Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,184

0 members and 3,184 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 426 Posts

Re: Tap or Dechlorinated water

Quote Originally Posted by spellspell View Post
    trace pesticide residue in water (nasty!) and i know fish are very sensitive to it (the EPA tracks it pretty carefully) so much that it can ruin their development. I imagine a snake would be similarly sensitive.
    Aquatic animals are distinctly sensitive to chemical pollution, and especially pesticides. Reptiles are not, generally.

Compared toxicity of chemicals to reptiles and other vertebrates

If tap water is safe for human consumption, it is safe for snake consumption. I use RO water usually, simply because that's what I use for a lot of purposes in the reptile room. The 'no minerals' issue isn't much of a concern for snakes, since unlike humans snakes drink very little water (and also unlike most humans snakes have a pretty decent diet) and so don't depend on water for a mineral source.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-14-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,840 Times in 11,852 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D-.No View Post
    ...Is it common practice to use Pedialyte in the drinking water? ...
    I've never heard of anyone else doing that- And personally I've only added some form of electrolytes (& unflavored Pedialyte is a viable option) when snakes are dehydrated, ill or heat stressed (as with rescues taken in). IMO-That would be a good question to ask an experienced herp vet as to their recommendation.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-14-2022 at 12:17 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've never heard of anyone else doing that- And personally I've only added some form of electrolytes (& unflavored Pedialyte is a viable option) when snakes are dehydrated, ill or heat stressed (as with rescues taken in). IMO-That would be a good question to ask an experienced herp vet as to their recommendation.
    From what I have learned at my internship, while I don't necessarily think using pedialyte is harming your snake, I don't thing theres any benefit to it either. Unless it isn't eating and is getting dehydrated because it isn't ingesting moisture from its food, it really isn't doing much. Generally, you don't wasn't to add any medications or supplements except for things like regular vitamins and calcium, wound care ointments/supplies, and pedialyte when dehydration is obvious unless it is approved by a vet. It can be very easy to use OTC livestock/pet meds or supplements which result in worsening a condition, or simply act as a "bandaid" to a bigger problem. Again, I don't think the pedialyte is causing any issues at all. I'm more referring to the "My snake has a really bad and really noticeable URI that is worsening and causing quality of life issues, but I'm still going to approach it with only at home remedies without any veterinary interference." sort of situations.

This is just my two cents on this topic, and since at this point I am basically a veterinary assistant in training, my advice here shouldn't be placed above that given by your actual herp vet. So just take it with a grain of salt
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-14-2022),Homebody (11-14-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    Generally, you don't wasn't to add any medications or supplements except for things like regular vitamins and calcium, wound care ointments/supplies, and pedialyte when dehydration is obvious unless it is approved by a vet.
    Supplementing vitamins and calcium for (rodent eating) snakes is demonstrably a bad idea. Rodent prey already has ideal or borderline excessive (in the case of Vitamin A) levels of all nutrients, and there is no reason for routine addition of more (and plenty of reason against, including messing up the near perfect calcium/phosphorus balance of whole rodent prey).

Supplementation needs are (a) taxon specific (the reptile family/genus/even species in some cases) , (b) diet specific (e.g. rodents vs fish vs insects vs other reptiles), and product specific (i.e. whether a product is formulated for daily dosing -- such as Repashy Calcium Plus -- or occasional/PRN use -- such as Repashy Vitamin A).

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    idk if it is common practice but it is just something i have been doing - picked it up while researching snake medical stuff
    I'd be interested in links to data/research/recommendations on this. Since snakes don't perspire, and don't lose electrolytes in liquid wastes like most mammals do, the reasoning behind routine addition of salt and sugar to snakes' diets sounds like it might be interesting.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-14-2022),Homebody (11-14-2022)

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Ugh, can't believe I forget to mention this part again. Bad habits really don't like to go away, lol. I meant reptiles as a whole, obviously DO NOT give random supplements to your reptile if it isn't a general practice for the species or isn't being recommended by a vet. Sorry about that!
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (11-14-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    From what I have learned at my internship, while I don't necessarily think using pedialyte is harming your snake, I don't thing theres any benefit to it either.....
    I agree, it's likely to be just a waste of Pedialyte, though at some point it could be excessive & put some things out of balance. Since it's formulated for humans, not snakes, I'd be very cautious.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (11-15-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    ...I'd be interested in links to data/research/recommendations on this. Since snakes don't perspire, and don't lose electrolytes in liquid wastes like most mammals do, the reasoning behind routine addition of salt and sugar to snakes' diets sounds like it might be interesting.
    I tend to think that a little goes a long way- the rare times I've added any electrolytes, it was very little anyway. I'd never do so "routinely".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123