Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,341

2 members and 3,339 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Tap or Dechlorinated water

Thanks everyone! I know that there are things besides chlorine added to the water. My brother works for the city and works with the water distribution system...waste/storm and water supply both. There are things like Floride as well that are often added to public water systems...

Thanks again!
    ~Jason~

0.1 Normal
    1.0 Pastel

Thanks
    I know tapwater is fine but I’ve been using bottled water mostly but when I originally setting up my new Roxies home I bought a bottle of Exo Terra Aquatize that I just started using. Kind of a dumb question but this is a fine product for BP’s right?

Thanks
    i live where there movie “Dark Waters” takes place - there is no way in hell myself or any of snakes are drinking this - i use distilled water for misting/humidity and soaking bowls - i use spring water for their drinking water such as Fiji, Evian, VOSS, Solán de Cabras, etc - i also have been mixing in a little bit of non-flavored pedialyte to boost their electrolytes every so often
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 10-15-2022 at 08:33 AM.
    het for nothing but groovy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    i live where there movie “Dark Waters” takes place - there is no way in hell myself or any of snakes are drinking this - i use distilled water for misting/humidity and soaking bowls - i use spring water for their drinking water such as Fiji, Evian, VOSS, Solán de Cabras, etc - i also have been mixing in a little bit of non-flavored pedialyte to boost their electrolytes every so often
    Interesting. I’ve been avoiding distilled water just because there is no signs of minerals and nutrients. But up to this point she’s been getting high quality bottled water. I just started her on the treated water, I haven’t heard anyone say no to it but it makes sense to neutralize the water from the chemical elements that our tap have water has.

And I have not heard of anyone using Pedialyte unless it’s a medical/shed issue that needs to be used

5. The Following User Says Thank You to D-.No For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (10-15-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D-.No View Post
    ...I’ve been avoiding distilled water...
    It's not good for them to drink- it's only good for misting (so as to avoid hard water spots that are miserable to clean off).

I mostly use tap water here- it's pretty good- but sometimes add Reptisafe.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (11-14-2022),D-.No (10-15-2022),Spicey (10-16-2022),YungRasputin (10-15-2022)

Thanks

Interesting. I’ve been avoiding distilled water just because there is no signs of minerals and nutrients. But up to this point she’s been getting high quality bottled water. I just started her on the treated water, I haven’t heard anyone say no to it but it makes sense to neutralize the water from the chemical elements that our tap have water has.

And I have not heard of anyone using Pedialyte unless it’s a medical/shed issue that needs to be used
    i have been putting a little pedialyte into their soaking bowls just in case they’ve been drinking from this - i plan to switch to spring water for that here soon tho - i also see it being the same as you or i having a Gatorade - it’s good for us once in awhile (also good for medical reasons too)

as Bogs mentioned the big reason i use distilled water for misting is it eliminates the hard water spots that accumulate over time which can’t be removed with simple cleaning - it can be removed, it’s just a tremendous pain tbh and i have a lot of jungle species (Burms, red tail, etc) which need an elevated humidity range and thus a lot of misting and so on

but what i have also noticed is that my Burms, coastals, etc will drink the droplets that remain on the sides of the enclosure so i wanted something real pure and uncontaminated for that reason too
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 10-15-2022 at 04:51 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-15-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    ... what i have also noticed is that my Burms, coastals, etc will drink the droplets that remain on the sides of the enclosure so i wanted something real pure and uncontaminated for that reason too
    Most snakes will drink water droplets. I think it's pretty cute, but in the wild it's a necessity to drink off leaves etc. They'll also drink water drops off their own coils- -it's like, whatever works.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (10-16-2022)

Thanks

Tap or Dechlorinated water

I don’t know if my girl is drinking droplets but she definitely goes around licking them. That’s great advice guys on the misting with distilled water especially when I invest in a fancy cage.

Is it common practice to use Pedialyte in the drinking water?

Seems like it would be a good idea if you said take a short vacation and left your snake alone for a while when you come home. And no I don’t have any plans of leaving my baby VP home alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by D-.No; 10-15-2022 at 06:46 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to D-.No For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (10-16-2022)

Thanks

I don’t know if my girl is drinking droplets but she definitely goes around licking them. That’s great advice guys on the misting with distilled water especially when I invest in a fancy cage.

Is it common practice to use Pedialyte in the drinking water?

Seems like it would be a good idea if you said take a short vacation and left your snake alone for a while when you come home. And no I don’t have any plans of leaving my baby VP home alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    idk if it is common practice but it is just something i have been doing - picked it up while researching snake medical stuff

15. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

D-.No (10-16-2022)

Thanks
    I'm a bit concerned about a snake getting unfiltered tap water. yeah there's the chlorine but there's also pretty often trace pesticide residue in water (nasty!) and i know fish are very sensitive to it (the EPA tracks it pretty carefully) so much that it can ruin their development. I imagine a snake would be similarly sensitive. Baically I want the absolute best water filter avilble and i know a lot of them really cant filter as well as they say. I've been researching. Like "berkey" says they can do everything but if you actually look into it they apparently are really questionable if their filter works that well at all. I'm looking for real proof that a water filter really gets the chemicals out. I'm leaning towards the clearlyfiltered model here. I'd fill the waterer up with it every morning, I think it would be convenient enough. Long story short, do you guys think that one would be good? what filter do you all like? Thank you so much

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spellspell For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-14-2022),Homebody (11-14-2022)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast