraying, I'd just move it to an inner room/wall that could be left alone. There really isn't much in the way of fumes with the indoor sprays they use today...and they just go along the baseboards. I can only smell a very mild odor right after they've sprayed and within a few minutes it's gone completely. It's never hurt my snakes or lizard.
    -- Judy