Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,163

1 members and 3,162 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

View Poll Results: What would you do if there was a black widow in an area in which children play?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • kill it

71 51.45%
  • safely move it

49 35.51%
  • leave it there

18 13.04%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: black widow placed web on telephone pole and side walk, what should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by edie View Post
    Looks like an Argiope sp. they're harmless to humans, and actually really beautiful! I always wished that we had some in AZ
    You got the name correct, thanks, I forgot the name of them. Yes they are really beautiful.. i love the pattern in the web.
    Stephanie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptile3 View Post
    You got the name correct, thanks, I forgot the name of them. Yes they are really beautiful.. i love the pattern in the web.
    they're really big too right? the only time i've seen them in person was when i went to texas last year but i wasn't able to get close enough to really check one out

Thanks

I voted to leave it alone.. Here is some pictures of a spider we get every fall... We had about 7 of them, I left them alone!!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/100_0150.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/100_0152.jpg
    We had those down in FL when I lived there....... we called them bannana spiders and if I remember correctly they are jumpers. No wonder I'm afraid of spiders!!! They are very beautiful though!! I haven't seen them down there in years.
    Felicia "Fe" Wares
    www.WaresIronBalls.com

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BalloonzForU View Post
    No wonder I'm afraid of spiders!!! They are very beautiful though!!
    Me too...

Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I have alot of black widows where I live the are not aggressive and usually people get bit by not realizing and leaning on them. I knew a plummer that got bit and his stomach muscles started spasming violently very weird.They can be very dangerous to small children and the elderly. With that in mind if there are small children in the area I would remove it live or dead. Where there is one there are others and they do multiply fast.. The safety of the children comes first. I have lots of tubs of crickets( for Beardies) and the spiders love my place(many escapees) so I see Black widows constantly.

Thanks

Im dont like spiders very much but have never had problems moving them. I find them near the house every once in a while were I let my dog out and I always move them to a different place full of bushes and no human contact in the area cuz its blocked off. When theyre in a web I usually get them onto a piece of paper and move them but when out in the open I dont have a problem letting ANY type of spider crawl onto my hand. I know it sounds dumb But I have not once been bit by a spider while moving it. I believe spiders can tell whether your out to hurt them or not. I move slow and let it walk onto my hand, never any forcing.
    In the end, we will all die alone

Thanks

I would set in en fuego.

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks

I voted to leave it alone.. Here is some pictures of a spider we get every fall... We had about 7 of them, I left them alone!!

We had ones kind of like those, but sometimes they were bright orange as well. My grandpa called them orb spiders and wouldn't let us kill them- he said they caught tons of various bugs that he didn't want around.

I saw one spin a web about 6 feet across once... I didn't even see it until I was right on it and the light caught it- then my eyes focused and I realized that I was very close to running around flapping my arms and screaming!
    1.0 Husband (Aaron)
    1.0 Normal (Milton)
    1.0 Puppy (Ollie)

Thanks

Those are St Andrews spiders....they are garden type and not venomous...they will weave a zig zag right where they sit in the middle of the web....the reason is, when prey flies into their web, they shake the heck out of the web to confuse and entangle....once they have veryone snug and wrapped up...they have that zig zag to rebuild from......

they sit at rest with their legs in pairs....making them look like a "cross"....they're absolutely beautiful

and the ONLY reason I know anything about them is....we have them outside and they were wayyyy too pretty to squish....LOTS of research....there are tons of different species....so bright you would think they would be poisonous...they're not...

I tossed a couple of ants into their webs....as close as I would get....they're beautiful tho....

i could never own a bug....LOL....even with house spiders it's "honeyyyyy get it!!!!!!!!!!....don't hurt it, just let it out....NO NO, not by MEEE!!!! let it outsideeeee".....LOL

Thanks

maybe it's one of those new government experimental genetic mutation super black widow spiders...

but on a serious note... call spiderman he'll know what to do
    -Kevin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast